Planning a trip to Alaska ..

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Planning a trip to Alaska ..

Postby K-1 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:15 am

My name is Wayne and my Wife is Dena and we live in Tennessee ... we are planning an extended vacation (may not come back) to Alaska next year and want to pull a small travel trailer with us.

I especially like Kellers Roadtoad and want to build something like that. Our Daughter is 7 and when school ends next May we are going to leave on an adventure of a lifetime. Will be looking for all info related to building an Alaska ready trailer. Any info much appreciated :)

We wanted to say Hi and congratulate this forum on containing so much useful information. Thanks to the people who run and contribute to this place .. we love it ! Thanks !! -Wayne-
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gerald_G » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:23 pm

My first tip (having drove the Alaska highway a dozen or so times) is to maximize wheel/tire size.

My tent trailer with little (I think 10" or 12") went through a whole set of tires and blew one half way back in one trip.

My small cargo trailer with BIG 15" (build for off-road behind a jeep) use has made the trip twice, and once more to Wisconnson and back on the same two used tires.

It rolls way better to boot.

I personally suggest a minimum of 13".

Also - make SURE to stop at Liard hot springs on the way !!!
Gerald_G
Teardrop Master

Postby K-1 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:30 pm

I was thinking 14's with car tires not trailer tires ... I have a friend that has a house in Fairbanks and he has told me about the Alaskan Highway ... sounds like a rough and beautiful trip :)

Mike said to use car or light truck tires as the "rag" as he called them .. trailer tires won't make the journey. Thanks !! -Wayne-
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby sid » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:45 pm

Where in TN are you from?
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby K-1 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:48 pm

Loudon :)
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dennis T » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:45 am

You may want to contact Ray and Debby. They went there this year. You can find them by searching rayanddebby on this site and e-mail them. hope it helps?

Dennis T
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:12 am

Thanks ! :)
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Prior Trip

Postby thexporter » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:55 am

If you go to Camp-Inn's website ( http://www.tinycamper.com/ ) click on travel pictures, then click on the left side bottom "Alaska". There is a very nice story of a couple that took a trip to Alaska. Well worth your time.

Dennis
thexporter
Donating Member

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:25 am

Thanks I will do that now :) Much appreciated. -Wayne-
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 am

...don't forget to checkout the links in the Alaska section that Phred, the worlds furthest north TD builder has posted
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:40 am

Welcome to the forum K-1.

My youngest son is up near you in college at Maryville. Beautiful country up that way, just beautiful. We'll be going to Elkmont 17 Octber, then on to Brevard, NC for the Fall Crawl at Davidson River 20-22. There should be about 15 or 16 tears there, so if you get a chance come by and visit, or stay a night or two.

Alaska, been there and want to go back!
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:46 am

That was great .. can't wait for the Wife to get home so she can see it :) Thanks again !! -Wayne-
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:49 am

sid wrote:Welcome to the forum K-1.

My youngest son is up near you in college at Maryville. Beautiful country up that way, just beautiful. We'll be going to Elkmont 17 Octber, then on to Brevard, NC for the Fall Crawl at Davidson River 20-22. There should be about 15 or 16 tears there, so if you get a chance come by and visit, or stay a night or two.

Alaska, been there and want to go back!

I work near Maryville (Alcoa) and it is a beautiful area. We like to take the back roads into the mountains during the winter time .. no tourists and BEAUTIFUL scenery :D
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 am

We rent our house and have been talking about buying a place ... so I decided we better go see Alaska first ... that way we can put our things in storage and be free as a bird to roam about the wilderness for many months.

My real hope is that once we get up there the Wife will say "Hun can't we stay" ;) With no home to anchor us here ....

I am a fisherman big time so I have my eye on the Kenai Peninsula as my destination of choice. Homer AK and the Homer Spit is looking pretty good to me :)
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:06 am

madjack wrote:...don't forget to checkout the links in the Alaska section that Phred, the worlds furthest north TD builder has posted
madjack 8)

Whenever I try to bring up the links page I get this message:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/mnmcc/public_html/forums/includes/linkz/links_functions.php on line 177

:(
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves