New to site and Getting Ready to Build

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New to site and Getting Ready to Build

Postby Isalvus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:54 am

I've just recently found this site and it seems like a wealth of knowledge. I've been wanting to build a teardrop for over 18 months, and I just recently sold a 72 triumph which cleared out my garage for build space. I've been looking at different build ideas for some time and it seems that I can compile the information and make a teardrop from scratch without using a specific design. One of my questions is, is that true or will I be opening myself up to a world of hurt.

Just yesterday I bought a motorcycle trailer (just over 5x8) which I'm going to modify to use as my trailer base. I'd appreciate any info that'll help me get started. There's a guy on ebay that sells the plans for a teardrop which he built (see link) I'm industious enough that I don't think I need his plans, but that style is the one I'd like to build. Any helpful starting hints or ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :middle:us
Isalvus
Teardrop Master

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:35 am

Isalvus Welcome and You have come to the right place. There is a link to a generic set of plans that are free on this website HERE is the LINK to the PDF above.

:thumbsup:

You might look at the plans and ask questions about any ideas you might want to do on your trailer. 8)

Also you can save money toward the trailer and materials and tools. :D

Just a thought.
:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby neal b » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:01 am

welcome isalvus i printed off the FREE plans of the generic benroy last week they have every step by step in them i think you will be pleased with them iam going too start this fall this will be build #2

neal b
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:47 am

Image Isalvus to the playground.

Answer: yes you will be opening yourself up to a world of "it hurts so good." :D You can change and mess around with any design you want and it will turn out right as long as you follow basic good building practices. Tie it together good and keep it reasonalbly square and level. :thumbsup:

The generic Benroy plans are a great place to start. There are lots of other plans on the board. Read through the builds on included in the Hall of fame.

Also STeve Frederics has a build CD that will be very helpful.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Isalvus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:22 am

That's pretty much what I thought. I'm just going to start from the ground up. I have a good idea what I want so I'm not going at it completely green. The only thing that might throw me for a loop will be the wiring. I want to have minor electrical elements, and hopefully ability to run a/c, but that's a long way down the road. Thanks
Isalvus
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:37 am

We have electrical covered too. ;) If you look above http://www.teardroptrailers.us/Trailer.html there is a tutorial for trailers and a whole forum on Trailers. The Electrical forum has a sticky on it where electrical stuff is condensed. Actually most of the forums have stickies where information is condensed. :thumbsup:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Isalvus,

Welcome to the forum. :applause:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Mary K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Welcome to the play ground!! No kicking, screaming , pinching, or weggies... unless its in the privacy of your teardrop with consenting adults!

Read up all ya can. Take into consideration that Teardrops have the axle move back towards the rear. This helps with the tongue weight.

Have fun, and keep us posted. :pictures:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves