What 2006 Vehicle should we buy to pull our Ben-Roy?

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

What 2006 Vehicle should we buy to pull our Ben-Roy?

Postby Bob B » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:14 pm

My wife and I are going to start building our first Tear Drop Ben-Roy in the next few weeks and we also are in the mood to purchase a 2006 close out automobile to pull the tear-drop and use to go to work everyday. I drive 40 miles each way to work (easy road miles) and change my oil religiously every 5,000 miles. We have enjoyed a 1996 Chevrolet Blazer with a V-6 engine for over 220,000 miles and it could pull this tear drop with ease and give us plenty of room for our camping gear. However, we would like to purchase a new vehicle to replace our Blazer. My question to you with gas prices going up is their a 4 cylinder pick-up or SUV that could fit our needs and pull our Ben-Roy Teardrop and save us money going to work every day? Our trailer is a pre bought 5X9 foot utility trailer which is striped down and should be about 300 to 400 pounds heaver than the customary trailers used by the members of this board to mount their 5X9 foot teardrops on. I would love to hear what you think the ideal automobile would be for a couple in their 50s with out children to go traveling and camping with. I would also like your opinions on a six cylinder SUV or pickup that may be a better overall investment over a 4 cylinder model. Are there any diesel vehicles available or coming up next year like the Jeep Liberty that Dr. Z is talking about on TV worth considering? Look forward to your replies. Look forward to camping in a Tear Drop. Robert Blosl Mobile Alabama area. Newbies to Tear Drops.
Bob B
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pgwilli » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi Bob,
As a 50 something with no kids (except little dogs) who drives 40+ miles to work (two days a week), I think a Subaru Outback makes a good option.
I have a '99 that I get 27 mpg with commuting. In over 200,00 miles, I have only replaced the normal wear items and rebuilt the power steering pump.
Norma has a 2005 that we tow our (~1350# loaded) tear with. It gets around 26mpg around town and close to 22 mpg towing the tear.
The stock mirrors are just right for a 5 foot wide tear and it has enough poop to get up long hills as long as you don't let it go below 3000 rpm in 3rd(that means about 60mph).
The 2006s have a little more HP and they seem to be going for under invoice.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 pm

You sound like a GM fan. How bout an HHR? There were tons of PT Cruisers at the IRG but no HHRs.

The diesel Liberty would be a good chioce too.

Or what about a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I know several people who swear that they get lower 20's for fuel mileage. That isn't too far off from what my little 4-cyl Mazda gets.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

What to drive?

Postby dahoon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:32 am

Hey Bob

Working in the auto parts business, I would be a little hesitant about buying a Chrysler product because of their electronics. Not saying that any of the new cars have delicate electronics that need to be protected from the trailer. Chryslers just seem to be worse.

For my two cents, I think an HHR in front of a TD would raise the cool factor and turn heads.

If you pull it with something that light you might consider putting brakes on the TD, tho.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Bob B » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have looked at a few cars this past week and the ones that have caught my eye are the following:Chev Equinox, Honda CRV, Saturn Vue, Toyato RAV4, Toyoto Tacoma Pickup, Chev Colorado Pickup, Hyunda Santa Fe, VW Jetta diesel. Would like your opinions on these cars and which ones to stay away from. The Honda CRV gets up to 29 highway going to work, but the sales person does not think it can pull a tear drop because of its size. I have heard the engine does very well for a 4 cyl. Look forward to your replies.
Bob B
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woody » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Nissan Titan crew cab with trailer package :thumbsup:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:47 pm

Bob B wrote:The Honda CRV gets up to 29 highway going to work, but the sales person does not think it can pull a tear drop because of its size.

This is curious, when the same (well, similar) CRV feature in 'best towcar' ratings in Britain, although usually the RAV4 wins - both are competing in diesel form, which I expect you don't get.

And of course the CRV is rated here to tow over twice the weight permitted in North America.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:05 pm

Angib, do y'all have the CRX in Yurp? Is it tow-rated?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:09 pm

Here in America the CRV is rated to tow 1500 lbs without any added coolers. And with the discount the factory told the dealers to give so as to get rid of the 2006 stock you should be able to get one a couple of thousand below invoice. Myself, needing a trailer hitch for George's hitch cover bought a 06 Pilot. The dealers are authorized to sale that car for a short time for 3000 under invoice. The CRV should get about 26-30 on the road where as the Pilot will only get 24-26 on the road.

Which ever car you buy, try and buy it over the internet. You'll save more money that way.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:11 pm

My wife sometimes let's me drive her 04 Honda Element EX. I think it has the same guts as the CRV. I wouldn't be concerned at all about the Element's ability to pull a TD. We pull around a skiff with it you don't even notice it.

We did order the tow bar when we bought it, and had it factory installed. I understand on the Element, the tow bar installation requires removal of a lot of the plastic. Don't know the ins and outs of the CRV though, but you might want to check it out and see how hard it is to install the tow bar.

BTW...a co-worker bought a new Saturn VUE. Nice rig and highly rated. Certainly nothing to sneeze about, and I understand you can get a V6, if you want more ompff.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Chris C » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Gage wrote:Which ever car you buy, try and buy it over the internet. You'll save more money that way.:

I didn't know that, Gage. Do you mean from a dealer, or an individual?
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Bob B wrote:Thanks for your replies. I have looked at a few cars this past week and the ones that have caught my eye are the following:Chev Equinox, Honda CRV, Saturn Vue, Toyato RAV4, Toyoto Tacoma Pickup, Chev Colorado Pickup, Hyunda Santa Fe, VW Jetta diesel. Would like your opinions on these cars and which ones to stay away from. The Honda CRV gets up to 29 highway going to work, but the sales person does not think it can pull a tear drop because of its size. I have heard the engine does very well for a 4 cyl. Look forward to your replies.

My parents have a 06 CRV and I have driven it quite a bit whenever I visit them. I also had an 06 RAV 4 as a rental vehicle for a month. I had the rental while our Highlander was getting fixed. I am a big Honda fan but I think the RAV would do a better job. That is just what I think, based on driving the cars without trailers. My one gripe about the RAV was that even though it weighes less and is smaller than our Highlander, it only got slightly better mileage during the same drive cycle. They both have the 4-cyl engine and there was less than 1MPG difference between the two. I wonder how the Hybrid Highlander would tow.

The Taco P/U is a nice ride but I hear that the 6-cyl requires premuim fuel. Plus the higher end Tacos start to get up to the Tundra prices.

The Colorado and it's other GM siblings didn't rank too favorably in the report I read. They complained that the 5cyl consumed more gas than a 4 but didn't make much more power.

You might also want to look at the Suzuki XL-7. We were going to buy one when we found the Highlander. It is a nice vehicle also.

Laredo wrote:Angib, do y'all have the CRX in Yurp? Is it tow-rated?

CRX and CR-V totally different animals. CRX no longer exists on any continent, even in it's later guise as the Del Sol.

I did see a Honda Joy Machine in Paris. I really like it, too bad it isn't offered here. It is sized in between a CR-V and the Element. It almost looks like a small Cherokee. I'll post a pic if I find it.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby RKH » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Gage wrote:
Which ever car you buy, try and buy it over the internet. You'll save more money that way.:

I didn't know that, Gage. Do you mean from a dealer, or an individual?

At the risk of hijacking, when we last bought a new car in May 05, we were told by the salesman to go home and send an email to the dealership's internet rep and he would be able to drop the price below what we had been talking. When we went back the next day, the price had indeed dropped.
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby pgwilli » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:07 pm

We bought Norma's 2005 Outback from the internet sales department of a local dealership.
He gave us the price for the model we wanted via e-mail (it was below invoice) we called and set up a test drive and concluded the deal.
:D Super easy and no hassle.
One thing he did ask was that we not talk to the other salesmen. I think they were getting po'd that he was selling so many cars to customers they weren't getting a crack at.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby Gage » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:25 pm

Side tracking just a little. But it should also help this thread beings how Bob is talking about buying a new car.

Buying a new car over the internet first try a broker that is on line (in Calif., there is CarsDirect.com) or like Keith says go to the Dealership internet department. When you go through the internet you are dealing with personal that are salary paid where as if you deal with a salesman at the dealership, he gets paid commission so the more he can add on to the car the more in his pocket. Also his manager, the desk manager and the finance manager all get a piece of that car. Also buying over the internet, you don't spend 2 hours telling the salesman you don't want something. And watch out for the dealerships that say they will match that price. By the time you get out the door, they've added stuff to bring the price back up where they want it. Buying over the internet, you should be able to get the car at or below invoice (what the dealer pays)

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves