Seeking Tips From Those Who Have Cut a New Door in Side

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Seeking Tips From Those Who Have Cut a New Door in Side

Postby vintagetrailergal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:01 am

Hello Everyone:

Does anyone have any tips and experience with cutting out a new door or window in an old teardrop? We decided to keep the existing small door on the passenge side of the teardrop, and add a new door or window on the other side. What do you think would be the best way to approach this? I found a premade door with window included for $400 online...ouch. It's way too claustrophobic as it is now. Suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance...Margaret and Steve ;)

vintagetrailergal
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:49 am

...first question I will ask is...have ya gotta router...the second question is...how thick are the walls and what are they made of and the third question is...what are they skinned with...and the fourth question is............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:13 am

That is the door you are using now? :shock:

Are the side walls just 1/2" or 3/4" plywood? or are they sandwich walls?

If they are just 1 piece of plywood it should be easy enough. but if you are going to be cutting it up I think I would put the same type doors on both sides. you could replace that little door purty easy. Camp-Inn sells a door kit with jamb window and seals. I think I paid around $300 for both doors and windows.

P.S. That is one nice looking tear, I like the color scheme.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Re: Seeking Tips From Those Who Have Cut a New Door in Side

Postby Podunkfla » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:16 pm

vintagetrailergal wrote:Hello Everyone:

Does anyone have any tips and experience with cutting out a new door or window in an old teardrop? We decided to keep the existing small door on the passenge side of the teardrop, and add a new door or window on the other side. What do you think would be the best way to approach this? I found a premade door with window included for $400 online...ouch. It's way too claustrophobic as it is now. Suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance...Margaret and Steve ;)

vintagetrailergal... Looks like you have a vintage jewel there. With somewhat strange little "dog house" door? I'd be tempted to build 2 doors... That isn't much harder than making just one. The Kit style doors would look good on your tear and then you could actually sit up in the doorway. I love the classic fenders! :thumbsup:

Here's sort of a sample from the Hall of Fame files:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:39 pm

It might be easier to cut a hole in the floor and get in and out that way.

HAH!!!!

My guess is that it's framed sandwich wall, and if you're lucky, you'll be able to cut UP, but not add anything to the width. (But the width looks fine anyway.) And remember that the other side may be framed totally differently.

If framed walls, it's time to buy a stud sensor. If solid walls, you'll have no problems at all doing whatever you want.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Gerdo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:51 pm

Even if it is a sanwich wall you can cut clear thru and add blocking to frame out the door opening. The blocking may be able to be nailed/screwed inside and out and touched up or covered with opening trim. Or just slide the blocking inbetween the inside and outside sheeting and "sticking it" with some construction adhesive. Even if nailed/screwed I would also use some construction adhesive. I used PL construction Adhesive, I like it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Without seeing how it's made it is hard to come up with an answer. Maybe the answer is to find a gathering that you can take it to and ask some of the people there. Maybe a few experienced people looking at it might come up with a cost effective and structurally sound solution.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Thanks for Ideas on Cutting Out New Door

Postby vintagetrailergal » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks all for your two (or ten) cents. Looks like we need to do some more research to figure out what we've got here, particularly in regards to the walls. It's a bit different than our past project of replacing framing in our canned ham. This teardrop is quite heavy. The back lid is really heavy with nothing to hold it up. The guy we got it from said it was a bit heavy for his VW van. He took our '48 tent trailer in trade. I would like to know a source for the tent shown in the picture that attaches to the teardrop...what a great idea! Have a great weekend... 8)
vintagetrailergal
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Thanks for Ideas on Cutting Out New Door

Postby Endo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:13 pm

vintagetrailergal wrote: I would like to know a source for the tent shown in the picture that attaches to the teardrop...what a great idea! Have a great weekend... 8)

It is an SUV tent. Here is a link:
http://www.tentsontrucks.com/suvtent.html

I have one similar
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Thanks for the SUV Tent Site

Postby vintagetrailergal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 am

That is really a great idea....if I ever get my new doors on our teardrop, I will definitely have to consider one of these....I appreciate the posting!
vintagetrailergal
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:31 am

Gerdo wrote:Even if it is a sanwich wall you can cut clear thru and add blocking to frame out the door opening. The blocking may be able to be nailed/screwed inside and out and touched up or covered with opening trim. Or just slide the blocking inbetween the inside and outside sheeting and "sticking it" with some construction adhesive. Even if nailed/screwed I would also use some construction adhesive. I used PL construction Adhesive, I like it.

Looking at the photos in your album, I think that this is pretty much the way to go. Cut out a pattern of the shape and size that you want. Transfer that onto the side of the teardrop. Drill a hole to start your cut (I would make it at the lower front where the hinge will attach). You can then use a sabersaw/jigsaw (terminology) or a router to cut out the outline of the door. The piece that you cut out will need to be trimmed down a bit (usually about 1/4" all around) and can become your door. Or you can use your pattern and build a new door entirely. If you refer to the 'Generic Benroy' plans at the top of the table, it will give you a good idea on how to build new doors. There are lots of other things to be done, but this should give you some ideas on how it needs to be done. Look in my build photos to see how I trimmed the openings and the doors.
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves