Hello everyone! New to the teardrop scene and I'm ecstatic!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello everyone! New to the teardrop scene and I'm ecstatic!

Postby KDOG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Last night I saw a show about RVs' and campers and they showed a few of these teardrops and I INSTANTLY fell in love with them. I MUST get one, build one, and have one! By the way, my name is Kevin, I'm 34 and from Bridgeton, NJ... I just can't wait to get started. I'm considering building one using 6061T6 aluminum for everything, including the frame. Is this practical? I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I'm thinking of using this trailer for the base:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=90154

I'm also thinking of using 1"x 1" tubular steel to make a sub-frame that will bring out the sides even with the wheels so it will be wider than 4ft, and possible extending it forward 6" and out over the rear another foot for a 5x9 footer. I'll have to move the lights, but that shouldn't be terribly difficult. I have some experience building an ultralight airframe as well, which should help me out a bit. Well sorry to bore you all. I'm dying to get started, so any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Welcome KDOG!!!

You found the right place for your your questions.

Other folks here have used that trailer I think. Check out the Generic Benroy plans in the menu at the top of the forum page. This is for a 5x8 and it's what I am building. Also check out the Hall of Fame upper left. You will find a ton of TD's there.

Auntie M will be along to explain the payments required here. :twisted:

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:58 pm

Mary K wrote:Auntie M will be along to explain the payments required here. :twisted: Mk

Just so I don't scare you off..I better explain.. We luv dem pic's. So take lots-o-pic during your build and post them. :thumbsup:

I already have 400+ in my build link. I think I have kept the powers that be happy and appeased :D

MK
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Re: Hello everyone! New to the teardrop scene and I'm ecstat

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:58 pm

KDOG wrote: I'm considering building one using 6061T6 aluminum for everything, including the frame. Is this practical? I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

Practical? Sure, why not. Expensive? Most definitely!!!!
If your pockets are deep enough go for it, it would be interesting to see.

Welcome aboard the good ship lolli...... Have fun!!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby KDOG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Uh-oh. Looks like I'm in trouble now! Payment details? Gulp! Anyway, those Benroy plans look really nice, thanks for the heads up! I probably won't be putting the galley in the rear to maximize interior space. I have a handicapped (autistic) 9 yr old son, so I'm going to concentrate on necessities. I'm going to make a "potty" area to mount one of those standalone "potties" that you find in camping stores/sections of Walmart, etc. with a curtain or even a little door for privacy. I probably won't wire any electrical system into it either, though I do plan to have one of those tiny generators to run anything if I want to. I'm thinking a good power strip that runs to a box that the generator plugs into from the outside, probably underneath but I'm not sure yet. I'm really interested in using the ol' KISS system on this, concentrating on comfort instead of fancy. But of course nothing is set in stone yet, and I'm here to learn!
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi, Kevin. Welcome!

A whole crapload of us here used that HF frame, including me.

My TD is based on The Cubby design, and the Cubby plans specifically call for using that exact folding HF frame. There are some slight modifications you make to it, such as axle placement (not per the HF assembly instructions), and adding a wooden cross beam. You see, you take two of the intended steel cross beams, and instead, insert them into the side rails (the sides) to strengthen them.

Sounds complicated now, but it's not. It's real simple, and if you decide to go this route, we'll walk you through it.

Forget about a porta-potty inside the TD, and you'll learn why the more time you spend here. There are a whole bunch of better options.

If you can go for a few more bucks on the frame, go 5' wide and with 15" wheels. I regret not doing so, but what the hell. But like I said, a ton of us here built ours on that inexpensive HF frame.

Finally, my 15-year-old boy is also autistic--Aspergers Syndrome. So we'll have a LOT to talk about in the future!

Welcome to the madness. Enjoy the ride. You've found the right place.
And don't try to fight the obsession:

From this day forward, your TD will be all you'll think about 24/7. Thankfully, we're all just as nuts as YOU are, so you'll have plenty of people to share your passion with!

Hope you have a patient wife....
Last edited by Ira on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby KDOG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:45 pm

I'd love to find some better options on a trailer. Some links would be appreciated. As far as the porta potty thing, I don't think thats an option for me, unless you can elaborate on the other options. Thanks.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:23 pm

KDOG wrote:I'd love to find some better options on a trailer. Some links would be appreciated. ...........Thanks.

How about RedTrailers. They are alot like the HF, but they have 5' wide.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Mary K » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:31 pm

In the menu with the Benroy Plans, you will find "sdtripper2's Index"
Click on that and you will find lot's-o-info and links to questions that already have a thread.

Also try this link for a porta-privy.
http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outba ... _privy.htm

Mk
Mary K

Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby KDOG » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:39 pm

toypusher wrote:
KDOG wrote:I'd love to find some better options on a trailer. Some links would be appreciated. ...........Thanks.

How about RedTrailers. They are alot like the HF, but they have 5' wide.

Yeah, I saw that one. Theyre in Quakertown PA and I'm in South Jersey so they're close... thanks.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Kevin and son hope you enjoy the best little playground on the net. I hear I get to explain the payment plan. Just a few (more really)ImageCause it keeps the bubble oil full and appeases the MadOnes. That would be MadJack and Mad Aussie (Paul C.) :R Then there is Mary K. :lol:

Bring your sense of humor and jump in.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:03 pm

..ya got a lot of welcomes, so let say just a couple of the most important words you will ever hear around here...patience grasshoppha... :D ...there's several tons of info here...take some time looking around, do a lot of reading, click the the "Hall of Fame" link on the top left of page and the web sites and albums of indiviual members...the research will pay off in the end.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves