New Member, San Diego CA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Member, San Diego CA

Postby Bad-Dawg » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Hi All,

I am Bad-Dawg and new to the list. No I didn't just pick the name, I earned it the old fashioned way 8^D

So... I am a 43 year old married father of 3. One boy is now out of the house, my Daughter is 17 and soon to follow, and my youngest boy is 8.

We love camping and exploring and have been doing it for years in many ways. First tenting, then a very simple tent trailer, then a mini Winnie and even a 64 Covered wagon trailer. We sold off all the rolling stock over the summer though and have been looking at little travel trailers of late. I like them but many of the ones I like(or can afford) tend to either be cheap POS', or need so much restoration due to rot that I just don't really want to go there. Not only that, but i tend to boondock and most of the older cool little ones don't look like they could really handle the dirt roads in the deserts around here, or Baja.

So I think I will build! I have lot's of woodworking experience having been in construction and engineering for years, and I have built a few boats along the way.

What I want to build would be a TTT that will sleep 3 comfortably, 4 in a pinch, have room inside for a portapotty and I will probably go with an outside Galley. I am thinking I will go for an outside size of 7'x12' and make it a tear with a popup roof. I am kind of toying with the idea of ripping a poptop out of a junked westfalia...

So Where do I like to camp? Beaches of Baja, The Anza Borrego desert, High country Sierras, and Burning Man. Why did I get rid of the Motorhome? Too much Fuel, and we really don't need all the interior space.

B-D
Bad-Dawg
Bad-Dawg
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

:Image to the playground BD. Three words---Side tents. Oh that's only two, now where is my third word....Oh yes :pictures:

Seriously I can see building a teardrop large enough for the 8 year old. The daughter might not like a tent but beyond that you are looking at something big. There are some bigger Tears being made and mine will fit 4 as it sits without the galley. It is 6' 4" wide and 9 of the 10 feet are used in length. 12' would give you a galley and bunks but you need a tent for the loo. 8) :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Bad-Dawg. You mentioned one of my old favorite places to camp, Anza Borrego, use to camp @ Coyote Creek many years ago, dry, hot & cold with pretty flowers in the Spring. Did you check out the Design Library at the top of the page? Danny, a transplanted San Diego native. :D
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ira » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:06 pm

With your want list, save yourself time and aggravation and just build 48Rob's cabin car:

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1964

It couldn't have taken him more than 2 weekends to build the whole thing.

HAH!!!!!!!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby neal b » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:16 pm

welcome aboard bad-dawg alot of great builders here iam sure you fine it is a friendly place also once again howdy from missouri :applause:

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby Mike C. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Welcome Bad Dawg,

There are several larger trailers on here. Cruise thru the "Hall of Fame "
in the upper left corner of each page.
Hope you have fun here and post lots of :pictures: of your build when you start.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:02 pm

BD, welcome to the forum, this is the place to get ideas and answers. I see that we are almost neighbors........well kinda, since I live just north of Temecula, up the I-15 fwy. As a former life-long construction worker, I understand your comfort level of being able to build the trailer of your liking. There are a number of "off-road" style trailers here, and you might check em out for ideas. As far as I know, no one has come up with the idea of using a Westfalia lift up top. Sounds interesting.

There is a teardrop and tiny trailer gathering in Oceanside at Guajame, called The Spamboree, on Oct 13th. You are welcome to walk in and check out the many rigs, and perhaps enjoy some of the wacky Spam creations at the dinner. There should be a bunch of trailers there, as all of the sites have been sold-out for some time. At any rate, hope your build goes well, and if you are up this way sometime, swing on by, the coffee is always on.

Roly Nelson, just an ol' woodie builder in Wildomar ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forum BD. You could build an ET but with bunks in the front!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Bad-Dawg » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:57 pm

WOW... I am surprised by all the friendly and constructive comments! Makes me feel welcome. Thanks. Since I have been thrown off a board or two over the years... I feel pretty good right now. So, What's an ET? I like the cabin car, Btw, But I think I want to go a little taller. Also, my main tow vehicle is a 2004 Nissan Quest minivan. I put a 6K hitch on it but it's only supposed to tow 3500#s. I did tow a 12' double axle carhauler to burning man and back recently. It was completely loaded and had 105 gallons of water on it too. Towed great in the bad heat of the high desert and just screamed up the passes on I 395. I was very happy with the 18MPG i got too. I think I can this work well with a small TT or large Teardrop.
Bad-Dawg
Bad-Dawg
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 pm

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Welcome

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:38 pm

:) Welcome to the forum, BD.
Is that a picture of you by chance?? :o
If you like camping in the redwoods check out the link below for an International Gathering scheduled in the far north of California for next summer, hopefully the last week of July 2008.

Have fun with your build. I've seen some TD's that will hold children, but many people opt to have a pop-up attachment or side by side tent to accomodate more than 3. At the Mendo Gathering there was a great add-on for kids that was a pop-up (sometimes called EZ-up) with sides added on that was placed right next to the TD. That way the kids have a play room area as well as a sleeping area.

Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Bad-Dawg » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Yup... That's me. An alter ego known as Stony the Klown. Stony works as a fire safety for a fire performance troop called Unifier. Check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Yes, crazy friends...

I have several tents and "could" keep the larvae in that but really want to have a way for them to sleep inside for those times when it's not easy to setup a tent, such as rest stops, A friend's driveway, Etc. It's all about the options you know... Normally I will be installing them in the Eureka, but I need the option for 4, with a common occurance of 3 sleeping inside.
Bad-Dawg
Bad-Dawg
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves