Big ideas for a little camper

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby ha » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:25 pm

I thought of something last night for weight:

The difference between a 4 foot and 5 foot is obviously 1 foot, or 25%. So not counting the trailer, i think i would need approximately 25% more building material.

i have my weight roughly calculated at 550, minus about 225 for the trailer weight, which leaves me with 225 of mostly structural components.

an additional 25% of 225 is 56.25, which i think would be the difference between 4 foot and 5 foot width. Total weight for me would be 606.25 with this estimate.

does this sound reasonable?
ha
Teardrop Builder

Postby EVAC A SHACK » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:22 pm

I built a 5x8 5 feet tall on a 4x8 frame with 12" tires. Empty weight is 820#. I pull it with a 2005 Corolla 1.8 lt. No problems pulling over 1100 ft. mountain passes. 25 mpg towing down from 38 hwy. mpg not towing. Good luck on your build.
EDDIE AND LINDA SMELLEY
LUFKIN, TX
EVAC A SHACK
Teardrop Master

Postby jmtk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi Ha,

Welcome to the forum! My 5x8 trailer is about 750 lbs completely empty. We also pull with a small car and keeping the weight low was one of my main goals. Everything adds up so you need to pay attention to the details. Here are some of the things I did:
- Sandwich construction everything: walls, ceiling/roof, floor, galley shelves, even the fenders. I chose 1/8” ply inside and out with ¾” framing and pink foam insulation in between the framing for most everything. The roof has 1.5” framing. The floor uses 3/8” ply on the top and 1/8” on the bottom.
- No cabinets, just shelves
- Simple fabric bunk for my son. This bunk idea would also work well as a very lightweight shelf in the cabin
- No big battery. We actually just ran off of the car battery for quite a while, but I was always afraid to run the fan overnight for fear of having a dead car battery the next morning.
- Cut big holes in the ¾” ply bulkhead
- No aluminum outer layer (adds a surprising amount of weight)

If I was trying to cut the weight even more, I would not have added a footwell/table, but that's something I really wanted, it added around 27 lbs. I also would have gone with a lighter chassis and wheels. The running gear alone came to 310 lbs.

I made a big spreadsheet before building to try to predict the weight based on how I planned to build it. It calculated the 5' wide case at 715 lbs and the 4' wide case at 660 lbs. My prediction fell short of actual, but it gives you an idea on the difference between the two.

Have fun!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:55 am

Ha, I don't think your added 25% is accurate. After all, you already have the two sides which include the weight of the 2 wheels, and you are simply moving one side out a foot or so. In reality the only weight you would be adding is the floor, the roof, the hatchlid and added cabinets. If you really build light, you will be happier with your teardrop. I have a 6 footer that is a shade under 250 lbs. So, it can be done by just using the lightest materials available. Good luck on your build, and take lots of pics as you go along. Post them and you will get nothing but positive comments. Oh yes, welcome aboard, after all we were all newbies, once.

Roly, So Cal woody teardropper. ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Jules Martel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 am

greetings, love alaska people, had the best riding ever with a snowboarder, wich we usually have no patience for, he was from fairbanks too, this guy could ride, guided him around the comb for a while...

anyhow, ira is probably right, hodder, would probably tell you to loose the plan an calculalalaltion :lol:

go 5, increase the air volume inside, youl snore better, most the time my wife sleeps next to me, i have the tendency to hug the wall..... :roll:

when alone, its great, ...we can almost do a spread eagle... good way to test, sleep in double 4' no arm hangin on the side, queen 5', king 6'...

drop by on your way down, can help in regards on best b.c. roads.

my dream belongs to you and them

jul
Jules Martel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:26 am

I can't put my finger on which post you might be talking about, but I'll think about it today. Maybe once I shake off the sleep...

Mike...

Tcurr wrote:I have seen a post mike made were he outlined mmost of the weights on materials, But can not remeber the post fot eh life of me.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 am

While Mike is hunting for your numbers (and he's good, you'll see 'em soon),
I'd like to add a voice to the 5' (or bigger) chorus. Try this:
Mark a 4x8 space on your floor. Now subtract 1'' from each side for your wall thickness (and 1'' from each end). Now get your significant other and lie down in the remaining space. Get a friend to watch or put up a web/video camera and turn it on. Both of you should roll over, stretch, etc. If you end up with a body part outside the line, 4x8 is too narrow.
It's as easy to build 5' as 4' wide (you will need approximately 1 extra sheet of ply, 1 extra sheet of insulating foam board, and appropriate framing). Over the course of any trip for more than one person in the TD lasting more than two nights, that extra foot will be well worth the effort (and if you're going alone, that extra foot gives you *luxury* space).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby ha » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 am

we measured ourselves out a 4x8 space this weekend, its just like sleeping in a twin bed. At this moment, we are leaning towards the 4 foot width for a couple reasons. I think every pound is going to count, and 30-50 pounds for the extra width might not be worth it. Also the ease of construction is a big factor. we are a little short on time (leaving in the spring) and really short on tools/equipment. I dont want to be ripping plywood sheets with a hand jig saw, i think i know where that will get me.

we are already going to have some extra weight because we are going with 1/2" ply for the walls and floor (i have a buddy with a stack of it that is fair game). I have also noticed that 1/8" anything is rare here, where is everyone getting this in the lower 48?

Jules, who was this mystery rider? My friends happen to work at the local ski hill (already making snow for the season!), maybe i know him?

Jeanette, we have already decided on some of your ideas. There will be a minimum of cabinet doors, just shelves. We are thinking of going with a lithium battery system due to the small size and weight over lead acid. and there will be no aluminum to be found on our tear. Once again, the 1/8" sandwhich sounds great, but where did you get the material?
ha
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:24 pm

My 5x10 profile took 6 minutes per side to jig saw out of 1/2 osb no big deal.

If you reduce from 5' to 4' this is a 20% savings using your logic not 25%
I estimate lumber and shipping weights and have for going on 8 years.

Lets make some assumptions the sides are going to be the same no matter what !

You are saving 8 sq ft of 1/2" ply on the floor at 1.56 # per sq ft or 12.5 #

if you have 6 2x4 floor joists under the floor by reducing by 1 ft you have saved 6' of 2x4 @ 1.6 # per foot or just under 10 #

14 2x2 spars at 1' = 7' of 2x4 times 1.6 or 11+ lbs

the roofing if wood will probably be 1/4 or less at least 1/2 the weight of the 1/2" ply so 14 sg ft at .78 # per sq ft just under 11 lbs

Total weight savings 44#

Your 225 * 20% = #45 ya can't get any closer
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jmtk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:38 pm

ha wrote:Once again, the 1/8" sandwhich sounds great, but where did you get the material?

Ha,

I got my Baltic Birch (1/8" and lots of other thicknesses) at a hardwood specialty store here in Salt Lake called MacBeath's. A woodworking friend of mine told me about it. Ask woodworkers around in your area, especially cabinet makers.

Baltic birch comes in 5x5 sheets, so may not be what you want if you're doing a 4x8 trailer. It's great for 5' wides ones, though.

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Bobhenry wrote:if you have 6 2x4 floor joists under the floor by reducing by 1 ft you have saved 6' of 2x4 @ 1.6 # per foot or just under 10 #

I seriously hope there is not a single whole 2x4 anywhere on this thing. :lol:

I do see some wisdom in the 1/2 or at least 3/8 for the sides. You are not talking about camping along the way in some nice city park but some real wilderness with real animals and some real extremes in weather. You will need to balance the need to not have a lift off in high wind and the need to stay light weight too.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:55 am

[quote="Miriam CI do see some wisdom in the 1/2 or at least 3/8 for the sides. some real wilderness with real animals and some real extremes in weather. .[/quote]

"Lions and tigers and Bears oh My "!

Well bears anyway.

Can a Bear chew thru 1/2 " Plywood !

Now there is a unique design concern ! :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ha » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 am

I dont doubt at all that a bear could get through 1/2 ply if there was something worthwhile on the other side. We will apply our ultraclean tent camping strategy when in the tear to avoid such temptation.

As for the lions and tigers, i dont think our tear will ever have a chance to test that out, though we do plan on going to africa some day...

Miriam, dont worry there will not be a 2x4 anywhere close to our tear.

Im going to look around at the local lumber yards and try and track down some birch, i hope someone keeps it in stock.
ha
Teardrop Builder

Postby lil'dave » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 am

Well, I can't speak with the experience of some of these folks, cause' I'm just a newbe like you, but I built a 4x8. I've put about 5,000 miles on it going cross country and a few gatherings, and it's worked out just fine for me. I'm on the small side, but my wife isn't, and we fit just fine. For me, the 5' would be nice sometimes, but not necessary. As I see it, the 5' would just give you more room for your 'stuff'. Well, the 4' give me enough room for my 'stuff'.
Any overflow goes in the tow vehicle. Works for me.
Good luck on your build.

By the way, I was stationed at Bethel in the AF. Great state. :)
lil'dave
lil'dave
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves