New Introduction & New to tear drops

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Introduction & New to tear drops

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Hello Everyone:
This is a great site! I saw the Travel Channel RV special, and I'm sorry to say I never heard of Tear Drop Trailers before that night. I have a small trailer I used for hauling things when I owned some property I camped on. I'd appreciate any comments as to the suitability of this trailer for building a Tear Drop.

I got very excited about building one after the TV show.

My ultimate plan is to have a Tear Drop ready next summer in time to go to Sturgis. ( I can haul the Bike in the back of my pick-up.)
Specifications:

· 2,000 lbs. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)
· 12" Load Range C Tires
· Fully Lighted to DOT Specifications
· 1-7/8" Coupler w/Safety Chain
· Wire Mesh Floor & Gate
· 2,000 lbs. Slipper Spring Assembly
· 4'x8'

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tom Justice
Royal Palm Beach, FL
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:38 pm

Welcome Tom!
It sounds like you have a good start on a new camper! What you have described is a lot like a Tractor Supply trailer. Quite a few have used this type of frame with great success.
What are you thinking of building?
Have fun! Ask questions, we love to help! Post pics, as MadJack says " We Luv DA Pics!" :thumbsup:
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:59 pm

Good to talk to you.
I haven't decided on which plan yet because I'm still looking through the website and the designs.

I'm a big guy so I'm probably looking to build around 5 x 10. Which brings up the first question:

The trailer is 4' wide, would a 6" overhang be too muchon the sides, and a foot off the back?

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 pm

Tom-

Ditto what Steve said, great platform to build on!:thumbsup:

I don't see building over the wheels as a problem...

1 foot off the back may require moving your axle back (which you may have to do anyway), for proper weight distribution and door placement.

Have you checked out Andrew's "Design Library" up top?:roll:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:19 pm

I've looked at several designs, and feel sort of like a kid in a candy store.
But the pictures of what everyone has done with their trailer just blow me away!!

I'm a school teacher and just went back to school two weeks ago, so I've got plenty of time to do the research before I decide.

I figure though, that I can get alot done over Christmas & Easter break and weekends.

Sturgis is August 6-12 in '07 so I don't think the time frame is unrealistic.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:22 pm

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum...

I see you're still in the planning stages... let me tell you what I did recently, I think you'll find it compares to what you are thinking...

I have a HF 4x8 trailer that I decided to re-allocate for this project.

I decided to build out over the wheels... that's roughly 9" on a side.

Then I built a torsion box... I mean a trailer... My trailer is 5 1/2 x 10. I set the trailer on top of the frame and voila'

The trick is to make the trailer strong and rigid, like a torsion box. You'll hear more about that as you read the messages here. If you do that, the frame is secondary, more like just a place to attach your tongue and axle to.

Since a picture is worth 1000 words, here's the best picture I have that shows the frame, and the width of the trailer...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks Mike.

The utility trailer I'm going to use has raised sides. (Not flat like some of the pictures I've seen.)

Will I need to run braces similar to joists inside the frame?

Logically that seems to be the way to go??

Tom
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby elmo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:09 pm

Welcome Tom!

I am out at Sturgis every year myself(since 1993), but I live a little closer and ride out and stay in a tent at Elkview Campground. Did you make it this year? Make sure you get some good venting or air cond. it gets warm out there. Have fun here! There are a lot of good people here with alot of information to share.

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Hi Elmer:

I've never been to Sturgis. I belong to the local HOG's and a bunch of folks just got back.

I was one of those guys who put the bike away until the kids were grown.
Well the kids are grown, and I hope to fulfill a dream next summer.

I know what you mean about the heat though.

I've got a small window shaker and I'm wondering if that is even feasible in a teardrop.

Tom
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:36 pm

PapaJ wrote:Thanks Mike.

The utility trailer I'm going to use has raised sides. (Not flat like some of the pictures I've seen.)

Will I need to run braces similar to joists inside the frame?

Logically that seems to be the way to go??

Tom

I don't know, I'd have to see pictures...

And window shakers are the number one cooling option around here...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby elmo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:42 pm

I am a stay at home dad and probally ride more now because of it. It is my get away!

You'll have a great time out in Sturgis, especially if you are a people watcher. They have their share of interesting characters out there. And alot of great bikes.

As far as air conditioning alot of people have it and have alot of different good ideas on how to achieve it. Just have to figure out which one is best for you.

What are you riding? I have a 2001 Electra Glide, 2004 Honda xr650r(street legal) wife 1998 1200 Sporster, 4 year old CRF50 w/training wheels, a couple of other misc. in project mode.

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:43 pm

I have to wait till my son comes home to borrow his camera and I'll get some pictures up.

There are strange animal noises coming from his room and I'm afraid to go in there alone. :shock:

Also, the info about the window shaker is very good to know.

Tom
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:08 pm

PapaJ wrote:I have to wait till my son comes home to borrow his camera and I'll get some pictures up.

There are strange animal noises coming from his room and I'm afraid to go in there alone. :shock:

Also, the info about the window shaker is very good to know.

Tom

:lol: :shock: Must be a teenager.
Welcome Tom. I see you are no stranger to the site so jump right in. We have a resident engineer and a couple of newbies too so get a picture. Also the underside so the axle is visible. 8) Strange lot around here. ;)

Enjoy
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PapaJ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:46 pm

Hi:

No, he's a "20 Something" who is working and attending engineering school. But I'm still afraid to go into his room :shock:

:lol:
Tom
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby harldydodge1 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Welcome aboard papaj. I know this isn't what you have in mind but I just
finished building a 5'x10' TTT that my Roadking will fit inside. When you get to where your going you pull the bike out set up the removeable kitchen and set up the front to sleep in. I tried it out this weekend at Sturgis Ms and it worked great. The weather was super hot but the air conditioner did fine. I was parked with a couple of large rvs but most people wanted to look at mine. I need to get some pictures up, maybe soon. Look around the net for some of these designs.
SEE YA: Keith
harldydodge1
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves