What 2006 Vehicle should we buy to pull our Ben-Roy?

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby Bob B » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:53 pm

I want to thank all of you for your kind comments and suggestions. I eat outside every day with the smokers and they are even getting involved with helping me with my decision on the right vehicle to purchase to pull our tear drop. One of my friends yesterday says he wants to trade in his 2002 Jeep Cherokee for a new model with the diesel engine that is coming out. He loves his truck that he has owned since new. Another employee is thinking of buying for him and his wife a Kia small SUV as they have such a great warranty of ten years or 100,000 miles. He feels that the Kia SUV would be perfect for our Tear Drop. I worked with a lady today who bought early this year a 2006 Toyota Matrix and she says she thinks this little 4 cylinder could pull a tear drop with out any problems. One think is for sure there is a trend to go with a car that is energy efficient in our area. The small car sales are up about 20% and large gas guzzlers are staying on the lots. I heard yesterday that Dodge-Chrysler has dropped to the number five car manufacture in the county. Fords sales are flat with their cars.
Look forward to more of your replies and suggestions. Bob
Bob B
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:14 am

Hi,
Don't forget to check out the owner's manual on the cars you are thinking about buying. My Subaru Outback says that brakes are required if towing over 1000 pounds. This means that besides brakes on the trailer, I'm adding a brake unit on the car. Some people use their Subarus without brakes but I decided to add them to my build.
Good luck with your tow choice.
Kris
p.s. This isn't exactly related, but check out the type of spark plugs your new vehicle will use. My Subaru takes some very expensive ones and I might have made a different purchase if I'd known that. I think they are titanium.
KA
Donating Member

I could of had a V8

Postby ssrjim » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:54 pm

Not a 6 but cool as all get out. A SSR. Only 24000 ever made, instant classic, there are some closeout bargains, built in tow pack, lost of power to tow with, and did I say cool?
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ssrjim » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:01 pm

Gage wrote:Side tracking just a little. But it should also help this thread beings how Bob is talking about buying a new car.

Buying a new car over the internet first try a broker that is on line (in Calif., there is CarsDirect.com) or like Keith says go to the Dealership internet department. When you go through the internet you are dealing with personal that are salary paid where as if you deal with a salesman at the dealership, he gets paid commission so the more he can add on to the car the more in his pocket. Also his manager, the desk manager and the finance manager all get a piece of that car. Also buying over the internet, you don't spend 2 hours telling the salesman you don't want something. And watch out for the dealerships that say they will match that price. By the time you get out the door, they've added stuff to bring the price back up where they want it. Buying over the internet, you should be able to get the car at or below invoice (what the dealer pays)

Have a good day.

:thinking:

Not always your best deal. I was looking for a Full size pickup and tried many of the dealers in the areas internet/fleet department with little luck. I picked up a New Silverado 2006 for 9999.00 about three grand better than internet prices. Four grand better if you count the trade.

The rule is there is no fast way to save money when buying a car.
Last edited by ssrjim on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: I could of had a V8

Postby angib » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:03 pm

ssrjim wrote:A SSR.

There's a guy over on the Fiberglass trailer forum who explained he was going to solve all his power problems by buying a SSR. Which he has - now he's talking about his brake problems.....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: I could of had a V8

Postby ssrjim » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:11 pm

angib wrote:
ssrjim wrote:A SSR.

There's a guy over on the Fiberglass trailer forum who explained he was going to solve all his power problems by buying a SSR. Which he has - now he's talking about his brake problems.....

Andrew

I have no trouble stopping.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves