Hello from Central California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Central California

Postby mtnair » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:28 am

I've been a lurker off and on for over a year. We live in the mountains, about an hour from the south entrance to Yosemite National Park. We own a 27' fifth-wheel, but sold the truck that pulled it, and now are trying to sell the RV.

We also own a 13' travel trailer, that we've used for the past two years, it is an early 60's vintage. I am not happy with the floor plan, nor with the lack of a heater and it seems to heavy for our F150 to pull. So, we keep coming back to a teardrop. From what I've read it less expensive to weld up a trailer then purchase it? My husband has a machine shop, knows how to weld and has the proper equipment. What axle is recommended? A dexter? How about an axle from an automobile? I did see a thread about that.

Thanks,

Candi
mtnair
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:11 am

:o Well Candi,
You've been here longer than I but welcome to the light anyway. :)
There is a new menu item on the top of the page Steve T put up. It is an index of items you might need.

I would look for axles there.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=12276

Teardrops seem to be the best of both worlds.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:15 am

Candi, What a wonderful area to live in too bad you can't camp as often as you like in Yosemite giving the restrictions there. Last year our alternator was going out at Wawona so we decided to drive to Oakhurst for a replacement. About 1/2 of the way there the alternator gave out and we were running on battery only. It was very nerve racking since the Blazers systems started shutting down and I had hardly any brakes and steering. I was cramming the brake pedal to the floor and as you know it's almost all down hill. We got it stopped just before Oakhurst where the road goes up hill a little. We had a tow company get us charged up for the trip to Kragens Auto parts. I'll have to say the tow company in those yellow tow trucks are really swell. The older guy stayed with us all the way to the parts store, gave me an old wrench and even gave me some help. His partner stayed there waiting for his wife that was grocery shopping and even gave assistance after the first & second alternator didn't fit. We got the super heavy duty one ( it fit of cour$e) and we were on our way back to Yosemite. Glad to see you have come out of the lurking. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mtnair » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome

Miriam: I did find that section, but there is not alot of information for using an auto axle. We just thought it would be quicker to go to Pick a part and get an axle. I am beginning to think that I should order an axle.

Danny: Yosemite is beautiful, we live under 20 miles from Oakhurst. We like to camp near Mamouth Pools, and go there about every three weeks during the summer. The trout fishing in the streams near there is wonderful and the scenery is breathtaking. Our last trip was to San Simeon Beach in October. Speaking of beautiful areas, we visited Washington for the first time in June. Some friends moved to Cameno Island, Washington.

Candi
mtnair
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 pm

Candi, welcome to the light from an envious person(I.E. your location)....unless you have the time/expertise/tools, to modify an auto axle, then a bought axle is the way to go.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mtnair » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:09 pm

madjack: I've posted a question on the chasis section, could you look at it?

Danny: I looked at your album, what heater do you use?

Candi
mtnair
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:02 pm

mtnair wrote:Thanks for the welcome

Danny: Yosemite is beautiful, we live under 20 miles from Oakhurst. We like to camp near Mamouth Pools, and go there about every three weeks during the summer. The trout fishing in the streams near there is wonderful and the scenery is breathtaking. Our last trip was to San Simeon Beach in October. Speaking of beautiful areas, we visited Washington for the first time in June. Some friends moved to Cameno Island, Washington.

Candi

Danny: I looked at your album, what heater do you use?

Candi, Yes Washington is beautiful and I've been to Camano Island, very nice. Next time take the ferry from Tacoma to Anderson Island too. I've been to San Simeon Beach before but don't remember that you could camp there. I wouldn't mind camping up by the castle though. We will have to take another hwy 1 trip now that we have the tear, wouldn't want to take anything larger on it. One place in your area that I've never been to and I'm planning it soon is June Lake. I understand it is almost as nice as Yosemite. We would love to retire in your area but we would need to sell everything to afford a California house that is not in a tract where houses are crammed together. My heater is a heated foot rest that draws 90 watts and is silent and no exposed wires. Surface temperature is 140 degrees. It's only for when we are on 12 volt and it makes the inverter fan run all night. It raises the inside temp about 10-15 degrees just enough to take off the chill. :) I need to get back to work so I'll find a heater link for you later. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mtnair » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:20 pm

Danny:

There is a state campground at San Simeon, no hookups. It's in between Cambria and the Castle. Right by highway 1, you walk under it to get the beach.

What Dexter trailer did you use? You built the same size trailer we want to build.

We decided to simplify our lives. We payed cash for a used mobile home and moved it into a park here in the mountains. Space rent is 225 per mo. My husband is semi-retired (he works when he wants, part-time at his machine shop), and I work less then part-time at my business. Which is nice being in our mid to late 40's. We love the freedom to be able to pick up and leave when we want.

Candi
mtnair
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:49 pm

mtnair wrote:Danny:

There is a state campground at San Simeon, no hookups. It's in between Cambria and the Castle. Right by highway 1, you walk under it to get the beach.

What Dexter trailer did you use? You built the same size trailer we want to build.

We decided to simplify our lives. We payed cash for a used mobile home and moved it into a park here in the mountains. Space rent is 225 per mo. My husband is semi-retired (he works when he wants, part-time at his machine shop), and I work less then part-time at my business. Which is nice being in our mid to late 40's. We love the freedom to be able to pick up and leave when we want.

Candi

Candi, that's good to know. All I remember is a general store and the docks that Hurst had built. My Dexter Torsion axle is 61" between trailing arms with a 10% drop I believe. Grant Whipp can make you a chassis if you don't want to hassle with building one, he is in Redding. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves