Trying this without kids for help!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Trying this without kids for help!

Postby Lesbest » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi everybody; Have been stumbling around the web and reading about teardrops for about a year now, and it's time to take the plunge. Some neat designs, our grown girls think it is neat, my wife thinks it's a coffin, I keep telling her coffins don't have windows and doors. So, I'm from NE Oh. and wife and I are getting tired of tent camping, and we don't want a "big" trailer. I think a TD is the way to go. The Girls are grown and out of the house, So a trailer for two (and a 45lb. dog) is in the works. All of the extras on the forum are going to be learning experience, you will see progress after college breaks etc. (kids help when home yaknow). Nice to talk to you all. I'll have to find a quote, avatar, etc. so bear with me. Les Best (more or less)
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:56 am

Welcome to the forum, read all you can because there is a lot of infomation here. If you have a question, just ask. If you can't wait for a reply, use the search button (at the top).

Les Best is better than being Lester Moore, "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more."
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby PaulC » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:02 am

Hi Les, Welcome on board. The avatar thing is simple, just post a pic of yourself so we all know who we are talking to. Makes it just that little bit more personal.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby davel » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:22 am

Les,

Welcome to the board. My wife also thought the same thing when we started building. After two years in the tear now, her claustraphobia is completely gone. She can even go into small dark spaces now without any anxiety.
davel
Donating Member

I would go........

Postby Maniac H3 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:51 pm

I am going five ft wide,,,,,,

This holds a regular queen size ....... we also have a 50 lb dog

Something to think about,

Maniac
Maniac H3
Teardrop Builder

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:41 am

5' wide is manditory -- in my view. Unless I took to camping and sleeping alone (nahhh) I wouldn't even consider a narrower design.

To make it simpler I built with just one fairly wide side door. I would do that again too.

Our dog is only 13 pounds (Italian Greyhound) and he sleeps in the TV.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:59 am

Welcome Les,
My first impression was a really cute but small. I made mine bigger, then got in a normal size one. I wish I had made mine smaller.

We have just a few requests---Pictures, Pictures, Pictures. Cause we luv em and we have a Mad one or two who take up snickering and other things if they don't get enough. 8) :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sam I am » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:34 pm

Hi, Les. My wife was concerned about claustrophobic feelings when we discussed building a tear. With that in mind, I built ours on a 5'x8' trailer frame, and made it 52" tall with no inner ceiling. I made a 28" x 42" door with a 21" square window on the right side and put a big 31" wide x 23" tall window on the left. The big window is an emergency exit type which can be swung out. The interior finish is birch and knotty pine - nice light colors. That plus the windows make a bright, non-confining atmosphere. We've used the tear twice and the wife has no claustrophobic feelings at all! She even remarked about how roomy it is! I recommend the 5' width for yours.
Sam I am
500 Club

Thanks for replies

Postby Lesbest » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking at building my own trailer or buying a kit, or a boat trailer, or stripping out an old popup, or ......
Pretty decisive huh? In the meantime I'll keep reading and learning.
My wife is warming up to the idea so I will have to strike while the iron is hot. I think a 5x9 is a minimum, maybe a 5x10 is better, much longer and the profile won't be correct. Big doors are a must, not as limber as I used to be, but wider. I'm 6'2" and mom is 5'10" so a Queen matress is a must.
Would like a killer kitchen, but won't be feeding an army. You all know the routine. As I get started I will send pics. Thanks again. Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves