Experienced Newbie

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Experienced Newbie

Postby gizmotron » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:00 am

Hello TearDroppers & Tiny Travel Trailers,

I'm from Portland Oregon and have traveled for years towing a 35 ft 12,000 lbs pig of a trailer that just was a nightmare to drive through small towns during rush hour. I've stopped hauling that big thing and have gone to a Toyota Yaris... no I don't sleep in it.

For years and years I've seen people go about getting started in RVing with pop up tent campers as their first RV. When I was a kid the family went about camping in tents and at state park tent sites. After traveling to hundreds of RV campgrounds I just can't get myself to go out back to cook the bacon and eggs, too much like tent camping. So...

Here is my idea that I've been thinking about for at least ten years. I thought that getting the tent-camping camper off the ground and on to a supported wood floor, and that that would be a missing step between tent camping and the pop-up tent trailer/camper.

After discovering this website and this world of TDs & TTT I decided to build a teardrop that had a lift top with fold up upper walls and one slide out. I was making plans to build the whole thing as aluminum on top of a Harbor Freight 1,800 lbs 4' X 8' trailer ($299 on sale right now.)

Then it hit me... I have the HF trailer and the tow package installed on my Yaris, as of today. I finish the wiring next. anyway... why not the old idea but with the HF trailer with a utility box trailer style with a lid as the bases for a transformer type of a contraption. The automation part to be done by me when I first arrive at any new campsite.

So the top lifts up to seven feet six inches above the deck of the trailer while each side folds out to set on their own leg supports. Then metal walls go around the edges of each floor sectioned alcove created by the trailer sides becoming flooring. I then have a living demention of 11 feet by 14 feet with solid walls. All I've done is take the original idea of a tent with a floor and put it on wheels, add solid insolated walls and perhaps add a few self contained features.

So next week I will begin building the utility box with a lid. It's in seeing all these really cool looking teardrops that I am inspired and want to make my TTT a reality and not just an old idea rehashed.

Mark Brownell
Last edited by gizmotron on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike C. » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:27 am

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Sounfs like an interesting design you are planning. If you are looking for ideas to help, you might check out the section called Tiny Travel Trailer Designs and the forums Non-traditional Designs and Member Designs. Well, hope you have fun and I will see you around the board. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:32 am

Image to the playground Mark. Your plan is a bit ambitious for me but I would love to see it done. I am not sure you will get the weight low doing that many fold outs.

Would love to see a plan drawn out. :twisted:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby gizmotron » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:04 am

Mike C. wrote:Hi Mark,

If you are looking for ideas to help, you might check out the section called Tiny Travel Trailer Designs and the forums Non-traditional Designs and Member Designs.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. believe it or not I checked out every post in "Non-traditional Designs." Now I will check out "Tiny Travel Trailer Designs" and "Member Designs."

Mark Brownell
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gizmotron » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:21 am

Miriam C wrote: ... Your plan is a bit ambitious for me but I would love to see it done. I am not sure you will get the weight low doing that many fold outs.

Enjoy

Hi,

Thanks for welcoming me.

If each 2' to 3' wide by 7' tall section of the fold out only weighs five pounds then that will add only 100 lbs to the weight. So I estimate the entire indoor empty camping space at 500 lbs.

I could use a laminated, waterproof, and with zippers membrane but that would be just another well made tent.

So what computer program creates these neat looking animations I see once in a while here? The best ones use a transparent shading to show the parts better. If they used Photoshop then I guess it could be possible to create an animated gif through a lot of combined images. (lot of work)

Mark
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:05 pm

Mark, Welcome from a fellow Oregonian, I'm in Corvallis.

Will be interested to see some pictures. I'm a "soft sided" trailer guy.

--
Scott
[/url][/list]
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby angib » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:15 pm

gizmotron wrote:a lot of combined images. (lot of work)

"(lot of work)" is wrong - "(huge amount of work)" would be nearer the truth! :(

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Joanne » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:47 pm

Welcome aboard!

Although the majority of us focus on hard-sided trailers, do-it-yourself softside trailers are pretty interesting creatures too! I look forward to seeing how it all comes together. I'm starting to believe that 99% of a successful build is perseverance. (I'm still at about 97% :lol: )

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Ira » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Welcome!

But I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby gizmotron » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:08 pm

angib wrote: (lot of work)" is wrong - "(huge amount of work)" would be nearer the truth! :(

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yeah! I downloaded Blender, a free 3D program. It will take me a while to learn this program. After I have that down I will create a 3D animation version of my idea. (lots of work)

Mark
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gizmotron » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:21 pm

Ira wrote:Welcome!

But I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Thanks for the welcome.

So what don't you get? Your handle says that you are a story teller. If I don't communicate to you then maybe nobody gets it by my description.

Just imagine this... I pull into my campsite and get out and fumble with my ungodly contraption for at least 30 minutes before taking a break. Then an endless supply of curiosity lookers bother me about what the hell it is that they are looking at. Things like "What is it." This keeps up endlessly until I leave and go into another campsite.
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby gizmotron » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Joanne wrote:Welcome aboard!

Although the majority of us focus on hard-sided trailers, do-it-yourself softside trailers are pretty interesting creatures too! I look forward to seeing how it all comes together. I'm starting to believe that 99% of a successful build is perseverance. (I'm still at about 97% :lol: )

Joanne

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

So I guess there are very few TDs made with aluminum framed side walls and that are also built like airplane type construction methods? ( spruce / aluminum gusset type ) ...with aluminum skins that are flush riveted and insulation in between?

Mark
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Joanne wrote:I'm starting to believe that 99% of a successful build is perseverance.

That would leave only 1% for perspiration - I think you're using your perseverance a bit too concentrated - it will never soak into the wood like that......

Andrew :roll:
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Mark, now that is definately thinking out of the box, and I can relate to that. I do wonder what use you have in mind for a 11 x 14 foot camping unit that you might just want to take out for a short trip or to spend a weekend in. Most of us that have small trailers, enjoy the simplicity of our rigs, have most of what we need and use in a confined area and strive to eliminate having to deal with such a thing as 154 square feet of living area. I wonder if you could sleep a boy scout troop in it.

However, if that floats your boat, I say go for it. I agree that it would be a monumental building project, that would surely draw interested crowds at a campsite. There is a possibility that there are come campgrounds that would prohibit you from camping due to tight space restrictions.

I encourage you to continue to develop that concept, and am curious to see how it will all fit upon the less-than-mighty, Harbor Freight frame. How about sketching up some ideas and posting them, I gotta see this one. I usually make models out of cereal box cardboard to see if my ideas are workable, (and they usually are not). So far out of a dozen cardboard failures, only my latest 6 footer survived. Good luck on your dream camping unit, don't let anyone talk you out of it. BTW, welcome to the board.

Roly, always interested in seeing new ideas, looking forward to yours. :twisted:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby gizmotron » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Image to the playground Mark. Your plan is a bit ambitious for me but I would love to see it done. I am not sure you will get the weight low doing that many fold outs.

Enjoy

So here is a quick 3D animation. I will work on bigger exports and a few drawings with dimensions.

Mark
gizmotron
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves