Drooling in Michigan

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Drooling in Michigan

Postby BigPolishJimmy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and fairly handy with tools and such, not a seasoned craftsman to be sure, but not afraid to swing a hammer either We've wanted a pop-up for a long time now but they always seem a bit pricey for what they are, new isn't in our price range and used are often full of other peoples problems. It's with this mindframe that I started looking at building my own since I'd have to fix anything I bought used anyway.

I like the look and simplicity of the cubby but am leaning towards a new campmaster because we have a family of 4, the kids are smaller for now but won't be for long. I'm 6'4" @ 270 so going small will be tricky. We went camping again this summer in a tent and realized that we're going to have to do something soon. Even in my Mercury Marquis with it's HUGE trunk, after the: tent, cooler, cots, chairs, and suitcases, we still had stuff on peoples laps, and then there was the rain...

My wife likes the Shasta design, but I'm thinking that It will drag too much. Hey, here's a question for you folks, does the tear shape help with aerodynamics in pulling it down the road, or is it more a style point? Thanks in advance, and any suggestions you may have would be apreciated.

Jim
BigPolishJimmy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:52 pm

Jim, welcome to the board...there are a lotta designs that will work for you, as to the aero question, anything that sticks outta the tow vehicles profile line will cause increased drag...the tear shape does help some, especialy the sloped rear...if you click on the search button at the top of page and enter "aerodynamics" you will find a ton of info on this matter since it has been widely discussed hereabouts...oh and watchout for Chris...he's gonna bug ya about an avatar pic, since we all like to see who we are talking too.....have a ton o' fun, you have embarked on a very interesting journey...oh and we are all gonna bug ya for pictures...just 'cause we luv 'em
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:05 pm

Welcome Jim,
Nice to have new member in our little day and night center. This is where we get our fix. We need pictures. Chris, should be along to nag (long winded) you for a little picture in the upper left corner. That is so we don't think we are talking to ourselves again.

ps-have you seen my bubble oil.
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby BigPolishJimmy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Alrighty then, here is a pic for now. It's a few years old, so I'll look around for something more current, the problem is I'm always the one who is taking the pictures.

Jim
BigPolishJimmy
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves