Newbie from Washington State

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from Washington State

Postby mjg444 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Hello: I've been reading the posts on this site for awhile and finally decided to join, partially so I could see some of the pictures (I like pictures too). I don't have a tear yet, but would like to get one eventually - don't really have the skills, tools, time to actually build one. It's great to see some women can actually build their own tear - I'm impressed.

A little about myself: I've tent camped and backpacked for years and since I saw a teardrop once at a car show I thought they would be a great step up from a tent (I do not want a big trailer or motor home). Several times in the last few years, I've told my friends that I usually go camping with that sometimes it sure would be nice not sleeping in a tent with the rain and wind blowing. I've also seen them at the LeMay Open house in Tacoma, WA.

Right now it's just me and my three year old Bernese Mountain dog (he's in the picture with me), so a teardrop would be perfect, plus when you are camping you should be cooking outside.

I really like the Hunter Shadows and the Yoder Toders and some of the other tears I've seen.

And some day, if I can figure out how to put a hitch on my 1939 Chevy Streetrod, I'd like to pull it sometimes with that.

Well enough about me and I look forward to following everybody's progress, especially in those pictures.

Michele
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Newbie from Washington State

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:28 pm

mjg444 wrote:Hello: I've been reading the posts on this site for awhile and finally decided to join, partially so I could see some of the pictures (I like pictures too). I don't have a tear yet, but would like to get one eventually - don't really have the skills, tools, time to actually build one. It's great to see some women can actually build their own tear - I'm impressed.

A little about myself: I've tent camped and backpacked for years and since I saw a teardrop once at a car show I thought they would be a great step up from a tent (I do not want a big trailer or motor home). Several times in the last few years, I've told my friends that I usually go camping with that sometimes it sure would be nice not sleeping in a tent with the rain and wind blowing. I've also seen them at the LeMay Open house in Tacoma, WA.

Right now it's just me and my three year old Bernese Mountain dog (he's in the picture with me), so a teardrop would be perfect, plus when you are camping you should be cooking outside.

I really like the Hunter Shadows and the Yoder Toders and some of the other tears I've seen.

And some day, if I can figure out how to put a hitch on my 1939 Chevy Streetrod, I'd like to pull it sometimes with that.

Well enough about me and I look forward to following everybody's progress, especially in those pictures.

Michele

Welcome Michele, Sounds like your hooked on teardrops, that's great. If you go to any U-Haul store they can fix you up with a trailer hitch for your 1939 Chevy. If you want to get a teardrop locally call Ed Ester @ Ed's Custom Cabinets in Seattle, 206-243-5033. Ed has made over 35 teardrops and does a wonderful job that you would be proud to show your tent friends. Also check out the same people, "Teardroppers of Orgeon & Washington" (TOW) (including ED) that you saw at Le May's at http://www.teardroptrailers.org/index.html :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dahoon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:42 am

Michele,

Coming up next weekend is the Lamay car show in Tacoma. There are supposed to be a collection of Teardrop Trailers there, too.

I'm going to try to make the show.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby elmo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:34 am

Welcome aboard Michele! You'll have lots of fun here! :)

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:46 am

Michelle, welcome aboard fellow Washingtonian! I see you already have one item for the future teardrop trailer- the personal heater! :lol: Your adorable Bernese will make a fantastic heater!
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mincey » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Welcome Michelle! This group is really a fun bunch, and we hope to meet some soon at some local gatherings. We are not builders either so we purchased. I almost bought a Camp Inn but my hubby wanted at least standing-up room inside. So our compromise is a T@B with the clamshell floorplan. Lots of T@B folks up in WA and they love 'em!

http://www.tab-rv.com

I am impressed with all the folks here are able to build, and am jealous! I may have to learn the skills someday.

:)
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B Clamshell
The T@Binator
mincey
Teardrop Master

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:04 pm

Welcome from another gal on the board!!!

Even if you don't have a teardrop , but love 'em I'm sure your fellow northwesterners will welcome you to a campout!!! That's a great way to see them and experience a little about them.

The teardrops.net website has several for sale on the west coast, some under $4000.. click onthe Destinations link at the top of the website here.

I'm not building mine all by myself but have lots of help and advice from a neighbor and now a new boyfriend.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mjg444 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:13 pm

Thanks Danny for the info on Ed's. I've seen that name somewhere before. I'll keep him in mind. Do you know where there are any pictures of some of his teardrops he has built?

I'd like to go to the Lemay Open house this year If I can fit it in, but I have a birthday party to go to and am just waiting to see what time that is.

And yes Amy, my dog is a good heater, but if he lays too close I can move - especially in a sleeping bag! :)

Michele
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey Michele,

Welcome to the forum...

Girls can do it... I have the proof... I'm going to post some of Michelle's information in a bit... keep your eye out for it...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:34 pm

mjg444 wrote:Thanks Danny for the info on Ed's. I've seen that name somewhere before. I'll keep him in mind. Do you know where there are any pictures of some of his teardrops he has built?

I'd like to go to the Lemay Open house this year If I can fit it in, but I have a birthday party to go to and am just waiting to see what time that is.

And yes Amy, my dog is a good heater, but if he lays too close I can move - especially in a sleeping bag! :)

Michele

Michele, Tom Strat of Tacoma has one. This is a link to his album. Danny
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1897
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:29 pm

Welcome Michele,
Tools your borrow or go to the garage sale, Time you make, and skills you get here. (and practice). I'm going slow because I don't want to mess it up at this stage but I know now it will happen. Best feeling in the world. If you decide to build I know these good folks will help.

Enjoy
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mjg444 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks for the link Danny. That does look pretty nice. And it would be much closer than the Yodor Todor in Ohio and the Hunter in Idaho (even though that wouldn't be bad).

Building one myself would be a little much, but I could maybe make modifications to a boughten one. I'm sure I would get lots of advice from here.

Michele
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KA » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 am

Welcome Michelle,
I'm attempting to build a teardrop with very little experience so just take things one step at a time and ask for lots of advice. If you buy or build one, the forum is a great place to hang out and learn.
Have fun. Maybe we'll meet you at LeMay next weekend. I'm going with my pencil and notebook.
Kris :thumbsup:
KA
Donating Member

Postby mjg444 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:17 pm

I'm going to try to get to Lemay. If it's nice I think my Dad and I will go and bring our 39 Chevy (you can park close if you have an old car) ;)

Michele
mjg444
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves