Hello From An Extreme Newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello From An Extreme Newbie

Postby sandman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:00 am

Hello Everybody,

I am brand new to this forum and a future novice at building a Tear Drop. I have been seeing Teardrops for years at Auto Shows and always thought they were cool. I never imagined building one though until last weekend. I ride dirt bikes all year long and usually go on several overnight outings a year. Last weekend, I went to a big Fall Ride at Loretta Lynn's Ranch. I took my trusty pup tent and set it up. The temps dipped from 50 degrees to 31 degrees on Friday and Saturday. Even though I was sleeping in my clothes and a thick sleeping bag, I woke up at 3am with my nose plugged up with frozen snot. I could NOT stop shivering. I ended up leaving the confines of my tent and had to sack out in my truck. I cranked up the motor and ran it until I got some heat going. I slept sitting up in the driver's seat and woke up stiff and not in very good shape to climb on my dirt bike the next morning. Saturday night, I stayed in the tent and managed to go to Walmart and pick up a space heater. Well it got so cold, the thermal cut-off switch froze and the heater quit working at about 4 am. I awoke freezing again. I toughed it out though Sunday and decided there has to be a better way to stay warm and dry and not be at the mercy of the elements. Every since I got back from the camping trip, I have spent all my time researching cheap camper solutions. I found that my best value would be to build my own Tear Drop. Last night, I bought some plans from Kuffel Creek for the Cub. I have every tool in my workshop known to man so I am good on tools but short on knowledge about teardrops. If anyone can offer up some advice for a first time, I would appreciate it. I already know I will build my TD at 5 feet wide since I am a portly dude. Just not sure which trailer to go with since the Harbor Freight Trailer is only 4 feet wide. Help!!

After looking around here, I downloaded the Benroy Plans too. I really like the Benroy better than the Cub and want to build the Benroy first. Is this one easy to build?
sandman
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:03 am

Sandman:

Harbor freight makes different size trailers:

Go here and look at the 5x trailers that the forum most often suggests for
ideas. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11178

Also at the top of the thread is a beginning thought pattern for building your
trailer.

Keep on asking and we will try to help.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby sandman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:16 am

Thanks for the guidence, Steve. I really like the black 6x10 trailer...hmmmm..right in my budget too. Does it have to be modified or can it be used just the way it is?
sandman
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:31 am

Sandman:

Sandman wrote: <snip>I really like the black 6x10
trailer...hmmmm..right in my budget too. Does it have to be modified or
can it be used just the way it is?

Note: The first two trailers are 5 foot wide and 8 foot long.
Many build either 8 or 10 foot long on these frames.
That is they add two feet to the end of the trailer to make 10 feet.

The first black trailer is a 5x8 not a 6x10
HF model 93747 ITEM 93747-2VGA Black HF 1500 LB. $499.00
HF CAPACITY 60'' x 96'' = 5'x8' trailer 12'' WHEELS AND TIRES NOT a folding trailer
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=93747

If you look here on this PDF file you will see the side panels don't have to be used and so you can build flat.
Manual for the 93747 = http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/93 ... /93747.pdf
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby sandman » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 pm

Hey Coldbeer,

Motocross is way too scary for me. I am a trail/woods rider only. Just enduro type stuff for my old bones. I may try to see if I can build bike hauler on the front or back of my teardrop. Just tired of freezing and getting wet in a tent.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:34 pm

Sandman,

You've come to the right place...

A teardrop is not difficult to build. And for someone like you who has all the tools, it should be really easy.

I wouldn't waste time building a 4' wide tear. You'll start planning your 5' wide one before you finish your 4 footer.

You could build a generic benroy, and include a forced air furnace like I did in the Lil Diner, and stay warm, whether you are camping rustic or modern.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby sandman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 am

Hey Mike,

I actually fell in love with your Benroy plans and decided to build it. I will be using the Cub Plans as a guide for a few things. I am definately going with the 5 foot wide design. I am a BIG DUDE...at least fat so I need all the room I can get. ABout to order my trailer from redtrailer.com. I am getting the 5x8 trailer in black.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:16 am

Sandman, you know you can build 5-foot wide on a 4-foot wide trailer, right?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby elmo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:50 pm

sandman wrote:Hey Coldbeer,

Motocross is way too scary for me. I am a trail/woods rider only. Just enduro type stuff for my old bones. I may try to see if I can build bike hauler on the front or back of my teardrop. Just tired of freezing and getting wet in a tent.

Welcome! I know about the old bone thing! I am still recovering from a Dual Sport ride I did a couple weekends ago! :O Here is the ride report if interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ost3447786

Where are you and what are you riding? I have a 2002 Honda XR650R and a 2006 Kawasaki KLR650 for the dual sport stuff.

Elmer
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby PapaJ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:04 pm

Hey Sandman,

Welcome aboard. I signed on and started my build about two months ago.
I don't know if I would have attempted the build without the information I've gotten from this website.

These folks are the best!! :applause:

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby sandman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I feel very welcome here and everyone has been super helpful.
I did see you could build a 5 foot wide on a 4 foot trailer but the logistics seemed harder to me besides, I will be hauling my dirtbike on the front or back of the tear and needed all the width I could get.

Hey Elmo-Nice to meet a fellow rider. I ride a 2005 KTM 450EXC that I bought new. I have only been riding for a year and 5 months and it's been a long and painful learning process. I live in Arlington, TN right outside of Memphis. We ride pretty much everywhere in the Tri-State Area -TN, Arkansas, and Mississippi. I am a woods only rider and don't race any harescrambles or aything. I just trail ride for fun and enjoyment these days. I have been on advrider quite a bit but never posted. My riding group has a website which I am the Forum Admin of, come visit our site at http://www.tnridereports.com . I do ride reports of all our rides, take pics, and shoot helmet camera video which is shared on the site. Come join us.
Here's a pic of me in front of my crappy tent a few weeks ago after freezing my tail off in 31 degree overnight temps. The Tear drop will be a nice change of pace and comfortable for trail rides.
Last edited by sandman on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandman
Donating Member

Postby JawjaBoy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:14 pm

Same here [cold wet tents] but my bikin' days are over ! Welcome to a great forum. David
David ------------------------------------------
JawjaBoy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joanne » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:43 pm

Hey Elmo,

I see the KLR650 on your post! My main ride is a Road King, but I also have an '04 KLR too. Every time I don't ride it for a while and start to think about selling it, I take it out for a ride and remember how much fun it is! Although I don't really off-road ride, I do like to go off-pavement to photograph some of the old mines and ghost towns here in Nevada.

This is the train station at the old mining town of Rhyolite just outside of Death Valley.

This is the Gold Ace mine about 20 miles south of Rhyolite.

This is the Diamond Queen mine. Off in the distance is the Nevada Test Site where all the nuclear tests were done from the 1950s to the 1980s.

Riding the KLR is fun but I'm tired of falling over with it. It's heavier than it looks!

Joanne

elmo wrote:
Welcome! I know about the old bone thing! I am still recovering from a Dual Sport ride I did a couple weekends ago! :O Here is the ride report if interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ost3447786

Where are you and what are you riding? I have a 2002 Honda XR650R and a 2006 Kawasaki KLR650 for the dual sport stuff.

Elmer
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves