It's me....It's me......It's Mook B!!!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

It's me....It's me......It's Mook B!!!

Postby Mook » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:14 pm

I promise not to throw rocks and I won't hold my breath till I'm arrested and I already have a betrothed so all the women folks on this here site are not in danger!! :lol:

Seriously, I've been a lurker and have made a post or two. But felt like I should introduce myself. My real name's Mike but most of my friends (close circle) call me Mook. Don't really know why, but that's just the way it is.

I have camped off and on all of my life and enjoy it a great deal. I think I was bitten be the "less is more" bug when I was 17. I found an old camper shell for my Dad's pick up and conned him into letting me put it on the truck. From there, I finshed out the inside, added a small canopy and just generally fixed it up so I could go camping. My first trip was to Emerald Isle, NC back in 1979. I've been hooked ever since. From there, I have had more traditional travel trailers but have always came back to the original camping set up that I first used.

Fast forward to now: Two of the hobbies I have now fit together perfectly and allow me to enjoy them together. I race Go Karts on Big roadcourses. At least 5 to 10 weekends a year, I make it to tracks in Savannah, Charlotte, Kershaw, SC; Talladega, Rockingham, Road Atlanta, Barber and even Indianapolis Raceway Park. All of these tracks allow camping :thumbsup: !

So I am in the process of fixing up a cargo trailer into a dual purpose unit. To haul my toys and have all the comforts of a camper as much as possible.

This isn't the first time I have done this, when my son's raced with me, we had a 8.5 x 20 set up for 3 karts and people. Now, it's just me and a 6x12 Pace that I'm working on.

My future plans call for eventually taking a trip out west to Sedona, the GC, Four Corners and Joshua Tree and I'm planning on taking the trailer and camping the whole way. Not to mention sneaking off to Edisto or James Island for the odd weekend or 3.

So that's in a nutshell. Keep you posted. Look for pics soon!!

I
The main thing to remember; is to keep the main thing, the main thing.
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joanne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:48 pm

Hey Mook,

Glad you took time to post an "official" intro. Kart racing? I saw some of those on TV not too long ago and they are FAST! If I were younger I might even think about trying one myself. There's a small track here in Vegas that will rent karts (not the kiddie karts). Nawwww.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:02 pm

Welcome Mook,
Into speed huh! Hope you enjoy the buiild. Sounds like you have the experience to make it easy.

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

My Introduction....umm...and "stuff"

Postby Mook » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:19 am

One thing I meant to say in my original post but forgot:

Seems that kart racers are a resourceful bunch! On most regional weekends, there's roughly 150 to 200 of us at the track. Probably 50% of us camp at the track. So, with that said, it's like a TD gathering from 5 to 10 weekends a year at different track, with a little racing thrown in just for kicks and giggles.

Anywho..... ALL of the guys that camp do so in their cargo trailers that were converted. Couple of guys have either scratch built their's or have heavily modified different types of trailer to suit their pocketbook and their needs.

Our season runs from the first weekend in February (Savannah) to the second weekend in November (Road Atlanta).

I'll make sure I take some pictures of the setups next time I'm at the track!
The main thing to remember; is to keep the main thing, the main thing.
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves