Hello All

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello All

Postby keef » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Howdy,

I've been doing a little bit of lurking but wanted to access all the personal albums and see more fantastic photos of projects so no need to twist my arm for registering to this great forum.

I have enjoyed camping a lot thru the years. Some of my earliest memories are of my family (of four) camping out of a Buick station wagon. We soon graduated to pulling a tiny Playmore trailer behind the wagon. Thru the years the wagons and the trailers gradually got larger but I usually just slept in a tent or in the back of the station wagon (I'm sure my parents didn't mind the extra privacy).

After high school I worked in the oil field and there was a severe housing shortage and lived in an a small Avion for a couple of years. Still have that trailer in storage but in needs a lot of work. Thinking about dragging in out to some land in the country with my tired out 1/2 Dodge.

I'll keep the Dodge for a little while longer but have recently acquired a welled cared for '98 Toyota Rav4. The Toy did great this winter on ice and in the snow and does much better at the gas pump than the Dodge.

Although I am barely middle-aged I find myself forced into an early medical retirement on a small pension. I'm beginning to simplify my life and the Toyota is part of that plan. I want to be able to camp out and travel comfortably on my fixed income. I recently went camping in a fine tent I have but find I'm getting to old for it. (Did I mention comfort?)

This brings me to the teardrops. I always thought they were neat but after looking at some new Little Guy TD's this last weekend I've been burning up the internet looking at teardrops of all shapes and sizes.

I'm wanting to build something very light to keep the little 4 cyl. in the Rav4 happy. Also, I've always believed in keeping things simple. Of course cost is the also a factor. I hope to save enough money and weight over a commercially built unit to make it worth my while.

I like the "frame-less" design of Mikeschn's Ultra-Light (the version with A-frame tongue). I also like (and learned many lessons) from the build up of the Cowper by Steve Wolverton.

I'll sign off for now but I want to give thanks to everyone in this community who have shared their triumphs as well as lessons learned along...

...the Trail of Teardrops.

Sincerely,
keef
keef
Teardrop Inspector

Postby exminnesotaboy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:29 pm

welcome! where in Missouri are you?
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:31 pm

Welcome.

I wanted to stay light, too. I bought a Little Guy Cargo, which is unfinished inside, and finished it myself. I'm at around 850 pounds now.

That's one option.

There are some really great substrates available now that are very rigid and very light. At some point, I will build a TD, and I want to go as high-tech and lightweight as possible, just to SEE what IS possible.

Good luck on your quest.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:54 pm

Welcome not only to the teardrop world but our cozy South Central group! I am towing with a 4 cyl Honda Accord, don't know the weight of mine but it was guessed to be around 850 or so.

We have some good campouts around the OK/TX/LA/MO/KS area and would love to have another convert - td or not !

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Welcome to the playground Keef. 8) As Julie said we have a fairly large group in the 4i-State area and even better when the South Central is added together.

If ya been lurkin then you know Madjacks favorite word, right. :pictures: 8) Have you seen Roly's stacker? If you really want single and light that is the way to go. :thumbsup: Otherwise we are still waiting to see the Ultra light built. :applause:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Hello and Welcome!!!

You have found a great bunch of folks here!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck on your build, we are here is ya have questions and remember to keep us posted on your build!!

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby neal b » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:15 am

hello from one missouri guy to another i live in rosebud welcome to the forum you will enjoy the teardrop way of camping if you build one dont forget to take alot of :pictures: for auntie m

neal :thumbsup:
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:27 am

welcome keef,
this is a great site, there should be all the information you will need to build a light tear. Hope to see you around the camp fire.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves