Hello from Snohomish, WA.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Snohomish, WA.

Postby Lonnie Gillette » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Ya'll. What an incredible site! You've got my juices flowin' to build a teardrop in a big way. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and am building cabinets now. When that job is done I'm going to free up my garage and, hopefully, get started on my Fly Fishing Getaway Trailer. I will have a lot of questions, most of which can wait, but for now there are a couple that I'll ask right off the bat. (1)I am a good woodworker (can't weld a lick) but would prefer to follow a good set of plans rather than try to design myself. Can anyone recommend a place to purchase great plans? I've been on the Kuffel Creek and Desert Teardrops websites already and they both look interesting. The DVD offered on this site also looks valuable. (2)Even though I can't weld, I know people that can. Any recommendations, pros & cons, etc. on building a trailer frame vs buying a bolt-together frame? (3)Any folks out there in the Seattle area that would take a novice under their wing? Thanks Much...you'll be hearing more from me in the future. Lonnie
Lonnie Gillette
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:16 am

" Plans we don't need no stinking plans "

It's kinda strange because I just finished a kitchen remodel ( literally from the ground up ) It used to be backyard now it's a 14 x 20 kitchen. Took from 2001 to 2003 by the time all was done. The only tradesman I had on site was the block layer old dad did all the rest. Tied in with new roof and complete siding job on the entire house.

I have "Chubby" ( a fat cubby ) 85% done and started in april 07.

Used a pencil and an assortment of long lumber rips as a compass. When I found the profile I liked I just winged it. He's in my album. Good luck on what ever you build and when you get stuck just ask there is a lot of experience on this forum. One or two made a couple of mistakes but we will never admit it .
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rainjer » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:40 am

Welcome to the board.

I live in Marysville. I build my trailer on a Fred Meyer folding trailer. If I was to do it again I would a custome frame built & it wold be a 5' wide.

I will be in Snohomish 9/28-9/30 with my trailer at Harvey Airfield for a Cub Scout Jamboree. Stop by.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Mike C. » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Welcome Lonnie,

Question 1 - Look in the Design Library, lots of free info, as far as drawings. If you think you might be good at CAD, there are several
free programs on this board.
Question 2 - I can only speak from my experience, we bought a trailer
that was once a pop-up camper, so I like the idea of using an already
built trailer, but there lots of people here that build there own.
Question3 - Go into " General Discussions" or the " Northwest Area "
forums and ask your question.

Hope you have fun, and when you decide what to build, post your pictures.

BTW - Check Steve Frederick's website, for designing.
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby SamR » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Plans we don't need no stinking plans
hear! Hear! Actually, my reason for not using them has a lot to do with my inability to follow directions. People seem to swear by Steve Frederick's plans though, and they all seem to have nicer tears than mine. :lol:
SamR
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi Lonnie, looks like you and I as woodworkers, have a bit in common. I am also in the middle of remodeling my kitchen, building cabinets and such, and also knew that I had the skills to build a teardrop. My choice was a woodie, simply because I wanted to design it myself and create the shape as I went along. Also, I agree, "we don't need no stinking plans".

If you are a cabinetmaker, my friend, you have all the talent you need to slap one of these things together. Tell you what, come on down to So Calif and I'll talk you through it...........well, part way anyway. I also do not weld, so built my tear on a bolt-together Harbor Freight frame, (which you can order on the net and have it in your driveway in about 3 days). No complaints about the frame, the 4 year old tear is rock solid and when I built number 2, I used the same type of frame. Go for it.

I contend that once you bolt some 2 by members to the frame, and screw down the plywood floor, all that is lacking is some plywood walls, roof struts and some thin roof plywood, along with the hatchlid.........and at this point you have already built a teardrop, now all you have to do is finish it. I also drew out my full sized profile out of cardboard, made the required changes to suit my ideas and cut the plywood sides to match.

Do check out the great info here on the board, lots of pics are posted here and I'm sure you can get any of your questions answered. It would be helpful if you could attend a gathering in your neck of the woods, or hook up with a local builder. Hey, cabinetmaker, join the increasing ranks of design-it-yourself teardrop builders, so you can have a camping unit that is totally unique and different from any other in the world.

Roly, So Cal woody guy, sorry about the rant, but just got on a roll. ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Image to the playground Lonnie. We do in fact have a very comprehensive set of plans and they are free. The Generic Benroy above and also there are the construction forums that have dozens of plans and build pictures. Throughout this website there are plans and all are wonderfully done.

As Roly said: " if you can build cabinets you can build a teardrop." I did it and I am not a builder of anykind.

Enjoy and :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: keeps the bubble oil level. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby pgwilli » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Hey Lonnie,
Welcome aboard! Another Snohomish County TD fan :thumbsup:
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:54 am

Welcome, as you can see I have been a member here for a while and I still haven't built my TD. I have plenty of designs drawn up and the problem is meshing them together.

No get out there and hit the Sky for some salmon, they are in!
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:19 am

Welcome aboard...if you already have the skils, all you should need is theGeneric Benroy plans and maybe some info from the Design Library...Steve Fredericks build CD is also an invaluable resource on another way of building...avoid the Desert Td Plans as they are dated and not all that informative compared to what is availabe here...Kuffel Creek's plans are nice but if you have building skills, you will soon find yourself modifying what Kevin has.

I MUCH prefer a custom frame...welding skils are not really needed, use the Trailer Tutorial, design the frame you THINK you need...lighten it...buy/cut/jig the steel and then have your welding buddy come over and doit up for supper andda beer or call a local weldor and have him comeon over and weld it up...if you have it basically cut and jigged, it shouldn't take but a couple of hours to weld up.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Lonnie Gillette » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks for all the advice everybody. You all talked me out of using stock plans. I have since ordered Steve Fredericks CD manual and am looking seriously at the Grumman II from the design library. This should be an experience if nothing else. I'll keep ya posted on another thread. Thanks again!
Lonnie Gillette
Teardrop Inspector

Postby neal b » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:43 pm

hello lonnie and welcome aboard glad to have you enjoy your stay here its a fun ride :lol:

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby ccdell » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Lonnie,
I am building the Grumman II on a Harbor Freight frame right now and, so far, it is coming along nicely (although I definitely don't have a lot of woodworking skills). If you have any questions, just ask. I will help however I can -- and then others will jump in and give the right answer :)
Scott
ccdell
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Welcome, Hey, MJ gave you some great advice, but I would build the cabinets for the tear right alongside your kitchen cabs. Then when its time to build the tear, you'll be half way done

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Lonnie Gillette » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:49 am

ccdell wrote:Lonnie,
I am building the Grumman II on a Harbor Freight frame right now and, so far, it is coming along nicely (although I definitely don't have a lot of woodworking skills). If you have any questions, just ask. I will help however I can -- and then others will jump in and give the right answer :)
Scott

Hey Scott,
Thanks for the offer. I may defenitely have some questions for ya as this progresses. Good luck and I'll stay in touch. Lonnie
Lonnie Gillette
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves