Hello from Louisiana!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby forestfrog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Madjack, that's too funny...it's a small world! I spent many weekends at the skating rink growing up and swimming at Deans Hole and the gravel pits (all posted and gated now). We still walk that cold branch down at Mary Lee though and there's a swimming hole on Big Creek near Windywood that's still accessible. I have a bunch of old Fishville photos from the past 80+ years...I'll try to remember to bring copies to the campout.
:campfire:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:16 pm

hey Kristi, our shop (Alligator Tears) is 2mi out Dyson Creek Rd from Pollock...come visit some time................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby B52 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi Kristi,
Guess since we're neighbors it'd be only neighborly to send you a hearty welcome to this band of the teardrop obsessed! Lots and lots of great info and off the wall input to be found here. I'll second Madjacks invite for you to come see the Alligator Tear at our shop in Pollock.
Cool Thing and Westy! I used to suffer with the dreaded VW syndrome back in my younger days. Sold my '70 Kombi to a guy on Hardwater Lake. He almost made it to the mouth of Big Creek before the motor seized. Gee, I miss those days!

P.S. I'd LOVE to see that American Coach!!
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby forestfrog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:08 am

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. I'd love to stop by the shop sometime and see Alligator Tear...I finally got to browse through the website and she's a beauty! You're welcome to come see the American Coach...we'd like to get her rolling again someday, but it'll be many years before we can afford to deconstruct/rebuild the shed and carport to get her out. There's never a shortage of projects around here, LOL.
Kristi
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Welcome

Postby BillyLandry » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:02 am

Hi Kristi-- We are not neighbors, but I would like to say welcome. I am
from Franklin, LA. Don't have a teardrop yet, but I am Bidding on some plans on Ebay. Hope to build soon.
"It's not the qualifications--It's the willingnest."
BillyLandry
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:03 am

hey Billy, you are coming upto Lake Bistineau in Oct aren't you...grab a soft sided tear(tent) and come on up and bring your camera and notebook...lotssa tears, ideas and good times to be had......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Pineville?

Postby stbuch » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:53 am

It is a small world, when we lived in LA (Ft.Polk), we used to go to Alexandria all the time to shop and go to the little zoo there.

Sherrie :dancing
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:51 am

Sherrie, I am glad to hear y'all liked it...the zoo is a real source of pride here in town and over the last several years has been improved tremendously...what I usually hear is..."FT Polk...I spent the worst %*)$#$*^(&() months/years of my life there"...y'all should come over for the Oct gathering....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby forestfrog » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:51 am

Hi Billy...I used to pass through Franklin all the time when I worked in the Atchafalaya Basin. I lived in a floating tin can for three summers between Pierre Part and Morgan City, LOL. I spent most of my time between Belle River and Flat Lake and west to Grand Lake/Lake Fausse. I love that area! Good luck with your build....I'm still in the dreaming stage right now, LOL!

Sherrie...the Zoo really has undergone some amazing improvements and expansions during the last few years. If you're ever in the area, be sure to stop by. I try to get to Alabama a couple of times a year to camp with the Bama Bus Brigade (VW Club) in Talladega NF...I'm sure a teardrop (or 2 or 12) would be welcome if you'd ever like to join us!

Hope to see you guys at Lake Bistineau!
:campfire:
Kristi
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

What?!

Postby stbuch » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:23 pm

I can't imaging anybody hating Louisiana. I did some of the best eating of my life there....

and where else can you see gators in the ditches on the side of the road?

Or get boudin at any gas station? Yaaeee! :thumbsup:

We lived there for four years, so I was obviously a convert!

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby Nic » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:02 am

AWSOME to have another VW fan!!! :cheerswine: Im for sure looking forward to your build. AND pictures, because we like that here dont we guys and gals? And hearing how well your beetle pulls. My camper is just about done so i have not pulled yet. Not too many cars out there that go with a teardrop as well as a beetle. (Dont tell the PT Cruiser guys that though) :D
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby forestfrog » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:10 pm

It's great there are so many VW fans (current and past) on here! Can't wait to see pics of your build...I'm picking up my trailer frame today (YIPPEE!) and can't wait to get started.

Edited to add: I just looked through your album...you've done an amazing job on your TD and it looks great behind your Bug!! Now I'm really motivated to start building!

:woohoo: :hammer:
Kristi
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:51 am

Thanks Kristi!!! Get that thing going. Do you know what kind you want to build? I came up with my own for my needs. What color bug did you get?
Nic
500 Club

Postby forestfrog » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:28 am

The trailer is unpacked and ready for assembly! :D

I started out with the Benroy profile, but by the time I finished modifying it, the profile looked more like a Benroy/CampInn (unintentional) hybrid, LOL! I decided on a 5'x8' TD on a 4'x8' HF frame. My goal is lightweight and inexpensive, so I'm using alot of salvaged materials left over from other projects. Since I already have several sheets of 1/8" interior ply, I'll probably go with a painted mural for the outside and a painted interior with simple natural cypress shelves (no cabinets).

I'm shopping for a used TDI Beetle, but they're scarce around here. I'd like the cyber/gecko green or sunflower yellow w/ a sunroof, but I won't be picky if I find a good used one. If I end up getting a new one, it'll probably be yellow.

The build starts this weekend (maybe sooner)!!
8)
Kristi
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Nic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:20 pm

Hey Kristi check out craigslist.com they always have beetles for sale by owners most of the time, and once in a while by a dealer. (the new beetle has more chrome trim on the inside and a larger engine. NO longer a 2.0 but a 2.5) And you know when you paint your camper it needs to be peace signs and hippy flowers. :peace:
Nic
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves