Another "Hello" from Kansas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Another "Hello" from Kansas

Postby Keith B » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Hello, my name is Keith, Wichita, KS... can't wait to use my Jeep CJ7 to tow a nice teardrop that I've started. Granted, I have a LOT to learn and I've put a few post regarding "construction and tips" and "electrical"... so far I've had some good responses. I'd love to make Nebraska in June if I can get it done in time and have something that's worth presenting. I've already been told I might OVERBUILD, which I've been told my whole life.. I plan on shedding some pounds fast as the Jeep can't handle that much weight. So far I have the framing of the walls built, so it's all down hill from there right :)).
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 pm

Keith...I didn't start my first tear until Feb. of 05 and I made it to Minden with it...I know you can do it also...there's lots of ways to cut weight, just think light...but most importantly have fun with the build. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:39 pm

Welcome to the forum Kieth. You can have it done. I started mine the first week of January and finished it the second week of June. Like it has been said don't overbuild it. It just adds weight. Have fun with your build and take lot's of pic's. We have a pic problem around here. We just can't get enough.
My CJ has no problem pulling mine. But I do have a 304 in it.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:50 pm

So far I have the framing of the walls built, so it's all down hill from there right ).

Uh nooooooo, its all up from here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Havin some fun. It is a custom. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:23 pm

No problem getting it done. I started mine about Sept 28 05 had it ready to use and on the road by Oct 10 05, slept in it that night. Anything is possible!!!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby exminnesotaboy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 pm

we'd love to see it done for Minden. But if you can't, still make it there and stay in the hotel or a tent - you will learn so many ideas and meet a bunch of good people.

Welcome from another Jeep-and-Tear owner!
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:33 am

Don't listen to those guys. It took me around 18months to call it finished (although they aren't really ever finished). I went to 3 campouts before it was finished. I missed the last meet at Minden I'll be there this time. I just have to get my stuff filled out and sent in.

Even if you aren't finished, just get it campable. When you make it to the campout, you can check out everybody else's trailers and learn from their mistakes before you get to that part of your build.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:44 am

Welcome to the forum Keith. You can get it done in time for Mendin. I started the WW in Jan and took the maiden voyage in early May. Hope to see you there or at one of the Southcentral gatherings. One coming up in late March at Beaver's Bend.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:14 am

Welcome Keith!!!! The South Central group would love to have you come for a visit to Beavers Bend in far s.e. Oklahoma or to any campout at all! Whether you are done or not, this is a very encouraging group!
The forum here will give you help and encouragement from around the globe --- really !

I started mine in Mar 06 and was "campable" by late Oct 06 and went on a 600 mile trip to the LCG gathering and the box towed and camped like a dream! Now, it's in the "Jewel" finishing stage ...

Hope you like it here!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Keith B » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:18 pm

Thanks everyone. My plan is to put some wire and insulation in the walls this weekend, get the interior skin on, floor built and walls "stood"... then I'll know what needs to be done for the frame - cabinets, etc. I'm guessing the frame will take me some time.. I can weld, I'm not afraid of that, I'm afraid of keeping it level and ordering and installing the axle, etc... of couse, I'll have to have an axle built since it will be kind of a custom size, but my hope is a 5' trailer axle from the shop will probably fit. I read the tutorial... that is GREAT stuff.. I think I have the skill, just not the knowledge... :lol:
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves