Hello Guys

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello Guys

Postby Telbone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:59 pm

I just wanted to say hello to you guys. I've been reading alot of information here and I think I'm about ready to try'n build a teardrop. I camp and fish alot, but this past year I started bringing my 3yr old on all my trips and my 1 1/2 old on some of them. Tent camping is getting to be too tough with them so I need a better alternative.

I was planning on building the new cub that I saw in the designs. If I'm correct then it's a trailerless chassis which is what I'm after. From what I can tell the frame of the trailer is unnecessary and I want bigger wheels so I was going to foregoe purchasing the trailer and just bolt the spring brackets directly to the wooden floor and go from there.

I'll be honest. I'm much more into practicality than looks, though I would like a cool looking teardrop, who wouldn't?

I'll probably bombard you guys with a million questions soon... I like to be sure of something before I do it... old habit.

I really appreciate the time you guys have taken with this forum. I've already gained alot of info from your posts.

Later,
Mark
Telbone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:32 am

Mark,
Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:
I'm wondering if you might have seen a profile that skirts the frame, which is very common. The sidewalls actually hang down further than the floor and hide the steel frame... except the tounge.
An all wood project is possible, but for what your needs are going to be, I'd say take a look at using at least a minimal steel frame to attach to. :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby KA » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Welcome,
Take a look at the Generic Benroy plans on top of the page and you can get an idea of one way to put together a teardrop. Also, check out the albums of people who are in the process of building or have finished their trailers. Steve Frederick's shop manual is a great thing to purchase as well. And, don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions. We all learn that way and there are lots of generous, patient, and helpful people on the forum.
Have fun. :)
Kris
p.s. You will also learn a great deal if you can attend a teardrop gathering. Check on the lower part of the forum index to see what is happening in your area....great fun.
KA
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Welcome Mark,
I caught you on the other so I will just tell you to bring lots of bubble oil cause we get a little off sometimes. Enjoy the forum and ask away. Please also remember we need the pictures cause we gotta Mad Jack and a Mad Aussie (somewhere around here) and Aunti M( thats me) has to have her fix.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves