Howdy

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy

Postby Kestrel8822 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:27 pm

I've been researching teardrops for the past six months and was planning on getting one in early 2007. Demands of my business make building one impossible. Out of the blue I ran into a used 2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra for sale. Well, you only live once so I did the deed and will pick it up this Saturday.

I'll be towing it with a Subaru Outback 6-cyl. My favorite hobby is fishing from a kayak. I think that camping in the teardrop will give me more time for fishing/relaxing and less spent on prep and camp setup, etc.

Until November I'm buried at work so I can't camp much. This will change in the next year or so. For the next couple of months I'll be getting the accessories together so I can hitch up and hit the grocery store on my way out of town.

One item that I have my eye on is a Paha Que sun screen...lightweight, aluminum pole domelike setup, 10x10. Anybody ever see one up close? The maker claims it does better in the wind than say a Kelty.

Anyway, quite a group you have here. I'll get some pictures posted when I can.
Thanks,
Steve
Kestrel8822
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:40 pm

Welcome Steve,
Congradulations on you purchase. Hope you enjoy it. We have several kayakers who are rigged to fish and check out Sonetpro's rack :oops:

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Chris C » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks for dropping in, Steve. Glad to have you on the forum. Heck, buying one is the quickest way to get a teardrop, but betcha if you hang around a while you'll get the "bug" and will be planning one "just for you".

By the way, I am the O-Fish-E-L Avatar Chairman. As such I'm supposed to ask that you grab a digital camera and post a personal picture as your avatar. To do that, avatars can be no more than 200Hx150W pixels and then follow directions on the avatar control panel in your profile for uploading...............and thanks again for dropping in.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:25 am

Did somebody mention fishing in a kayak?
Welcome Steve I made a rack with half a Yakima rack on the tear and a 2" reciever rack from Cabela's on the tounge. I just mounted a step bumper receiver upside down on the tounge. It worked great.
With the kayak up there I can do just as you say. Just stop for some food and you're on the way. Don't even have to load the kayak. It's always ready to go.
Have fun with your new trailer and we need lots of pic's of it.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:20 am

Welcome, Steve.

Anyone that owns the PahaQue really likes it. I know there are different grades/models, but it seems to be a real quality product.

But regardless of its wind-resistance claim, you still have to stake it down or use sand bags.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Kestrel8822 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 pm

Hey guys,

That rack is truly elegant. A was going to continue hauling the kayak on my car's roof because to carry it on the trailer would interfere with opening the rear hatch. You're also saving garage space by storing both the kayak and trailer as one unit. Your solution is perfect. Nice kayak, btw.

Thanks Aunti and Ira for the welcome and the sunshade tip. That model is pricey to buy mail order but the endorsement makes up my mind.

Chris, I'll get an avatar up soon after I get the trailer back here to AZ. I'm not much of an internet/forum guy but I'm very happy to have discovered this group. I've read quite a few posts here and I'm struck by the fellowship you folks have for each other. I think my tent camping/backpacking days may be over. Well, I may still backpack some but the teardrop will make a fine base camp.

Thanks again everybody.
Steve
Kestrel8822
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nytewyng » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:21 pm

I have the 12x12 model , absolutley love it . It has the cutout shaped like the Tear on one side. the sides are just about vertical and its roomy. very well made , worth the $$$ Try calling Littleguy on the forum here maybe he can get you a good price
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves