Iowa today..The World tomorrow.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Iowa today..The World tomorrow.

Postby wolfix » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:51 am

Introducing myself here. I came across this site just today. I have been looking at tiny campers for about a year now. I had settled on the A-Liner , but I have this need to build a unit myself.
Today I came across a fold out design that i fell in love with. The individual who posted this camper had a link directing me to you guys.

My needs are slightly different then most. What I need is a office/sleeping quarters that can be pulled behind a Ford Ranger. I have the type of job that is unique in the sense that I work like crazy, then have bunches of time off.
But I need to be able to communicate with my clients during the day at all times. The internet [especially wireless] and cell phones allow me to be on the move. The way I figure it, I can work on the computer just as well where I want to be, then sitting at my home office.

So my design plans on having a work table that converts to a bed, a fridge and a small one burner stove to make my coffee. A 5x8 , with a hard pop up top would be perfect.

My friends suggest a kitchen set-up but the truth is I cook at home all the time and I do not want to do it on the road. A micro wave and a one burner will do me good.

The few times I do go on my 1-3 day camping trips , I can cook with a portable grill or a crockpot.

I chose to go with a pull trailer instead of a van because I want it real nice and plan on keeping it forever.

So I will be asking questions from you guys.

:twisted:
Wolfix
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:59 am

where about in Iowa?
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby wolfix » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:39 pm

Woody wrote:where about in Iowa?

Cedar Falls
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Welcome Wolfix!

Postby BestmanDan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:13 pm

Where in Iowa? I am near Iowa City...leaning toward a 5X8... :twisted:
BestmanDan
Donating Member

Re: Welcome Wolfix!

Postby wolfix » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:47 pm

BestmanDan wrote:Where in Iowa? I am near Iowa City...leaning toward a 5X8... :twisted:

Cedar Falls. Love Iowa City though....
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby coreyjhen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:06 am

I love Iowa. I'm originally from northeastern Minnesota and my parents still live there, so I drive through at least annually. Rolling hills, farms (with crops!), rivers - Iowa is where I start to feel that I'm getting close to home. Of course, there was the time an Iowa State Trooper stopped me and demanded to see my passport...
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby wolfix » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:16 pm

coreyjhen wrote:I love Iowa. I'm originally from northeastern Minnesota and my parents still live there, so I drive through at least annually. Rolling hills, farms (with crops!), rivers - Iowa is where I start to feel that I'm getting close to home. Of course, there was the time an Iowa State Trooper stopped me and demanded to see my passport...

He was just doing his job....... Here in Iowa, all Minnesotians look suspicious.

I love NE Minnesota. I always wanted to retire in Ely. NE Minnesota is in my plans to visit as soon as I build a teardrop. I want to go hang out there before I buy some land there.
Where in NE Minnesota you from? 8) 8)
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby coreyjhen » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:44 pm

I'm from Duluth, and it must have been the Packers front plate... Aren't all you Iowans Viqueens fans?

As soon as you finish your teardrop you really need to do the Circle Tour of Lake Superior - plan on about two weeks. If you can't get that amount of time, go to the Gunflint Trail - Ely is the gateway to the Boundary Waters, and the Gunflint is the best part (although technically not part of the Wilderness Area). Gorgeous! But bring a big anchor - the mosquitoes up there will fly away with you otherwise.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby Marty » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:22 pm

coreyjhen,

Really dry this July and a major fire just off the Gunflint trail. One of my buddies is going up grosse hunting this weekend, so we'll see how much damage. Just to make you a little home sick the fall colors are happening right now. We have had a wet September so the leaves are not as vibrant but looking good just the same. The ducks and geese are flocking and testing their flying wings. I got a nice little sleu across the road and tonight especially the geese were practicing touch and goes. Just thought I'd give you a little Up Nort talk !! Bought a hail damaged tent camper tonight for $100. 5'x9' with a torsion axle from a guy in Northfield. So, life is good in Vikingland. Packers do suck this year, don't you know !!!

Marty
The four most expensive words in renovation are: "While we're at it..."
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:48 am

Welcome Wolfix,
You might want to have a look at the Escape Hatch, Winter Warrior, I have seen them both and they are fantastic if you want small and to stand up.

Enjoy and please!!!Pictures :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wolfix » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:17 am

coreyjhen wrote:I'm from Duluth, and it must have been the Packers front plate... Aren't all you Iowans Viqueens fans?

As soon as you finish your teardrop you really need to do the Circle Tour of Lake Superior - plan on about two weeks. If you can't get that amount of time, go to the Gunflint Trail - Ely is the gateway to the Boundary Waters, and the Gunflint is the best part (although technically not part of the Wilderness Area). Gorgeous! But bring a big anchor - the mosquitoes up there will fly away with you otherwise.

Who are the Vikings????? I like the Packers....... I have done the Boundary Waters many times. I almost moved to Duluth but the winter is just too long there. Duluth has really been a city on the upward move towards coolness........ Wonderful place.
I made a commitment towards simplistic living a few years ago. That was what got me interested in smaller campers. All my friends have these big boats and work all year to be able afford one good trip a year to Canada fishing. Silly. I have found my most enjoyable trips have been to the BWCA and taken just day trips into the wilderness. It really looks all the same once you get out of sight of the docks...... :lol:

Then at night go into town for a good meal and few beers... I love talking to locals. Then back to camp for a fire and bed. I hate cooking when camping. I cook for all my friends at home and love it there, but vacation is vacation!!!!!

I raised bird dogs for years and loved grouse hunting up there. But I do believe the skeeters were bigger then the grouse. But the Vikings ???? There are two things in Minnesota that I do not really enjoy ...The Vikings and my ex-wife that lives in the cities..... But hey..... We can talk hockey!!!!
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves