Hello from Missouri

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Missouri

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:43 am

Hello All,

I'm new here and new to Teardrop Campers. Trying to decide whether to purchase one or not. Currently have a Coleman Westlake Pop-up. Considering adding a teardrop for cross-country treks and last minute weekend get-aways. Most of my trips involve bicycling established trails and historical routes. I think I would like to eliminate/shorten campsite setup.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:08 am

Kankujoe:

Your details of intended use can help us flesh out some answers for you.

Let us know some more data, if you please?
Some questions to start with....

What are you looking for in width 4 or 5 foot & length?

Would you be one or two people sleeping inside?

Would you like a hauler type where bikes could be inside or would you be
carrying the bikes outside on racks, and want only inside traditional bed
type Teardrop construction? Traditional galley or not needed?

Are you thinking fiberglass, wood or metal skin for your Teardrop?
Would you need fan ventilation (yes-no) , A/C or both?

Electrical considerations ... AC and or DC?

What part of the country would you be wanting to get your trailer?

What is your Tow Rig? & will you need breaks on the trailer?
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:10 am

hello K-Joe...welcome to our little band of mad hatte....er builders...a good place to start is by clicking the "Hall of Fame" link on top left of the page...also checking out the other links at the top of the page, especially sdtripper2's index, the design libray and the generic benroy plans...don't forget that we luv da pics around here and they are what we charge for all the info you can stand(and then some)....have fun.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:24 am

Hello sdtripper2,

I am not sure of everything that I would like in a TD but here is my short-list.

1. 5 to 6 foot width; height & length (I'm 5'8' tall & wife is 5'5" so length no really an issue...
2. sleeps 2 adults (or 2 adults & a couple of young grandkids)
3. off-road suspension preferred... if possible/practical (not super rugged terrain but some firetrails, forrest, desert & country roads)
4. basic galley prefered but not absolutely necessary (no need for anything fancy (still have my Coleman Westlake for more traditional camping)
5. electric AC/DC (basic for lights, fan, plug in for laptop computer and radio)
6. my tow vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.7L (so I could tow a house if needed)
7. bikes are hauled on Jeep
8. price - not sure yet... still researching needs/wants
9. not sure if I need brakes (my Jeep is already set up with brake controller though)
10. I am open to purchase/obtain a TearDrop in any part of the country. I love road trips...
11. I would like to see different options before deciding (have looked online at Lil Guy & Cozy Cruiser so far)
12. I think I would prefer the outside shell to be fiberglass (or plywood overlayed with fiberglass which I believe to be more scratch & ding forgiving than aluminum...

One of my main concerns is that on some of my journeys I can't always find a campground on my route... so I occasionally just stop at a rest stop to catch a few zzz's in route... I'm also retired military so sometimes I will overnight on a military base or installation...

I have pulled my Coleman popup coast to coast but would prefer to pull something lighter (to save on gas) and something already setup (for the occasional rest stop or Wally World snooze).

Thanks for the help!!
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:03 am

Welcome Joesph
Glad to see more Missourian in the forum. We live in Rayville NorthEast of KC. Hope to see you at some of the gatherings. That is the best way to figure out what you want to build is go to a gathering and look at what others have built. We're starting to get more Teardropers around the MO/KS border area and hopefully we'll get to geather some time this summer.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Re: Hello from Missouri

Postby campman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:16 am

Hello All,

I'm new here and new to Teardrop Campers. Trying to decide whether to purchase one or not. Currently have a Coleman Westlake Pop-up. Considering adding a teardrop for cross-country treks and last minute weekend get-aways. Most of my trips involve bicycling established trails and historical routes. I think I would like to eliminate/shorten campsite setup.

Hello Kankujoe, If you would like to see the Yoder Toter line of teardrops,
We have 6 in stock at our dealership near Warrensburg MO.

http://www.missouriteardrops.com
campman
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves