Greatings from a new member

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greatings from a new member

Postby Kstear » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

My name is Greg from Topeka, Ks. I have just started a new tear after ordering the Kuffel Creek Comet plans. I have a jetski trailer (Tow-go) that I am converting to a tear. The trailer once completed will be wider than the Comet and will come in at 6'6" (inside wall dimensions).

I have some structural steel work to do on the trailer to add some length, and have taken some pictures of the work already done.

I had to take safety steel welded on the trailer (it was a combo quad/ski trailer) off to make a flat surface and have added two rear stabilizer jacks.
Trailer has been painted black (was battleship grey).

So far this site has been a godsend for one not knowing anything about constructing a tear.

Will post pics (since you love pics), soon of the progress so far.

Greg
Kstear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Greg,
Welcome to the T/TTT Adult day and night center. I see you already know Mad Jacks need for pictures and Chris's need for avatar photo's, and you have a good foundation. :applause: :applause: :applause:

All up from here. :hammer:
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ira » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:13 pm

Welcome!

But 6' 6" wide? Inside wall dimensions?

Are you sure you wanna go that wide?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Wider than 5 foot tear

Postby Kstear » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:07 pm

I really have no choice but to go wider due to the outline of the trailer (it is 7' wide between the fenders) in stock form. To shorten the width would be mad (or drive me mad). If I set a standard five foot wide tear on this trailer it is gonna look kinda funny.

The greatest challenge I have found so far is locating aluminum that is wider than five feet which I have located here in Topeka, 103" stuff cut to any length I need. The second challenge will be the interior skins. I will use 4'x8' either oak or birch plywood, with finger (or puzzle joints as some call them) joints bringing the wood together.

There are lower hatch trim issues and others that can be solved as well.

This project will be a challenge, that is for certain. However, I have noticed others on here making wider tears with success and part of the fun in building a tear is the "challenge to overcome!"

G
Kstear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:57 pm

Greg,
Build it the way you want it. ;) :thumbsup: You are probably aware that the difference in size will cost more (triple in my case). Mike pulled a design outta his puter for me that fits really well with my 6'4" former pop-out. It is going to be great.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9542

Two things I would do different:
Get the tongue made longer and
Make the floor longer to accomidate the curves in the back.

PS~how much is the aluminum for that wide?

Aunti M[/url]
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:16 pm

Greg,

Welcome to the forum.

I've always found the biggest challenge is locating suppliers and buying the stuff. When I went looking for aluminum, the widest I could find was 60". I know better now, but you get the idea.

I see you've been reading for a while already. So Madjack and Chris C come as no surprise...

I, of course, would love to see your plans in CAD. Do you have it drawn up yet?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:51 am

Man, that's gonna be nice and comfortable in there!

Do you have anything special planned for the cabin? Like, with that width, you could actually install a toilet with room to spare!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Wrasslin'

Postby Kstear » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:04 am

Mike,

I have the trailer frame drawn up on CAD with the subfloor and side layers active. Working on the bulkheads and electrical at present.

Ira,

As far as the extra room: I plan on fencing it off and holding Texas death matches! :lol: Seriously, no toilet but will have a table near the door. I have not decided what if anything to do with the extra room.

Aunti,

The alum. is just over $14.00 per ft. Due to this cost I may skin only the top with alum. and the sides with 1/4 birch.

G
Kstear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:53 am

[Greg's quote]Aunti,

The alum. is just over $14.00 per ft. Due to this cost I may skin only the top with alum. and the sides with 1/4 birch. [/quote]

Ouch :O
The truth is by the time I pay for 2 layers of birch and the epoxy it is about the same. Course then you have to buy the trim.

We are putting a porta potty and curtain or fold out walls in our extra space. 8) ;) For those rainy days and nights.
Aunti M
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jagular7 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:30 am

Welcome Greg. I'm local in Lenexa, and there are a few others about the KC metro area.

From the sound of things, seems like you have a plan and will work it out. Pics always does justice to your words. Good luck.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:42 am

Welcome from Shawnee, Kansas. There are a few people in the area either working on or camping in a teardrop. Mines still in progress. Without this forum I don't think I would have attempted the build.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby 2old2tent » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Welcome Greg. I'm just south of you at Melvern.
:thumbsup:
My TTT will be 6'2" inside when complete, but it is going to be squared instead of rounded. Won't look cool but should be easy to build.
:hammer:
I'll have to pick your brain for that aluminum supplier, but I'm cheap and probably won't spend the bucks.

Later
Jack
2old2tent
Teardrop Master

Postby Kstear » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Jack,

The alum. supplier is located on highway 24 just west of the Dillons on the north frontage road. name is: Custom Truck Equipment 290.2000.

G
Kstear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2old2tent » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:20 am

Gotcha. I know where you're talking about. I'll give them a look.

Thanks
Jack
2old2tent
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves