New member From Seattle

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New member From Seattle

Postby puffbus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi All,

Like most, we have been lurking here for awhile. Decided to get posting because we are bringing home the trailer frame today. It's now in the form of a 1971 Apache popup camper. I'm concerned that it may be a bit large, but like the fact that it already has jacks at both ends, propane tanks (probably not updated) and hydraulic brakes. Since the price was right (free), at worst we will lose a bit of time stripping it down. If it's reasonably rust free we will work with it using ideas from the forum and those great .dxf files. I use AutoCad for my drawings.

I'm a retired architect and general contractor with an early background in furniture and cabinet making. My youngest son and I recently completed a conversion on a 40' MCI bus (read Greyhound) to a class A RV. Plans have changed and that vehicle is now sold. We have been campers for many years and our oldest son jokes that he did most of his growing up in the back of a 1963 VW Van camping on California beaches.

Two months ago I had no idea we would be starting another project, let alone a teardrop. But since we sold the MCI, Bobbie has decided she wants a project built just for her. She missed the craftsmanship and pride of ownership that only many hours and days working together can provide. And, following many years of me making furniture and cabinets for others, she had not one piece of my work. After nearly 40 years together......well, you guys get the idea....

I have lung cancer, probably from breathing gallons of lacquer and thinner at work while finishing furniture, so this just may be the final project. But, she will get her teardrop as soon as I can get it together. We have the tools, the knowlege and experience. Now we just need the time.

Bobbie's last words on this were "when I crawl in to sleep at night, it will feel like crawling in to your heart". So she will be named "Heart".

Thanks for all the information and pictures and the willingness to share.

Michael
Of all the four letter words, I like "fish" the best and "work" the least....

Avatar: Michael & Bobbie renewing vows at 39 years..
puffbus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:18 pm

Welcome Bobby and Michael,
With those references Good luck seems like an oxymoron. Please feel free to post lots of pictures and could you do it yesterday so I can steal, uh borrow ideas. :twisted:

I am not by any wild strech of the imagination a craftsman but if you check my "build info" you will get an idea of how big you are looking at. The bed is 54" x 70" and the excess space is 27" wide. The overall width is 6' 4".

I look forward to your build and I am sure you understand the term "low on bubble oil." So If you find mine could you let me know. :lol:

A special blessing to you both.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Welcome Michael and Bobbie,

Glad you decided to stop in and spend some time with us. Please take a few pictures as the work on "Heart" progresses so we can share the joy of the build.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:35 pm

Welcome
Time to start deconstruction and building something good on that old chassis. Remember "We Love Dem Pictures".
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi Michael and Bobbie,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you knew that was coming! That's a very touching set of circumstances, and your teardrop to be is well named.

I hope the two of you have fun building and hope it creates lots of joyful memories.

We'll be here if you have any questions, but I suspect once the chassis is done, there won't be many.

Take some pictures though, we'd like to follow the build. Happy 39'th!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gerdo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:50 am

Puffbus
Keep us informed on your progress with your TD and your health. Sorry to hear of your ailment.
Gerdo
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BestmanDan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:23 pm

I am a newbie too...I am happy to be in such good company. It will be fun to see your progress and I hope I can start soon as well. Good Luck!

:thumbsup:
BestmanDan
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves