Hi from england

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from england

Postby siwillems » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:02 am

I just wanted to say to everyone and a big thanks to all who have gave me so much insiration as to what is achievable with a coule of 4 * 8 sheets of plywood.

I will probably be starting my first trailer in the spring, im hoping to have a simle build with no rear hatch that i could have fininshed inside a couple of weeks, then claire (my wife) and i can go on a tour thru france.

bye for now
Simon
siwillems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:44 am

I built mine with no hatch, then added it the following year... If you think you might want one, build the room for it in now. I did a quick build and it was a bit of work to add it later..

you can live without it, but it is a handy place to store all cooking stuff and food, and keep it out of the tow vehicle. We keep the stove, microwave, utensils, plates, glasses, food, and much more there.... and it is also a food preparation area...

I would not dismiss having a galley so quickly.. my reason to wait was I only had 5 weeks to build it the first time (had a trip long planned with a set departure date, and then found out about tear drop trailers).
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby siwillems » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:41 pm

my thoughts are that instead of having a galley, i would utile the space to make a storage area accesable thru doors on the side instead of a lift up hatch, inside of there would be a camping table and portable stove which i would be able to pop out whenever needed.....but to be honest whilst my requirments stay the same the plan changes almost daily usualy after reading other posts :?
siwillems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:27 pm

Could work, just be sure your changes are on paper/g/.... much harder with wood....

Hatches do not have to be as difficult as all these guys make out.. Steve Fredericks system is pretty basic, and works very well... I used it in mine with no springback and nary a drop of water...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:59 am

Welcome Simon,
You are not alone if you change your plans a bunch of times. It means you are creative. 8)

The hatch can be framed in and cut away later if you decide you want one.

Have fun and remember to take lots of pictures, especially of your tour.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mr Tim » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi and welcome siwillems I too am in england , have not started building yet but am doing lots of paper ruining. Still,like they say it is easier to alter your plans on paper than in wood.
Whereabouts in UK are you?
Cheers
Tim
Wear a smile and have freinds, wear a frown and have wrinkles!
Mr Tim
Teardrop Inspector

Postby siwillems » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:56 pm

I live in derby, i've been wondering for quite awhile how many teardrop builders there could be in the uk, I saw a couple of factory made teardrops camping last year, but never seen a home built one.
siwillems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby siwillems » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:57 pm

I realy cant wait to have somthing built, the thought of having a real head turner is just to appealing!!!
siwillems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lanego » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:22 am

Hey, Simon,:coffee:

Andrew (angib) is in England. He does the most amazing plans. See some of his teardrop plans at: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
He and many others here can help you so much. I've learned reams of information and I have only bought my parts and supplies so far. I revised a mini-tear plan of Andrew's to suit my needs (must have galley!) and am ever so grateful for the advice. I learned how to install my electricity, which I thought I'd have to do without, here in Electrical Secrets. Everybody makes everything so clear, it's easy to plan for more than you thought you'd do. I also ordered Steve's CD for teardrop building, an excellent investment; he covers everything about your build. :hammer: Find that here: http://www.steve-frederick.com/shopman05

Lane in Round Rock :pinktear:
lanego
Teardrop Master

Hi Si

Postby jyb-tr20 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi Si
Great to see some more folk from the UK. I'm right in the middle of my build, busy putting in the spars and skinning the inside headlining. As a clue I started on Bank holiday Monday in August. A miserable thing called work has all too often got in the way!
Like u I was mad keen to get started so I started with the Benroy plans from this site. It's a good place to start.
I must admit tho' to build without a galley seems to me to ignore one of the greatest features of the Teardrop Trailer.... something that is very rare here in the UK.
Anyhow, best of luck and remember there is plenty of help and encouragement here on the site from our 'American cousins'.
:applause:
cheers
jyb
This time next year I'll know everything!
jyb-tr20
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi Simon, welcome to the frivolity of TD building :shock:
If you check my album you'll see that No1 does not have a galley.
I've almost completed No2 (Yeah, I know Miriam, pics, we luv da pics :lol: ) and that will definitely have a galley.
Make provision for it now and it will save heaps of time later.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves