Hello and Thank you

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello and Thank you

Postby BobandLaura » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:02 pm

I've been reading this board so much over the past few weeks that I feel like I know some of you. I really want to thank you for this wonderful resource. My husband and I are toying with the idea of a teardrop...but after all I've read here, I am decided I want one.

I know the edict about pictures, but if I posted a picture now it would just be me scratching my head, or staying awake all night saying, "Build one? Buy one? Build one?" ;)

So thanks again, and please don't mind me lurking for a bit longer. Soon I will start bombarding you with questions and you'll wish I had stayed as a lurker. Laura
BobandLaura
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello and Thank you

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:11 pm

BobandLaura wrote:I've been reading this board so much over the past few weeks that I feel like I know some of you. I really want to thank you for this wonderful resource. My husband and I are toying with the idea of a teardrop...but after all I've read here, I am decided I want one.

I know the edict about pictures, but if I posted a picture now it would just be me scratching my head, or staying awake all night saying, "Build one? Buy one? Build one?" ;)

So thanks again, and please don't mind me lurking for a bit longer. Soon I will start bombarding you with questions and you'll wish I had stayed as a lurker. Laura

Bob & Laura, You are doing the right thing to do as much reading as possible until you decide to build or buy a manufactured one. I hope you decide to build, you'll have lots of fun. What a wonderful seaside town Carlsbad is. I worked on Roosevelt St in a Cabinet shop there in the 70's. Have fun, :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tonyj » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:47 pm

We've all been where you are now. Try to make some of the gatherings or meet people who post where they are going camping. There is nothing that will feed the addiction more than seeing these things in person.

Welcome to our neighborhood.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby BobandLaura » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Danny, I don't know if the cabinet shop is still on Roosevelt, but maybe I should check into it...I might have needs of their talents.

Tony, one of the things that scares me about building is your signature: two eyes and ten fingers. I'm afraid I might not end up so lucky.

Laura
BobandLaura
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tonyj » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:08 am

BobandLaura wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Danny, I don't know if the cabinet shop is still on Roosevelt, but maybe I should check into it...I might have needs of their talents.

Tony, one of the things that scares me about building is your signature: two eyes and ten fingers. I'm afraid I might not end up so lucky.

Laura

That signature was added after a close call trying to cut a piece of aluminum in a way I knew wasn't entirely safe. I got off with a warning and not a fine. Believe me, it is a reminder to myself every time I start a piece of woodworking equipment. Even lowly hammers and screwdrivers can do damage. The main point is to work safely, always be aware of where your fingers are, and take proper safety precautions to protect your eyes face, and body.

I have no fear of using woodworking/metal working tools, and neither should you. Have respect for them, practice and learn how to use them correctly and safely. That way you can keep all your eyes and digits.

These trailers offer so much in the way of skill building that it is a great project for beginners. It is an ambitious project, but one that can be started with the goal to build and learn skills at the same time. There are lots of builders on this board who had absolutely no experience when they started, and they built a functioning trailer they could be proud of, one step at a time.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 am

Welcome Bob and Laura,
I bet you read some of the boo boo's we have. :? Safety equipment is almost as important as paying attention to the little stuff and putting things away. (girls need shoes) ;)

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:28 am

Welcome Laura & Bob ... ladies first, ya know ! haha

The best advice, whether you build or look at buying, is to see a teardrop in person . Or better yet, more than one. Stand at the galley, lay down inside, measure your height and go with 5' wide whether you are small or large people.

And remember that one of the greatest things about teardrops is that you can make it just for you, or modify it for what you want/need. Fancy, plain, simple , extravagant, woody, aluminum, painted, wide , long, tall, even electrical or not !

Most of all.... have fun !!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:37 am

BobandLaura wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Danny, I don't know if the cabinet shop is still on Roosevelt, but maybe I should check into it...I might have needs of their talents.

laura

Laura, That shop (Andy's) was sold, changed names, moved to Oceanside and has since went under like every Cabinet shop I have ever worked for. Cabinet shops are highly competitive and are usually run by Cabinetmakers not business men. The only shop in your area that I could recommend would be Barber Cabinets on Cedros Ave. They are down the street from the "Belly Up" in Solana Beach. You have a terrific resource for exotic woods in Carlsbad @ Tropical Hardwoods of Latin America. You could make some beautiful cabinets with some of their wood. Danny
http://www.anexotichardwood.com/
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby BobandLaura » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm

Aunti M and Tony: Thanks for your encouragement. We are very safety conscious here. We always wear safety googles when working. 8) Aunti M, I think you have been spying at my house. I'm notorious for being barefoot or in sandles, and Bob always reminds me to put real shoes on before working. :running man:

If (when?) we do this, I've already made a vow that I won't do any work if I'm home by myself. And Bob gets to play with the saws. Thanks, Laura
BobandLaura
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BobandLaura » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Julie, thanks for your wise advise, and thanks for all the tips I've gleaned from you already. We have gone to see a Little Guy in person. It's the only thing available that I know of in our area. There are some good things about it, but some that don't work for us. Bob uses a wheelchair, and their "galley" is almost completely inaccessible to him. That's why building would be so good for us. We could make low, wide doors for easy transfer. We could redesign the galley to put most of the usuable space at his level.

We MIGHT be able to get to Wrightwood this weekend when they have the Run to the Top. Hopefully we could meet some teardrop owners there. Otherwise, we are close to Lake Perris in the Spring. But I hope we'll be camping in a teardrop by then. :worship:

Laura
BobandLaura
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BobandLaura » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Julie, thanks for your wise advise, and thanks for all the tips I've gleaned from you already. We have gone to see a Little Guy in person. It's the only thing available that I know of in our area. There are some good things about it, but some that don't work for us. Bob uses a wheelchair, and their "galley" is almost completely inaccessible to him. That's why building would be so good for us. We could make low, wide doors for easy transfer. We could redesign the galley to put most of the usuable space at his level.

We MIGHT be able to get to Wrightwood this weekend when they have the Run to the Top. Hopefully we could meet some teardrop owners there. Otherwise, we are close to Lake Perris in the Spring. But I hope we'll be camping in a teardrop by then. :worship:

Laura
BobandLaura
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BobandLaura » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:28 pm

Danny, Thanks for the great link. I never knew that company was there. They sure have some beautiful wood! I know there is another hardwood store on Cedros in Solana Beach. Maybe I'll go down there and also find the cabinet shop.

Wood and cabinets were two of the questions I had, but I think I'll post them under a building section. I'm so happy I registered. You all are an invaluable source of information and inspiration.

Sorry about the double posting before. I'll try not to do that again.
Laura
BobandLaura
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:23 pm

BobandLaura wrote:Danny, Thanks for the great link. I never knew that company was there. They sure have some beautiful wood! I know there is another hardwood store on Cedros in Solana Beach. Maybe I'll go down there and also find the cabinet shop.

Wood and cabinets were two of the questions I had, but I think I'll post them under a building section. I'm so happy I registered. You all are an invaluable source of information and inspiration.

Laura

Laura, You obviously are talking about Cut & Dried Hardwoods on Cedros. Great place and they have lots of exotic wood, woodworking books & tools. Barber Cabinets is just south and on the left side of the street. Another place in San Diego is Frost Lumber they carry a wide variety of hardwoods & sheet goods. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves