Hello from a builder of vardos

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from a builder of vardos

Postby TALEMKE » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:05 pm

I have just completed a new book on how to build a Gypsy Caravan. There are a few pictures in my album. I intend to upload more as time permits. The caravan I have designed and built is intended to be ultralight and low cost. The caravan information can be seen at http://amvardo.com/caravan
This looks like an interesting forum and I hope to be an active partipant. I am very interested in the minimalist technology and design represented by teardrops, vardos etc. :D
TALEMKE
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from a builder of vardos

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:18 pm

TALEMKE wrote:I have just completed a new book on how to build a Gypsy Caravan. There are a few pictures in my album. I intend to upload more as time permits. The caravan I have designed and built is intended to be ultralight and low cost. The caravan information can be seen at http://amvardo.com/caravan
This looks like an interesting forum and I hope to be an active partipant. I am very interested in the minimalist technology and design represented by teardrops, vardos etc. :D

Hello Timothy,

Welcome to the forum. Your Vardo is a lightweight for sure, is that 275# not including the trailer? Also that is an intresting study in tarpology as a trailer roof too. You might want to look into the site a little farther and you will find the place to sell stuff. This ain't it.

I've been thinking about the Vardo idea a little myself, but not at the level where you are. This is more like what I had in mind.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby funomenal » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:42 pm

Very old school!!! Just like a Conestoga Wagon from the 1800's.
funomenal
Teardrop Advisor

Location: Tracy , California (Home of the World's Longest Lasting Tire Fire!)

Postby Ira » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:36 am

Hi, Timothy.

COOL STUFF!

Are these similar to the wagons that they use in Ireland? Also, what material DID you use for the roof skin?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby TALEMKE » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:49 pm

Ira, this caravan is based on an English design, which is probably used by the Irish Tavellers. I have used several materials for the top. The material I used for the latest caravan design, like in the pictures is a 10mil polyethylene tarp that I bought a Lowes. I wanted the lightest and lowest cost material I could find. The orignial caravan that I built used a polyester canvas material tlike that used for awnings and boat covers etc. I have five years and several thousand miles on the polyester material and it still looks great. It is stored outside under some trees. I have something under a thousand miles on the poly tarp, but it shows no sign of wear. The top can be stretched fairly tight during construction and is well supported so it doesn't flap in the wind. A couple of days in the sun seems to shrink it a bit for a tight fit. The soft covers seem to be very practical.
I do have some concern about UV exposure of the poly tarp in tropical environments, but this heavy duty cover should last several years even under pretty severe sunlight. In any case, they should be pretty easy to replace. I am looking forward to trying out some other materials as well - such a Tyvek. That would be extremely light weight and permeable to water vapor.

I would like to have a beautiful caravan like the one shown in the picture. That is a magnificent one. It wouldn't take a whole lot other than time and talent to closely reproduce one like this. The basic construction is similar. I have seen caravans with simple stencilling that look pretty good. My initial goal, has been to provide something basic. SOmepeople are good at the paintings, others make the canvas. I am afraid I am a canvas-maker.
TALEMKE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Outlaw » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:39 pm

I agree, cool stuff! I've never seen anything like that before. Welcome to the site :thumbsup:
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Podunkfla » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:27 pm

Well Timothy... Sorry to be so blunt to a new poster here. That vardo looks pretty basic to me. And, there is sure nothing aerodynamic about that old world design in this age of high dollar gas? Prolly some better pix of a completed one could help. I wish you success selling your plans... but somehow I don't think it "fills a need" that I know about in the camping world? I could be wrong... Best of luck with it. :o
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Laredo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Steve,
that looks like a finished and painted version of the vardo proposed in the plans and book.

Is that roof sailcloth?

Angib, help -- do the Roma still use painted sailcloth wagon covers in Yurp?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby TALEMKE » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks for you honest assessment. One of the reasons I wanted to post here was to get pepole's reactions to the design, particulalry people who have some expertise in this esoteric area. The design is very basic , and that is the point. It is very simple and easy to build.With respect to the aerodynamics, it does have a flat frontal area. Much of this is shielded by the vehicle in the front. Although it seems to have some effect on gs mileage , it is not major. I tow mine with a Kia sprotage, a vehicle not known for its power or gas mileage, and am able to tow comfortably (in North Carolina where it is legal) at 70mph on the flat and and 60 -65 on moderate hills. I think the low weight offsets some of the aerodynamic limitations.

I honestly don't know exactly what niche this little guy might fill, if any, but people seem to really just like to looks of it. I have had lines of people wanting to look at it at several campgrounds. Who knows whether that translates inot any real interest. You would be surprised at the number of people who have owning a Gypsy Vardo as a real fantasy. Thanks again. Tim
TALEMKE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TALEMKE » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Laredo, the caravan on the photos is the same one on the book. As I mentioned in the post above the top on this one is 10mil UV stabilized PE. It is very low cost. I have used a polyester canvas material for an earlier model which worked well but is somewhat more costly.

The Gypsies used green canvas for their caravans, in England at least.

Thanks for the interest
TALEMKE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby type82e » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:14 am

heres a good website on gypsy caravans great pictures http://community.webshots.com/album/500845746Yvawzb

btw I'm building one very similar to the one in the post for my kids
I'm using a wooden frame and corrugated metal roofing for the top
its not going to be taken on the road
marcel
type82e
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ira » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:16 am

Putting the gas mileage aside, as long as they tow well, I think these are great. It appears to be real spacious, and they're beautiful and interesting.

Now, let's talk getting an AC in there!

Seriously, stick with it. I wouldn't be surprised to see these catch on.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:38 am

Since the top is fabric, is there any reason why the front couldn't be made more like an Airstream or Avion?

My buddies 28' heavy Avion, pulls easier than my 22' Coachmen. I think the round is the secret.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Outlaw » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:10 am

Perhaps pulling it backwards with the back being more aerodynamic. Just think, you could put a dummy on the back (front) porch and strap him to a chair. Motorists definately wouldn't know what to think.
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Dee Bee » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm

I have liked the design of the vardo for some time. I think the style you have here is called a bow top. It is connected to the Irish Travellers as well as to the Roma of Europe. Some of these people became shepherds in the West and the Western shepherd wagon derived its design from these European forerunners.

I have played with a design of a hard top Vardo
I think it would be hard to haul, but it might make a nice tiny cabin....

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves