Howdy from Inverness Florida

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby Ira » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:12 am

Hey, Roger!

Where's Inverness? I'm in Coral Springs.

I could never afford a really nice Flats Boat, so I used to have a tiny Jon boat that I took out near Chokoloskee/The 10,000 Islands.

I'm the world's worst fisherman, so while I never CAUGHT any bonefish, it was fun LOOKING at them.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Where's Inverness?

Postby Sandy Claws » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Hey Ira,
Inverness is in Citrus County, Big bend area, East of Crystal river, at the junction of Rt 44 and Rt 41. I live 8 minutes from the boat launch at Lake Hernando in the Tsala Apopka chain.
As for your success with fish....that's why they call it fishin' and not catchin'! ;) So far I've managed to lose some nice fish myself. I couldn't afford to buy a flatsboat either....that's why I built one! Your boat should work okay. Have you ever heard of a Go-Devil? I also have plans of building a 2 place kayak-like boat called a Birder. Really good for sneakin' up on Reds! Light weight too!
Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest! Mark Twain
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 am

I have friend who moved up near Crystal River. Real nice there, and I was thinking of moving that way one day, but no real work for me there.

What's a Go Devil? I don't have my boat any more, but I plan to build a tiny one that exactly matches my TD and that I can put in the back of my pickup (long bed). Ever see this site?

http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/#XX1

It has plans for boats that you can make out of one or one and a half sheets of plywood! I want to make the Portuguese dinghy (scroll down), using the same skins that are on my TD.

Don't know if you connected with Doug Hodder here yet, but he's like a master boatbuilder. I'm a spastic, but he helps me with his advice.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:14 am

Ira, this is a Go-Devil http://www.godevil.com/Photo_Gallery.html
they were developed in Louisiana for duck hunting in VERY SHALLOW water...even mud...one of my buddies is a duck hunting guide and just bought a brand new one for his business.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:32 am

Welcome Roger!
That's a nice frame there! Looks beefy!
I too, am a fan of 'glass/epoxy construction, having done kayaks and 4 T/D's that way.
Sounds like you have a great plan. I'll be watching the outcome of the painted roof/bright sides...Sounds like it will be pretty.

Again, Welcome!!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:45 pm

madjack wrote:Ira, this is a Go-Devil http://www.godevil.com/Photo_Gallery.html
they were developed in Louisiana for duck hunting in VERY SHALLOW water...even mud...one of my buddies is a duck hunting guide and just bought a brand new one for his business.......
madjack 8)

Remember that James Bond movie shot in Thailand, I think was "Man with a Golden Gun". They used boats with a drive system setup like that, except these were homemade jobbies that used automotive engines.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:15 pm

Damn, now ya gone and done it. I got a 14hp horizontal tecumseh that is just gonna hafta become a boat motor. Gotta build one of those, that's purty cool. Now I just gotta build me a boat to put the motor on!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did anybody watch those surface drive videos? With the furrows that thing cuts you could use it for plowin the fields too!! :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

cutting furrows

Postby Sandy Claws » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:09 am

Rich,
If you are talking about the video that shows the new Go-devils that have the drive folded up and have increased the horsepower to 35, mounted on what appears to be an indestructable aluminum boat...then yes I have. I hear that not only do they move in mud and over trees and such, they also work in water too! :roll:
Myself, :thinking: I think I would prefer sneaking up on the fish instead of crushing them to death with a boat! I've also heard that riding in that boat is quite a tooth rattler!

Rog...
Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest! Mark Twain
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Re: Howdy from Inverness Florida

Postby surveytech » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:09 am

Sandy Claws wrote:Walter,
Haven't hooked into a tarpon yet, but I'm more into fish I can eat. I've only been in Florida for 3 years. Moved here from Tucson, Arizona. Still learnin' this fishin' thing! You say you miss coming up here? Doesn't your trailer tow in that direction? You built a Rimple! :thumbsup: That's the basic profile I'm thinking of building. How do you like it? Would you build another? Do you belong to the Tearjerkers? Maybe we could meet at one of their festivities. Thanks for writing. :D
Rog...

Rog,
My fishing buddy and I came to Homosassa or the Chaz on a pretty regular basis with his flats boat. He has since moved and sold his boat so we dont fish together any longer. But we loved the area very much.....except all those damn sharp rocks!

Yes I built a Rimple with a removeable galley. I like the profile very much as it maximizes the space for a 4 x 8 trailer. It fit my needs perfect.

I may be at the Villages with it on Sept. 17th for a PT Cruiser thingie.
Probably wont be in your area again until November when we visit the relatives in Fanning Springs.
We will be camping in November at St. Augustine with the rest of the teardrop crowd. Hope to see you there for sure!

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Rocks

Postby Sandy Claws » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:38 pm

Walter,
If it wasn't for all those rocks, oysters and sand bars, just think of all those people that would be out of work. That's why I built a boat that will float in 2 inches of water. 8)

I hope I will be able to make the November meeting. There's a whole lot of friends that will be there, I haven't met yet! :)

Rog...
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves