Hello!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello!

Postby Airspeed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi all, I just found this site after deciding to start a project thats been on my mind for mare than twenty years.
I live in North California and love to camp with my wife of 25 years and my three daughters ages, 18, 20, 24.
I think I'm 44,but cant be sure. anyway I drew up some plans years ago and havent had time to build this thing until now, I retired a few years ago and have nothing but time so here I go.
The tear I want to build will have a body 10 feet long and 6 feet wide but I want to enclose the tires instead of having fenders sticking out.I am wondering why I havent seen a tear drop with this type of arrangement ? Is it just a question of looks or is there a legal issue?
I have a shop full of tools including: 2 tablesaws,radial armsaw,drillpress,bandsaw,6X48 belt/disc sander,MIG welder etc.etc so I have all that covered.
Well I hope I can share my knowledge of woodworking and your knowledge of teardrops and be a benifit to this forum! Thanks ! Aaron http://groups.msn.com/aaronsspeakers/shoebox.msnw
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum.

My Baja Benroy was 6 x 10 and had enclosed wheels...

Check out some pics here...

http://www.mikenchell.com/Baja_Benroy_P ... ndex6.html

also check out the MikenChellInn which I've been playing with...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... n&start=30

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

more pics

Postby Airspeed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Here are the drawings I amde years ago, I am trying to match the profile of the truck I will tow it with,my 69 Chevy C-10,
Aaron

Airspeed
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Welcome Aaron, if you keep on looking you will find many with enclosed wheels, almost all the 6' wide types have enclosed wheels and a lot of the 5'ers built on 4' frames have enclosed or semi-enclosed wheel wells...as long as you are under 96"s wide (102" on most Federal hiways)there are no legal hassles involved...anything over 80"s have some additional lights needed to be legal...keep us supplied with pictures(we luv 'em ya know) and we will keep ya supplied with answers...most of them correct :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Rear View

Postby Airspeed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Here is a drawing of the rear. The red drawing was done on Google sketch up,it was my first try at computer modeling and I will be finishing the plans this evening and start construction tomorrow
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:04 pm

...one thing you may find, is that space used for a front window may be better utilized by a larger door............ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Thanks Guys!

Postby Airspeed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:10 pm

I cant tell you how excited I am to finally get started on this project,it's well overdue. My familly and I have been camping in our old Aristocrat self contained trailer and I have finally convinced my wife we can live without the inside bathroom,shower and all that stuff. with the smaller trailer we will be able to travel further and camp longer than towing that big old beast around!
I usually build custom loudspeakers so I have lots of experiance with curves, if you look at this site you can see some of my work, http://groups.msn.com/aaronsspeakers/shoebox.msnw
Thanks for the friendly greeting! Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:22 pm

ImageTo the playground Aaron. We just love woodworkers around here so jump right in. :thumbsup:

The other thing we just love is da pic :pictures: so dig out the camera and document away.

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Welcome to the board, Aaron.
What part of North California are you from, there's several of us up here in the extreme north.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Airspeed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:15 pm

FallRiverMills,it's about 70 miles east of Redding, between Mt.Shasta and Mt.Lassen Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:21 pm

Airspeed wrote:FallRiverMills,it's about 70 miles east of Redding, between Mt.Shasta and Mt.Lassen Aaron

Ok, COOL. You gotta make plans to attend this gathering the first of May.
There will be plenty of tears to check out for ideas, and you'also get a chance to meet quite a few of us nuts on this board. It's held right in your back yard. Antlers RV park, 25 miles north of Redding.
http://www.teardrops.net/14thDG.html
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Airspeed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:43 pm

If all works out well I should have it built by then,I'll see what I can do to make it over, I am really suprized how many people are into these,I very rarely ever see one on the street. Thanks, Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 am

Welcome Aaron,
That's the same size as my floorplan. I went with the enclosed wheels, or at least they will be when I'm done.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:31 am

Welcome to the forum. I want to be the first to say, those are some awesome looking speakers. Looks like a lot of sanding! :shock:

If you can build those, a teardrop should be no problem.

Don't mean to hijack but:
I have a question for you. What is that cylinder behind the midrange sub enclosure?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Airspeed » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks alot! Yes there is alot of sanding involved,it actually takes me longer to paint them than it does to build them.
I'm not sure which speaker you are refering to about the midrange port, if it's the one with the larger chamber, that is kinda like a double reflex chamber for the midrange (it was an experiment). That pair of speakers was crossed to the mid at 100 Hz and the mid sounded a little tinny so I added that chamber to clean it up.It really worked well, The next pair I built I used a larger midrange and avoided the problem.
I have built and sold several pair, it keeps me from going crazy. Thanks again! Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves