New guy from Southern California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New guy from Southern California

Postby cwm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:36 am

I've been toying with the idea of a teardrop for several years now. My biggest problem is that I can't make up my mind what I want, a 4x8 TD, a small standup travel trailer, or an airstream. I think I've finally decided that a 5x10 tear drop will get the job done.

If any californians out there have any advice about getting a home built trailer licensed through the CA DMV your input would be appreciated. I have a little anxiety about that, I hate dealing with the DMV.

I'm glad this forum exists, it's an excellent resource.
cwm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:40 am

So where abouts in Southern California do you live. There is a lot of us here in SoCal. I'm in Palmdale.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:05 am

CWM...If you are building your own frame...just save all your receipts, make copies of them, and just hand them over in a matter of fact manner, they will be really happy...total all the sales tax paid on materials...doctor up your hours on the build , tell them you want to register it as new construction, assuming you are building your own frame...I don't have propane tanks or holding tanks on mine, that may change the situation...I do know that permanant gas fixtures can effect the insurance...they may or may not ask for a weight ticket on it...this was just my experience in Placerville, Ca...30 min...in and out, and I got personalized plates...others experience may vary...after all it is DMV!!!! ..make sure you greet the DMV "associate" in a friendly manner to boot, can't hurt! Welcome aboard....now have some fun!!!
If you are going to build on a manufactured frame...just take the paper work in and liscense it...then build what you want on top.... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cwm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:19 am

Gage wrote:So where abouts in Southern California do you live. There is a lot of us here in SoCal. I'm in Palmdale.

Gage, I'm in Santa Barbara. I've been through Palmdale a few times in the last few months. I like it out there.
cwm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cwm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:21 am

Thanks for the info doug hodder! That helps me.
cwm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:13 am

CWM:

Doug has the right information on a DMV tag for sure for building your own trailer frame.

If you are going to buy a trailer and or put it together from say Harbor Freight then go to this thread on pre-built Trailers the forum most often recommends, to get some more information please.>

Trailers and axle information here including bearing maintenance:
Click here >T&TTT Forum Suggests 5 Trailers for New builds HERE~
AND
Going down towards the bottom of this link you will see this section that
may be of help:

Discussions and information of registering of trailers:

DMV Contact information for each state:
http://www.dmv-department-of-motor-vehicles.com/

1) Harbor Freight Trailers:
Harbor Freight trailers come with a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

2) Red Trailers:Web site RT
Question: How do I register my RedTrailer?
Answer: When you receive your RedTrailer Kit, the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin will be included in a brown envelope, taped inside the section of the box marked "OFFICIAL DOCUMENT ENCLOSED." Registration procedures for kit trailers vary widely, because they are regulated by state and local governments (a few states do not require registration at all), so please be sure to check with your local authorities. Some states require a notarized signature on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. If this is the case in your state, simply mail the certificate to RedTrailers.com, Inc., 300 Commerce Blvd., Quakertown, PA 18951. We'll get it notarized and return it to you as soon as possible.

Question: I lost the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin that came with my trailer. Can you send me a replacement?
Answer: Yes, but there is a $25.00 fee for issuing another certificate. We'll need to know the model number of your trailer, and its 17-digit serial number.

3) Tractor Supply Co. Trailer Model SKU #1000215 Walter confirms Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or Title ... Thanks Walter (surveytech)
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby JawjaBoy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Welcome ! :D David
David ------------------------------------------
JawjaBoy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby billnut » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:38 pm

:D Simi Valley here David your welcom to stop by and look at,in,around my Tiny TV anytime.
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:45 pm

Welcome. I went 5' wide and it, in my opinion, is the way to go if you have a bed partner.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:51 pm

cwm wrote: Gage, I'm in Santa Barbara. I've been through Palmdale a few times in the last few months. I like it out there.

Aw, I have a sister in Santa Barbara. Lives above the Montecito Country Club. I'm either restoring or building a teardrop for her. She's a school teacher and due to retire next year. Next time your going to be going through Palmdale and think you'll have some extra time on your hands, try and let me know ahead of time and I'll give you my cell number and maybe we can hook up. I get into Santa Barbara two or three times a month. Going to Summerland Sunday for Breakfest with the Car Club.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:11 pm

Im in thousand oaks and mine is for sale!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby funomenal » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 am

Hi CWM,

Check out this link that describes the DMV process in Californi for a home built teardrop.

http://td.roughwheelers.com/DMV/index.html
funomenal
Teardrop Advisor

Location: Tracy , California (Home of the World's Longest Lasting Tire Fire!)

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves