Hi from Round Rock, TX

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from Round Rock, TX

Postby lanego » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:10 pm

:pinktear: Just want to introduce myself a little more (I've met some of you on another thread). I just found teardrops about a month ago while looking for pop-up plans. I am in love - scratch the pop-up idea! I have been looking at everything I can find. Ooh, heaven. I want to build a Slumbercoach and really go wild. However, I have never attempted a project of this scope. Some other contributing factors to my current dilemma: I live (for now) in an apartment; I'm new to the Austin area and am just making friends, i.e., I can't borrow some expertise and a barn; also, I am like a teardrop, small, compact and vintage, so I need to test my strength (I'm not a complete wuss, I kayak two or three times a week, but I don't backpack or run 5 miles anymore). I really want to join in the teardrop experience and not wait 2 years to finish my first project. After surfing around this forum all week and seeing the intricacies of this project, I have come up with a plan and would like some input, but no laughing at my compromise test run!
I thought I would build a miniaturized teardrop galley and front storage for my gear on a harbor freight 40-1/2 x 48" with the 12" wheels. I already sleep in back of my little Nissan Frontier w/ a camper top, so I could continue to do that and store my Dragonfly, screenroom and other gear in the front compartment of the tear. This would eliminate the mess where I sleep and make setup and takedown so much faster. I also thought a mini Cab silhouette would be cute for this project,but am not sure it would work. I could do alot of this on my patio and storage room. I wouldn't need a full garage with careful planning. Has anyone tried this? Any helpful comments? Does anyone absolutely think this is a bad idea?
lanego
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:44 pm

...you could easily build a mini-TD on that frame..upto about 4'x6'...you could build it using regular TD building techniques and gain valualbe experience for when you build one "for real"....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:48 pm

Welcome neighbor! I lived in apartment when we first moved here and it just about drove me crazy. At least we had a garage that had enough room for me to rebuild my engine.

Anyway, let me get this straight. You want to build a teardrop shaped utility trailer with a galley? You may as well make it a "regular" tear and store your stuff in the truck. One of the great things about a tear is the ability to just hitching it up and heading out. It was a bit of a revelation the first time I used mine. I went up in the attic, where I store my camping stuff, and said, "Huh, I don't need to pack any of this stuff because it's already in the trailer."

Also, putting large things into a tear can be a pain. At least for me, putting in mattress inside was.

If you wanna see mine, I'm usually free on Sun, Mon, Tue afternoons. PM me if you're interested.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby lanego » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Madjack! I have seen teardrops built out wide over the wheels, but I will need to hunt down a design of the floor - not sure how to accomplish that. :scratchthinking: I do plan to build it just like its "big brothers". I have all the basic tools listed in the thread except the router, which I have never used - Maybe they have a class on that at Home Depot. :hammer:

Asianflavva, I don't think I can attempt a full-sized teardrop right now & I want it NOW! Or at least by next summer! I don't have a garage for the project yet, plus I think this will give me the experience I need to prepare for the real deal. :dead: I haven't anything very big to put in there. My kayak is a hybrid Dragonfly, fits in a dufflebag, a pop-up screenroom - about 2 lbs., and just the personal stuff. Other than the experience, the big payoff is the galley to me; I can have everything ready to go when I get there, really cook while I'm camping and have no fuss when I leave; all in fine style! :wine: I wouldn't mind a tour of your really nice tear sometime. A first-hand look is better than 1K words.

Keep the comments coming, all advice is greatly appreciated. Should I move this to a different topic now?

Lane in RR
lanego
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Lane,

I think you might want to send me your e-mail address so that I could send you the set of drawings I have done - for putting a Cub-shaped baggage teardrop on a HF 40x48 trailer......

Image Image

The dotted line is a full-size Cub. OK, it hasn't got a galley - you don't get everything you want in this life!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves