I am a new teardropper from Southwest Missouri

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

I am a new teardropper from Southwest Missouri

Postby Ivan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 pm

Hello everyone. My wife and I are new teardroppers from Southwest Missouri. I had been "planning" a teardrop for about two years, but never seemed able to have the time to build it. Anyway, about a month ago, I saw a used teardrop on e-bay, bid on it, and ended up purchasing it. It was in Illinois, so not too far away to go pick it up (most of what I see on e-bay are on the west coast). Anyway, it was not completed, so I feverishly worked on it all I could to get it ready for ITG2 at Minden, NE, which I had come across on the internet. We started out to Minden, but had to come back home because a wheel was rubbing on the fender. It turned out that the springs had broken, and I had to install a new set of springs. So, anyway, we were a day late coming into Minden, but I guess mainly what we missed was the flood! So we got to Minden on Friday, and Friday night was the first night we slept in the teardrop! We loved it. But all during the trip, I kept having dozens of ideas of how I could improve the teardrop, etc. Is this normal? We loved seeing everyone else's teardrops at the gathering, and meeting all the nice people. Also, Pioneer Village was great! We have another camping trip to Colorado planned in a couple of weeks, but I wonder if we will see any other teardrops. It won't be the same if we are the only teardrop in the campground. I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences camping with no other teardrops around. How does it "feel" being in the middle of all the "big rigs"? I assume the campgrounds will let you set up the screenrooms, tent tops, toilet tent, etc. at your teardrop. I really can't understand why you don't see more teardrops. Anyway, I am new to teardropping, and new to this forum. I've got to learn a lot about using the features of the forum, but I thought this introductory letter would be a start.
Ivan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:13 pm

welcome aboard Ivan...got any pictures, we sure do love 'em...they are the coin of the realm around here...as you have learned, TD's are addictive...but there is help...a 12 step program can be of great seervice to you...step one...build(or purchase) a tear...step 2...build(or purchase) a tear...step 3...build(or purchase) a tear...you get the idea :D ...actually, you can only "buy" one...the rest have to be built to get the full effect of the 12 step program ;) ......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

I have to learn some things

Postby Ivan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 pm

I've got to learn how to post pictures, as well as other things on the forum. Also, I don't think my teardrop will EVER be "finished". I think I will always think of things I want to do to it, or change on it. My project now is to figure out some way of adding air conditioning.
Ivan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Ivan and Pat (?) it was nice to meet you as you pulled into your Minden spot. I was there as you were looking for your spot, and getting ready to back up. You and your lovely wife we're a welcome addition to the gathering !!! ( I was the one in the tiara)

Welcome to our wonderful forum and come camping along with us soon !!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

welcome

Postby sHoootR » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:19 pm

Hey at least you got to Minden, mine was campable 10 days to late. welcome to the MADNESS...................LOL :lol: :? :shock:
sHoootR (Guy) & SemiSweets (Vickie)
sHoootR
Gold Donating Member

Re: I am a new teardropper from Southwest Missouri

Postby NutmegJoe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Ivan wrote: But all during the trip, I kept having dozens of ideas of how I could improve the teardrop, etc. Is this normal?

Totally normal! Crazy isn't it? :) :?

Ivan wrote: How does it "feel" being in the middle of all the "big rigs"?

And...sometimes camping with all the big rigs can be a little eerie because you never see some of the people. They pull in, they leave. Strange.
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Ivan wrote:But all during the trip, I kept having dozens of ideas
of how I could improve the teardrop, etc.
Is this normal?

Ivan ... :D

If there were a turnstile or a counter of people here on this forum who have
had dozens of ideas on how to improve their trailer it would be tilted by now.

:lol:

You have come to a support group for your mental affliction for sure. :twisted:
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Ivan. You'll have to try to come down to Petit Jean the end of July. Check out the link down in the South Central part of the forum down at the bottom.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15188

Since your in SouthWest Mo it shouldn't be to far for you. Looking forward to maybe seeing you down there.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Image to the best playground on the net Ivan. Nice to see another Teardropper in SW Missouri. The cure for TDitis is not available so the only real help is to make sawdust and take lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :D Keeps the bubble oil level. Sharing with others so afflicted helps too.

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Welcome

Postby PapaJ » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

And Congratulations on your maiden voyage. :applause: :applause:

I've been working on mine for ten months, and hope to make the first camping trip within the next couple of weeks. :worship:

Way to go!

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby pauld3 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:24 pm

Welcome from Liberal KS. Glad to have you as our friends. Check out all the fall gatherings and plan on coming!!

Later, gator!
Lynn
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby Mike C. » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:43 pm

Welcome Ivan,

Did you and your wife have fun at Minden? Quite a get together.

Got to see a wide variety of teardrops and meet some really special people.

Hope to see you again in the future. And have fun looking through the forums.

Let us know if you need any help on your projects. :thinking:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Ivan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:09 am

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. We had a great time at Minden. It was quite an experience seeing all the different teardrops! Great people! That was a great "first two nights in a teardrop" experience! But I'm afraid it will be a lot different when we camp amidst (spelling?) big rigs. We are taking a trip to Colorado in two weeks. I am feverishly trying to get a PetCool hooked up to our tear, as well as make some improvements. If the guy who partly built it had just thought things out a little better, I wouldn't have the problems I am having! Ha! But it is fun trying to get it like we want it. Although it seems to be never ending! I need to learn how to put our pictures on the forum like everyone else. And how to use all of the features of the forum.
Ivan
Ivan
Teardrop Inspector

Fall or late Summer Gatherings?

Postby Ivan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:16 pm

Paul & Lynn,
Where do I find about the fall gatherings? I am new to this. We can't make the one at Petit Jean in Arkansas next month. Did I hear that there was one in Colorado later on?
Ivan
Ivan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Ivan, don't let those million dollar rigs in the camp grounds intimidate you. The main difference I find when I go to a campground that has no other tears is: First of all, you can't wander down thru the various camp sites, especially between the picnic table and the high-dollar "Coach". That seems to be the rule of the big boys. Next, you will have the most unique camping rig there, and as you nod and wave at passers by, they will want to check out your tear, and "look inside".

Now, when was the last time a "Motorcoach" owner was asked if some passerby-stranger could open the door and look into his carpeted and mirrored-ceiling palace? I have traveled through 46 states for 5 years in our "little" 28 foot motorhome, and often witnessed our camping neighbors extend their leveling jacks, pull the curtains shut, raise the satelite dish, and never once leave their rig. Now that's sad!

Actually, I get a kick out of camping among the big-boys and quite often they eventually wander over to see just what the heck we are cooking and camping in. I find these folks full of the darndest questions, much different than from fellow teardroppers. "Wow, you actually built it yourself?" to which I answer, "Yep, couldn't get the wife to help me one bit". Often I have just made a new friend from some far away state.

Now, as far as an AC unit, I mounted mine in the tongue box, cut a cold-air scoop through the TD wall and it works just fine. If it makes the tongue weight too heavy while enroute, stick it in the back seat or trunk until you set up camp.

Almost every tear owner yearns for some improvement to their trailer, so join the club. When you acutually build the next one, you can add all the things on your wish list. Enjoy your new toy, and go ahead and camp often among the towering behemoths and invite them over for a dutchoven potroast. It works for me.

Roly, So Cal Woody guy, wishing I could have made Minden.......too. :cry:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves