UK completion of an Ultralight

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

UK completion of an Ultralight

Postby UK-Corlett » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:21 pm

This new post is simply to introduce the final photos in my libruary. And end the discussion on the weld.

It goes on holiday in two week to Cornwall 350 miles away. Thats a long way in the UK.

Thanks again for all the design help : Clive

PS It towes nicely at 60mph

PPS The kitchen will take all winter to finish
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm

Poor Thang, nobody want to congratulate you on a VERY NICE Teardrop Build!!
But I will!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

Good Job, that is way sweet!!

Talk to me about that Aluminum, is that mill finish or anodized...I'm still having a hard time figuring out the different types of Alum, no mater how many searches I do.

go camping!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby thobbs » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:44 pm

Beautiful!
thobbs
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:55 pm

Henry, looks very nice, taking to the road and all...those round windows are slick...like the round latch handle on the door as well.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:45 pm

Yes very nice looking :applause:
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gerdo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:48 pm

Looks good, UK. Time to go out camping.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Congrats Clive,

It looks very nice. Did you ever get a final weight on that? (in pounds of course!!!)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby UK-Corlett » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:55 am

Hi Mary K

Again the problem I had with construction was materials.

We have no history of "Aluminium Sideing" or Cladding materials of any kind. I guess the techniques of applying it are also well under stood that side of the pond. You use Styrofoam in your home construction we generally do not. So the Styrofoam was difficult to get also.

The grade of Ally for the sheet material is BS 1200 or 99% pure ally or Alcan GB-C2C. The finish is raw.

I think the finish doug hodder got on his was fantastic. I think I will get round to finding out how he did it.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ser_id=454

And for the trim it was BS 6063 a AL Mg Si alloy or Alcan GB-50S. The great advantage of the 6063 is that it can be annealed. Anneal at 775 F for 3 hours and use controlled cooling at rate of 50 F per hour down to 500 F. Then air cool. I did this on a charcoal barbecue. I have a K type thermocouple and 18mVolts on the multi-meter = 775F see album photos
See also. http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/6063.asp

Hi thobbs / K-1
Thanks

Hi madjack
Yes the windows have been well received. I made them round because I have a circular cutting jig for my jigsaw and I thought it would be easyer than square.
However I think its the little things that make a big difference, like the handel you noticed. It was tricky getting US style fittings here, so I went for a art-neuve look, much easier to find things in keeping here in the UK. Although Lil-Bear through his mate in the UK Pop Browns got me the waterproof hinge and he has a nice selection of mud guards (out of my price bracket).

Hi Gerdo and mikeschn
I do not know the weight yet but its UK law to have a name plate with curb-side weight on it. When I know I will post it.

Hi All
I left the thing out in a rain storm Tue's night so I now know where it leaks in. None into the cabin but some through the horizontal opening of the back door. I have added some seals which I hope will keep out the rain (we get a lot of that here).

Clive :)
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:13 am

Beautiful job, Clive! Interesting that you put the door on the right side. We tend to do that in the US because that puts the door on the curb side - obviously, that puts it on the street side in the UK. Not a real problem, I would think.

Anyway, hope her maiden voyage is a great one!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:22 am

Clive, That looks great. I like the round windows. Enjoy your first trip.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mamos » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:10 am

That looks great Clive

Where did you get to in Cornwall

I'm in Falmouth, It's a shame I didn't see this post before as we could have met up and had a beer

Oh well, next time

mamos
mamos
Teardrop Inspector

Postby UK-Corlett » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi mamos

There is a campsite just 2-3miles outside Falmouth on the Truro road just before a big pub. Very good actually. I stayed for two days to see a pall of mine who lives in Falmouth.

I posted a few pictures and notes in "general discussion" - Maiden voyage

Are you building ?

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves