Howdy from Inverness Florida

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby Sandy Claws » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:29 pm

:) My name is Roger and I am an addict, hooked by a video of really neat looking teardrop trailers. Teardrops make perfect sense now with gas prices the way they are and since I just finished building a 20 foot flatsboat, I decided to build a trailer. I bought plans from kuffel Creek, but have decided to go with more of a rimple/woody design. I already have the frame finished built from scratch with utility trailer parts. I decided to go with a 5 foot wide box. Fiberglass and epoxy on the top and a wood finish on the sides. I hope I can finish in time to go to some Tearjerker activities this year. If not, I might just go anyway. I am looking forward to meeting and talking to all you folks.
Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest! Mark Twain
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Postby toypusher » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Roger,

Welcome to the board! If you have questions, just ask and someone is sure to have an answer (or a dozen) for you to help out.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby kerryd » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:28 pm

Hey Sandy Claws ! whats shake'n in Inverness ? We're live'n large in Brooksville . There is another new guy in Live Oak . Goodluck with your build . Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Welcome Sandy Claws, Like Kerry said lot's of help here. But there is a price, That is lots of pic's. So you have the frame and all done.
We want to see. :lol:
Have fun with your build.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:17 pm

Hey Claws...

Welcome to the forum...

You got any pics yet? ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:36 pm

Welcome Roger,
No need to wipe your claws just join. If your a builder we will be glad of your expertise.

PS- what's a flatsboat? :thinking:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Woody » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:29 am

Come to Anastasia State Park in Nov. with or without a teardrop and meet the people. Bring a tent and we will find room for you if need be
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:25 am

Hello Roger,

Good to see another Flawduh Teardrop in the works. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby KA » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:13 am

Welcome Roger,
I think the same movie got me hooked. Hope you have fun with your teardrop adventures.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Thanks everybody

Postby Sandy Claws » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:39 am

:D I would just like to thank everybody for the warm welcome! I now have some photos in the gallery( I finally figured out how to upload). I also have photos on a Flickr.com site but shortly after I entered my "Sandy Claws" tags, several folks started using my email user name for their tags too. But if you go there and search the tags for Sandy Claws, you will find my yellow banana boat that I recently built and my trailer photos. This forum has a family feel to it. I think I'm really going to like talking with you folks. :thumbsup:

Catch you in the other forum areas,
Roger...
Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest! Mark Twain
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Postby PapaJ » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi Roger:

We must have seen the same video :)

I'm from West Palm Beach area and I just signed on earlier this week.

It has rained every afternoon for the last six days, so I may have to start work on my Ark first :lol:

My son suggeste fiberglass as well, so I'm sure I'll have some questions when I get going.

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Reply to Tom and Auntie M

Postby Sandy Claws » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:31 pm

Tom,
Your son is right! :thumbsup: Epoxy and fiberglass is the way to go. With aluminum you have to think about scratches, abrasions, dents etc. and with Epoxy and fiberglass, repairs are alot easier and you can paint it, or leave it bright with top coatings of a Linear polyurethane clear. I built that flats boat out of marine plywood and epoxy and fiberglass. It has strength you won't believe! Also I can't believe that there won't be a problem of the aluminum pulling away from the wood sooner or later, and that is if you can find it in a 5 foot width. I also think that bright wood sides and a tan top would look more retro or period, even though I realize the originals were aluminum. :thinking:
Auntie "M", :D
A flats boat is a boat that is used here on the West or Gulf coast of Florida. It is usually wide(mine has an 8 ft. beam) and will float in very little water(Mine will float in about 2 inches) . The water in the gulf of Mexico is very shallow. It is described as dropping one foot in depth for every mile you travel out. Of course there are channels and exceptions, but the inshore fishing is in and around sand and oyster bars. Propeller repair and replacement is big business here. This shallow water does not keep the big fish away though! Sometimes you sight fish and look for their tails splashing to locate them.

Thanks to the 2 of you for writing!
Rog...
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Postby surveytech » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:28 pm

Sandy,
Love fishing around the "Chaz". Just beautiful there. But like you say, shallow and rocky. And the tarpon are HUGE!!
Miss coming up there, always a good time.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Sandy Claws » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:36 am

Walter,
Haven't hooked into a tarpon yet, but I'm more into fish I can eat. I've only been in Florida for 3 years. Moved here from Tucson, Arizona. Still learnin' this fishin' thing! You say you miss coming up here? Doesn't your trailer tow in that direction? You built a Rimple! :thumbsup: That's the basic profile I'm thinking of building. How do you like it? Would you build another? Do you belong to the Tearjerkers? Maybe we could meet at one of their festivities. Thanks for writing. :D
Rog...
Sandy Claws
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:35 am

[Roger's quote]Auntie "M",
A flats boat is a boat that is used here on the West or Gulf coast of Florida. It is usually wide(mine has an 8 ft. beam) and will float in very little water(Mine will float in about 2 inches) . The water in the gulf of Mexico is very shallow. It is described as dropping one foot in depth for every mile you travel out. Of course there are channels and exceptions, but the inshore fishing is in and around sand and oyster bars. Propeller repair and replacement is big business here. This shallow water does not keep the big fish away though! Sometimes you sight fish and look for their tails splashing to locate them. [/quote]

Thanks Roger. One of these days I will get back to Florida to fish.

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves