Time to introduce myself

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Time to introduce myself

Postby Michaelwlf3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:52 am

I have been lurking here for sometime and finally signed up so I could look through the photo albums.

I have gotten loads of ideas from you guys. I have been trying to come up with a practical idea for a bicycle tear and I think I have enough information to mock one up shortly and get an idea of how much it will weigh.

Thanks for the forums - the info here is priceless.
Michaelwlf3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:35 am

Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your design.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Michaelwlf3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:58 am

Thanks. I am torn between a small trailer with a fold out sleeping arrangement and about a 3/4 size Benroy type trailer based on the [url="http://www.carryfreedom.com/bamboo.html"]bamboo trailer[/url]type frame with coroplast sides and top.

Years ago there used to be hardsided bicycle trailers made for carrying lots of gear, but they have the same problems even a 3/4 size tear would have, like getting around corners, getting through intersections, braking, and stuff like that. I have heard of people lugging around incredibly heavy and large trailers, but you know you're not going to break any speed records with a rig like that, and if it's windy you might as well stay in camp.

I have seen something similar to what I was thinking about on this forum except it was a motorcycle trailer. We'll see.

By the way, I have enjoyed your articles and posts.
Michaelwlf3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:31 am

Where is home?

Design requirements are a bit (or more) from region to region.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Michaelwlf3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:40 am

North Carolina. Your frameless tear design was very inspiring, by the way. Sooner or later I am going to get around to building a behind the car teardrop, but I am sticking my toe in the water for now.
Last edited by Michaelwlf3 on Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelwlf3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:44 am

Thank you.

Probably good advice to spend a good bit of time thinking things through. You are doing fine.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Michaelwlf3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:01 am

dwgriff1 wrote:Thank you.

Probably good advice to spend a good bit of time thinking things through. You are doing fine.

dave

I don't know if everybody goes through this but I am at the stage where I am wondering if I should invest in welding and brazing equipment, special tools, etc.

All the more reason to take a breath and think.
Michaelwlf3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:02 pm

Michaelwlf3 wrote:I have heard of people lugging around incredibly heavy and large trailers, but you know you're not going to break any speed records with a rig like that, and if it's windy you might as well stay in camp.

I think the trick with a bicycle trailer is to work out how to get rid of frontal area when you are on the move. Going back to bicycling in my fifties has taught me that it's not hills to fear, but headwinds - it's hard to believe aero drag can be so important at so low a speed (and, believe me, I travel at low speeds - no lycra shorts here!).

So my plan (posted here before) is to have a lifting top that sits low in transit (blue), is raised somewhat to sleep (red) and is raised a lot to get in and out, or dress (green). The similarity of this design to a coffin (US, =casket?) is not entirely coincidental, since the space requirement is largely similar!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Michaelwlf3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:49 pm

How did I miss this before?

I did see that square telescoping coffin thing that somebody made up, though.

Are you planning on making this out of fiberglass?
Michaelwlf3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:17 pm

Hiya Micheal...our "bedroll" weighs in around 150#s...and has little or no front drag.......

oh yeah...welcome to the board...building a tear or related project is an excellent excuse to buy/aquire tools but you really don't need the welder/fire wrench...ask yourself what else are you going to use them for...you may be better off renting or finding some friend that all ready has them...as is often said to new members..."patience grashoppah, you are on teardrop time now" :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:56 pm

Michaelwlf3 wrote: I am wondering if I should invest in welding and brazing equipment, special tools, etc..

If you need an excuse to convince your mother in law that you reallly NEED a new batch of gear, this is the time. Probably you could have it done for less, but when has that ever been the reason to buy tools?

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:59 pm

MadJack,

That is a nice little trailer. Is it designed to pull behind a Motorcycle or a small car? Do I guess that the sides are canvas?

Andrew

Wouldn't it be possible to make a light trailer like that with fold up hard sides?

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Michaelwlf3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:13 pm

madjack wrote:Hiya Micheal...our "bedroll" weighs in around 150#s...and has little or no front drag.......

oh yeah...welcome to the board...building a tear or related project is an excellent excuse to buy/aquire tools but you really don't need the welder/fire wrench...ask yourself what else are you going to use them for...you may be better off renting or finding some friend that all ready has them...as is often said to new members..."patience grashoppah, you are on teardrop time now" :D ;)
madjack 8)

That's pretty slick. Do you really drag that behind a bike?

As far as the tools go, I would really like to build a general use trailer, too. I am not a pickup or van kind of guy and I could use a small trailer for hauling (say) tree limbs to the dump and other chores. Then there's the bike trailer, and eventually a full size tear, once I have made my other mistakes.

But you're right - I want to guard against buying single use tools. I have done that before.
Michaelwlf3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jst83 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:08 pm

madjack wrote:Hiya Micheal...our "bedroll" weighs in around 150#s...and has little or no front drag.......

madjack 8)

That is really neat. Makes me want my bike back.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:36 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to make a light trailer like that with fold up hard sides?

Yes, but:
- you'd have to give up the curved sides and corners;
- fold-up hard sides is easy - fold-up hard sides with watertight joints is not easy!

I appreciate that madjack reckons the Bedroll has 'little or no front drag' but that's in motorcycle terms - in bike terms, even that 'no drag' is a lot! A cyclist travelling at touring, not racing, speeds is using around 60-80W or 0.08-0.11hp. I would expect just the rolling resistance of the Bedroll, without any aero drag, to be about 50W (0.07hp) at 10mph.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves