Time to stop lurking and intorduce myself...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Time to stop lurking and intorduce myself...

Postby KristinU » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:56 am

Hi All,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, reading and reading and reading. Why can't I get these darn little trailers out of my head? :lol:

Anyway, I keep going back and forth between thinking we should build our own and buying something pre-made. I exchanged a few messages with clkelly because we rub shoulders on another forum - and started looking at [email protected] I fell in love with, but we just don't have the tow capacity with either of our vehicles (Toyota Matrix and RAV4). The RAV is our camping vehicle of choice, but the Matrix is newer (the RAV is a 1998), so I'm thinking I'd like to tow whatever we end up with using the Matrix. So I think we'll end up going the teardrop route since they're lighter.

We are currently tent campers and live in Connecticut, so there is plenty of great camping to be done in our area. Additionally we're Disney fans and visit Disney World at least annually. We have yet to camp down there, but are planning on it in 2008...it would be a blast if we had a TD or something by then! I love tent camping, but the set-up is getting old, especially with a little guy in tow (we have a 3 year old). DH and I (and our pup) used to backpack...so we just keep kicking it up a notch. I do know that RV-ing isn't for us since we love state parks, wilderness, etc. So a TD seems like it would be a great option for us and I think it would be the upper limit of our camping evolution.

Anyway, that's my long winded, rambling intro! Thanks for all of the info that I've gathered here so far - you guys are simply awesome!

Cheers!
Kristin
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Time to stop lurking and intorduce myself...

Postby Joanne » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Kristin!

Welcome to the teardrop addiction support group. Unlike most support groups, we don't help our members to overcome their addiction. We are a group of enablers! We encourage the addiction! :twisted:

It sounds like you are a really good candidate for teardrop ownership. Folks pull tears behind their PT Cruisers without problem so you should be OK with your vehicles as well (just keep the trailer weight down).

I hope you stick around and feed your new addiciton. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joanne

KristinU wrote:Hi All,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, reading and reading and reading. Why can't I get these darn little trailers out of my head? :lol:

Anyway, I keep going back and forth between thinking we should build our own and buying something pre-made. I exchanged a few messages with clkelly because we rub shoulders on another forum - and started looking at [email protected] I fell in love with, but we just don't have the tow capacity with either of our vehicles (Toyota Matrix and RAV4). The RAV is our camping vehicle of choice, but the Matrix is newer (the RAV is a 1998), so I'm thinking I'd like to tow whatever we end up with using the Matrix. So I think we'll end up going the teardrop route since they're lighter.

We are currently tent campers and live in Connecticut, so there is plenty of great camping to be done in our area. Additionally we're Disney fans and visit Disney World at least annually. We have yet to camp down there, but are planning on it in 2008...it would be a blast if we had a TD or something by then! I love tent camping, but the set-up is getting old, especially with a little guy in tow (we have a 3 year old). DH and I (and our pup) used to backpack...so we just keep kicking it up a notch. I do know that RV-ing isn't for us since we love state parks, wilderness, etc. So a TD seems like it would be a great option for us and I think it would be the upper limit of our camping evolution.

Anyway, that's my long winded, rambling intro! Thanks for all of the info that I've gathered here so far - you guys are simply awesome!

Cheers!
Kristin
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:46 pm

to the playground Kristin. The 12 step program isn't a cure but it helps.

1. make a plan
2. Post the plan
3. take pictures of any and all work
4. get a trailer
5 take pictures of the trailer
6. put the floor on
7. take pictures of the floor on...

You get the picture right.... sawdust helps a great deal but only if you post pictures.... ;)

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ira » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:45 am

Welcome, Kristin!

You will have a BLAST "camping" at Ft. Wilderness in Disney World in a TD, and I put camping in quotes there because you know the deal there, right? That place is loaded with amenities.

You'll also be EATING better than anyone staying at the resorts, because as you know, most of the Disney food stinks anyway. And the shuttle bus will take you to the parks.

One warning though:

At night at the campsite, people will not leave you ALONE asking about your TD and you won't get a moment's rest. So have some brochures/handouts ready so you don't kill yourself trying to give the same speech 500 times.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby KristinU » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:40 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

LOL, Ira - yep, I agree with your use of "camping" in quotes. My parents live in Fort Myers and have a big class A (Grandpa's bus, as my 3 year old calls it), so we usually meet up with them there when they are "camping" (THAT is anything but camping IMHO!) :lol: The amenities are incredible there.

Ha ha, Miriam and Joanne...you guys are enabling me already and I just got here. Love it! :angel:

Oh, and I hust have to say - you guys have the best emoticons I've seen!

Cheers!
Kristin
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Welcome

Postby 49er Teardrop » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:09 am

Welcome to the club. You'll be camping in no time! --Vic
49er Teardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mike C. » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Kristin,

Welcome to our group addiction. Must of missed you earlier. Hang around and ask questions and you'll be camping in no time at all. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi Kristin,

Welcome to the forum.

Take lots of pictures, you'll be camping again in no time, sans tents!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves