Sorry for the long intro.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Sorry for the long intro.

Postby riddlefam » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Hello all,

My wife and I have a young family. We have two littel girls (4 and 2) and he have just moved to the Nashville area. We are the adventurous type and are wanting to get out over the next few years and explore the south and we figure what a better way to do that then camping and with a teardrop. We are from California and have always loved being outside and want to share that with our daughters.

Well I'm just about to start the wonderful adventure of building and enjoying my own tear drop. I believe I've done all the research and know where I want to start. But I'm sure I'll be on here soon enough with the questions.

Actually here is my first one. Due to some $ constraints and practice. I'm thinking about buying a 4x8 from HF to start with. I want to design it kind of on this model of the weekender http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/index.html
but maybe make the back end open more to have an extra bunk similar to this http://www.rikkeller.com/web/Trailer/index_trailer.htm. MY oldest daughter is only 33" tall so we could get a couple years of of it until I make a larger 5x8. We're just wanting to get started and I think this would work while still being able to keep us all together and bring the essential gear for our short weekend getaways.

I do have a couple dilemma, I'm 6'4" and the weekend looks like it measures 80" in the sleeping compartment and I'm thinking about taking out the interior shelves to put the folding bunk for the girls to sleep sidways in. But by extending the back and moving the cabiets back similar to the second link.

Do you think this would affect things too much in terms of structural integraty (sp?) as well as be enougt space for the 4 of us inside. Or if anyone has any other ideas,

Thanks for your time in reading this and I look forward to maybe our paths crossing someday.

Sincerely,
John
riddlefam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Image to the playground. The weekender is a great choice for a family. We have another member who is making the same choices. You can find his build here: http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 342#272342

This might be a useful build for you as well. You can take it out to 5 wide by building over the wheels.

Enjoy and keep us in lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Keeps the bubble oil level.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm

Welcome John and Family,

Glad you found the forum and have done so much research already. It sounds to me, as though the weekender would be perfect for what you are needing. But take the time to look thru the "Hall Of Fame" at the top left of the page and see if anything else appeals to you. You might check down in "Member Designs", Traditional and Non-Traditional Designs." But whatever you decide to build, be sure and post lots of pictures.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Welcome John and family...

That Road-Toad looks like a good plan for a growing family. :thumbsup:
I like it a lot. Looks like you have done your homework. As they said above, there are lots of free plans available here. You can use the HF 8' trailer to build a larger trailer no problem... lots of folks have. Just make the floor longer as needed and move the axle back some. Have fun with your project and keep us posted. :thumbsup:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. :shake hands:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tcurr » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:53 am

Welcome
My Idea of plans are a tape measure, a saw and a dream.

Tom & Brenda
Westerville, Ohio
Tcurr
Silver Donating Member

Re: Sorry for the long intro.

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:20 am

riddlefam wrote:
so we could get a couple years of of it until I make a larger 5x8. Sincerely,
John

Do a 5x10 now ! With 4 aboard there will not be a great deal of extra room.
In the 6 month to a year it may take you to build your tear that 33" child will be 4'-6" if your not careful. Chubby is 5'-6" x 9'-10" mounted on a modified 4x8 HF trailer and we are 63"wide x 78" long on the sleepy side plus a 30" deep galley.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=26572
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:39 am

Tcurr wrote:Welcome
My Idea of plans are a tape measure, a saw and a dream.

Funny you should say that... I rarely use plans either. And, even if I do I end up changing them so much I might have well have started from scratch anyway. I build most furniture that way too... It just works well for me. :lol:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Italia » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Welcome

I would suggest that you build 5x10 now. My husband is the same height as you. Plus kids grow fast. Four people in a 4x8 will be tight

Chris
Italia
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves