Doing a cargo conversion in Ann Arbor, MI area

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Doing a cargo conversion in Ann Arbor, MI area

Postby HarrisonWithers » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:18 am

Hey folks, thanks for having me.

I'm a long-time motorcycle racer, which means I've always had a way transporting motorcycles to and from the track. Life circumstances are such that I had to put a hold on racing bikes, but has left me with a nice MTI aluminum 5x8 v-nose. I've slept in it plenty, with just an air mattress on the floor, but it can be a bit uncomfortable in the peak of summer.

While I can't race motorcycles at the moment, it doesn't mean that I don't race. I've taken up Standup Paddleboard racing, and help run http://www.midwestpaddleleague.com. During the summer i try to do 10+ races across the midwest. The hotel bills are starting to add up, so I got it in my head to get a small trailer. I was super interested in the Microlite Car-go Lite Xtreme and the InTech Flyer Explore, but the price tags just seemed a bit high, and my GF pointed out to me that I probably wouldn't want to haul the stuff I do in my cargo trailer with something that nice. It occurred to me that I already had a great trailer to start from. My criteria for what I wanted could be all there:
- Ability to haul a motorcycle
- Utility to move "stuff" when needed, most common is building supplies
- Comfortable sleep accommodations for 2
- AC
- No bathroom or water carrying capacity, I don't want the weight or hassle and want to keep the build light. Tow vehicle is a jeep cherokee v6 with factory tow pkg. 3500/350#
- Ability to hang out for a few hours on a rainy day

So here's my plan:
- Insulate the walls and ceiling with pink foil sheets
- Install 2 windows. one on the passenger side, one in the rear (barn) door.
- Install an access panel in the front v big enough for a small 5k btu window AC (I wish climateright was still an option)
- Build an upper cabinet and counter top in the v.
- LED house lights
- Rhino rack batwing awning
- On the driver side, there will be ~36" bed platform hinged to the wall, on the passenger side it will be ~24", if the passenger side folded down it will serve as a couch base, I will build a hinged table on the drivers side that will swing up/down.
- Mattress will be a double size folding mattress/couch
- Going to do a straight pass through for AC power, either from my 2000W genset or campground
- For a house battery I'm going to use a bluetti or Jackery 500W power center that I will recharge using the built in inverter in my car. The lights i have picked out will run DC, or AC with a wall wart (Black and decker under cabinet lighting).
- Just going to do a yeti cooler, and a colman road trip or weber Q for cooking, but for races, it's really just a place to sleep.

Thoughts or ideas?

Harrison
Attachments
20200723_222541.jpg
20200723_222541.jpg (702.84 KiB) Viewed 709 times
HarrisonWithers
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Doing a cargo conversion in Ann Arbor, MI area

Postby pchast » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:20 pm

Sounds like a good basic plan. Execution can
be the tough part, keeping it light and functional. :thumbsup:
pchast