Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

Postby quadman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:07 pm

Hello everyone, My name is Mark from Bethel Park, PA
I finished my teardrop this summer. I used basically the Kuffel Creek plans and modified them along the way. I made mine 5 x 10. Two doors. My wife and I used it two times and she has a hard time sleeping in it. A little clostrophobic. I was thinking of an addition. A pull out drawer if you will on the side she sleeps and pull down legs just like on the trailer. Then I would either make or modify a tent and it would snap to the trailer. This way she could either leave the door open so the local racoons don't jump in or sleep out in it. Or you could use it as a changing area. What do you think and any ideas on this. Thanks and again hello to everyone. Mark
quadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SteveH » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Hello Mark, and welcome to the forum. With respect to your wife's problem, we have the same thing here. What we've done is add an SUV tent to the side of the teardrop and it gives a place for the wife to go, if she wants. Take a look in my gallery and there is a picture of the whole deal there. The cool thing about it is there is no other construction or modifications to the trailer that needs to be done...just set up the tent and strap it to the side of the trailer.

If that doesn't work, give me a PM...she has some little white pill that also help. :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Hello from Pittsburgh, PA

Postby angib » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:52 am

quadman wrote:I was thinking of an addition. A pull out drawer

Mark,

Welcome. Nearly every idea has been tried already! About a quarter of the way down the 'Hall of Fame' (see top left of any page) is Marck's Six Pack Teardrop:

Sadly Marck's web site doesn't seem to be working, but there's a few pictures on his personal album, but none with the slide-out slid out. It's a couple of months since Marck posted, so I don't know if he'll chip in.

Marck's slide-out was to accomodate one or two children, and they would be on a separate bunk. So in his case, the fact the slide-out was on a different level wasn't a problem. In your case, it would be a problem (unless you simply pushed your wife entirely into the drawer, but that's not allowed, right?... right?). Also I would be surprised if you wouldn't have a problem with the drawer clashing with the fender.

If you just want to increase width by six inches or so and just over the section in front of the fender, then I can see that working. However, you would have to cut away the side of the teardrop over all this length to achieve this and then there won't be much holding your teardrop together. This is not to say it can't be done, but doing it to an already-built teadrop could be tricky.

But look on the bright side - you have achieved some sort of record on this forum by having your first post explain why you need to build tear #2! Can you feel a 5x10 coming on?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Juli n Bill » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:11 am

another vote for the side tent. Also are there windows in both of your doors? Bill was worried about the tear being a bit claustrophobic for him but the windows and the roof vent help. And the first few times we camped we had the side door open towards the tent. Now he's fine, it doesn't bother him. The tent is actually on my side, I really don't want to step out into the campsite first thing in the morning. :)
You can get the tent from the Sportsmansguide, we have the 8x8 model.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=189209
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:22 pm

Welcome Mark,
If going wider with side tent doesn't do it, perhaps you might be sure it is walls closing in or the ceiling. If it is the ceiling you might be able to modify it to a Winter Warror. 8) Or some other raised roof.
You could always sell and start over.

Good luck.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

this is great

Postby quadman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Hello guys and dolls. I just wanted to thank you all for responding to my request. I started out camping a kid tenting, married pop-up, tenting, quading, and wanted to get back to it but did not want all the grief of setting up the tent. Was looking for a small trailer old Scotty when I can across teardrops. Dug around talking and e-mailing people for 3-4 months fell in love with these things and just had to build one. I took me almost a year a little here a little there. I don't want a tent on the ground again. This is where I am coming up with the idea of a drawer type pull out from the side of the trailer. Then the tent would set-up on that. My trailer sits up high so I have plenty of clearance. You know when you get stuck on something or an idea. I'll keep digging and scratching. :cry:
quadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:23 pm

Gimme a shout, I'm just north of you in Butler. :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:14 am

I used to walk down to Smithfield Street everyday from Duquesne University! :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

South Side

Postby quadman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:47 am

Mike, My business is across the river from Duquesne Univ. When you were in school I was working over in the good old South Side.
quadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kens » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:29 am

And I was working on the north side at Spring Garden Roofing at the age of 16
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Vinyl, digital, Screenprinting

Postby quadman » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:32 pm

I also wanted to let everyone know that I have a Printing business. I haven't even done vinyl graphics on my own tear yet. If anyone needs help, questions or needs something made maybe I can help. Le me know. Happy designing!!! Mark
quadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:37 pm

Quadman,

Did you see the vinyl graphics on my Baja Benroy?

Mike...

P.S. I didn't spend a whole lot of time down on the south side of the river. I tended to go up to Mt Washington instead. A few years later I got a place in Brookline... That was before I was coherced into going to McKeesport. I finally ended up working in Dravosburg, and living in West Mifflin before I bailed out for Michigan! And now you guys know the rest of the story. :thinking:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Vinyl Graphics

Postby quadman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:18 am

Hi Mike,
I did look at the graphics, look good. Besides lettering we have this great machine that does print and cut so if you have a design and want it cut ot shape we just need an outline and it can be cut out. Seeing that this is not my reason for being here it was building a teardrop, using Kevin's plans form Kuffel Creek I would certainly do graphics for teardroppers at a reduced cost. Like I said I haven't even done mine yet and between having own business, wife, dog, kids, not much time. I will post pictures eventually. Have a good one. Mark
quadman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gerdo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:54 am

Your drawer floor tent addition sounds very doable. The drawer part shouldn't be too hard and you should be able to have the tent made at a boat cover shop.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves