Lurker to Newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby Eunice » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:38 am

Welcome Chubbie. Yep things may go wrong but they will be fixable. it is a learning experience for sure. We didnt build ours but put it together and then did the galley to make it our own. I am learning body and fender work as I paint our "Hill House". (most tears have names) It is hard work but great fun and you make friends with the nicest people on this forum. Good luck and yes we will nag for pictures.
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Mary K » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Welcome!!

Congrats on the junk yard finds!!! You are now on your way to building a TD or TTT!!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby chubblehaid » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:21 am

Went to Harbour Freight for a trailer, won't be in til next week. :( While there I found a really nice gas stove with a tiny biscuit oven in it, on sale, so I now have a stove. I am getting impatient to get this started before the snow flies. Now, my question is who do I talk to about my back hatch/door? I would like to attempt to make a split door. Half opening upward half swing out. Is this possible or just infeasible to do? I am thinking if I have to I could use a 'door in a door' concept.

Todays surprises....I was reading all the info I can on here when in comes my brother. Asks, "what ya doin" sees my puter screen and goes crazy. Seems he has beat me here by a few weeks and DIDN'T tell me! Now I am thinking I can learn from his mistakes...hehehe

chubble
Whatever it is...
I didn't do it...
chubblehaid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike C. » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:43 am

Chubble,

Since there are a lot of people here that don't read in the Newbie area, if you take your question down to the Teardrop Construction Forum and ask again, you will get quite a few answers pretty quick. I would imagine that there are probably people here that have tried just about everything as far as design go. And we have CAD people here that can draw it up for you, if it is possible to do. :thumbsup:

Good Luck.
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Unkl Ron » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:29 am

chubblehaid wrote:Now, my question is who do I talk to about my back hatch/door? I would like to attempt to make a split door. Half opening upward half swing out.

Chubble: Cruise all the sites (albums also) and make some decisions (how you think you want to build it), before starting on building pieces of it, ahead of time. Then draw it up and tinker with small scale paper/cardboard mock-ups, etc. You can build one out of cardboard and tape/glue (4" = 1' scale). You'll likely have a lot of fun building a model first, before buying a whole bunch of parts adn wood, etc. There is a wealth of info. on this site. Look at all the picts. folks have posted to see what design options have been made. There is a million variations. For example, a smaller hatch opening has merits, since the hatch door would not cover the entire rear of the Tear, thus making it lighter and easier to open/close. But, you would then have "Bins" for storage, rather than having the option of (lower) "Drawers". Which may be OK for you, as it is so for others.

A two door hatch affair might be problematic, since the lower (swing out) door may present a lot of stress on the necessary hinge (whether on the right or left side). A three door opening would be cool, though I've personally never seen one. But surely it could be designed and built. Example: the Main hatch door swings up - Left and Right (lower sides) swing out. Only issue would be having to deal with the open/closing of the doors while camping, etc. Look at the picts in my album - on page 3 and you'll see (an example of) a single (smaller) hatch door - with bins for storage instead of drawers. I like the Bins, but certainly others would cuss them and would rather have Drawers. Anyway, study the dimension relationship and you'll see what can be done to achieve a smaller hatch opening. My Tear was made by CampInn and the picts will give you an idea of "Bins" vs. "Drawers" - just one way to achieve a smaller hatch door that you have to lift UP to open the galley area.

Bottom line: Check out all the fine "hand-builds" of others by looking at the pictures in their albums. You can then sort out how you want your Tear and make a lot of what-if decisions (using cardboard) before actually starting. Won't take as long as you think - to build a model, I mean.
Good luck.....
Oh yeah, Sun Roofs are cool..... BUT, (generally) they collect water when it rains and (when you open them) the water visits your bed. Think about a FanTastic fan (or similar) for ventilation... They don't leak, if installed properly.
Unkl Ron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:51 am

chubblehaid wrote:<snip> Also found a sunroof, has anyone put one of these in? already I have a hundred questions! :D
I am anxious to get this started, getting parts and pieces doesn't seem to be a problem right now, but, I have a feeling something will go wrong. lol
Thanks again,
chubble

You mean something like this? Oh and welcome aboard.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves