Hello from Middle Tennessee

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Middle Tennessee

Postby sems » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi all:

I've enjoyed reading a bit on this forum. My husband and I have been long time campers mostly in tents and out of the back of our Toyota Tacoma. He's a nature photographer, and I'm a historian and writer who likes to work out of doors, and we have a 6-year-old boxer who loves to hike. Every summer we head out for fun places where we can all pursue our interests. But the whole tent/truck thing is getting old so I've been looking for alternatives.

I've had a long running interest in teardrops--how can a historian not love a little retro house on wheels 8) ??? but I don't have the skills to build one. So I was looking at lightweight folding campers, instead, with much resistance from DH who claimed he didn't want to pull anything behind the truck.

Then he says to me the other night, "What if I built an 8' Cubby?" :o He does have the skills, lots of 'em. So, to make this long story short, I've been scouring the internet for more info and found this discussion.

Looking forward to talking more with folks about the details. (Sorry the first post is so long.)
Susan, David, Buster Brown the hiking fiend, & his sidekick, Happy Gilmore
2007 Pleasant Valley Teardrop
sems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Geron » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi Susan David and Buster,

Welcome to the forum. You've found a wonderful place to find info to possibly pursue your "dream."

I build the 8' Chubby and it was really a joy. YOU DO have the skills, it can be done.

Beginning advice. I finally sold the Chubby because it was only 48" wide. Not nearly enough room for the wife and I to sleep. We both toss and turn and sleep with the knee up position. It was just impossible.

Am building one 60" wide (on the inside) now. This make one major difference. So as you plan, my advice, plan on a 5 footer.

Welcome,

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sems » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:27 pm

Hey Geron:

Thanks for the point about the 5' v. 4' We've already discussed this--it will have to be 5'. Our 65 lb boxer sleeps with us and is a bed hog.

I looked at your pictures and saw that you travel with your pup and drink good coffee. Those are the two most important rules of camping for me. The dog always goes along and no matter where or how we go, there must be good coffee. I make mine multiple ways, but one of my favorites is the Italian espresso or moka pot.
sems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:50 pm

Welcome to the playground Susan and David,
If you don't find what you need here just ask. Skillls are something you gain as you go along. :thumbsup: Most people would be amazed at how much of what they do in daily life lends itself to building at least some of a teardrop.

Enjoy and :pictures: Share or the... 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Geron » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:20 pm

sems wrote:Hey Geron:

Thanks for the point about the 5' v. 4' We've already discussed this--it will have to be 5'. Our 65 lb boxer sleeps with us and is a bed hog.

I looked at your pictures and saw that you travel with your pup and drink good coffee. Those are the two most important rules of camping for me. The dog always goes along and no matter where or how we go, there must be good coffee. I make mine multiple ways, but one of my favorites is the Italian espresso or moka pot.

You gotta try Alan Adler's Aeropress

It holds the record for the longest thread on the CoffeeGeek forum.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee ... ead#Unread

Most over there really like it. They know far more than I do about coffee. I've been using one for several months now. I just know it makes a good cup. The Aeropress is so easy I just gave up on my moka pot. Cleanup is literally a "snap."

Oh yeah, Penny!!! 65 pound sweetheart. She'll have her own bed in the TD. She's an All American -- Cross between a Collie and a Belgian Malinois -- I think :thinking:

Geron
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sems » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:45 pm

Geron:

I have tried the aeropress and I love it. :thumbsup: I have an actually have an embarrassing number of ways to make coffee in my house, including 2 french presses and 2 cone filters. All I need yet is a handmill for grinding coffee when we are off the power grid and I'll be set!
sems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Geron » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:47 pm

sems wrote:Geron:

I have tried the aeropress and I love it. :thumbsup: I have an actually have an embarrassing number of ways to make coffee in my house, including 2 french presses and 2 cone filters. All I need yet is a handmill for grinding coffee when we are off the power grid and I'll be set!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just bought a hand mill -- Just in case :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geron
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves