Hello from Chambersburg, PA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Chambersburg, PA

Postby theis655 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Hello everyone,
I found this forum after seeing RV crazy on the Travel Channel a few weeks ago and my wife said that she thought that the Teardrop trailers looked cute (all i needed to start researching). I am an eagle scout and have been a camper most of my life and was looking at upgrading from tent camping and the small size of teardrops caught my intrest. I initally was looking to buy a teardrop but that is a bit cost prohibitive for me and I found Tom Swensons site (great job by the way Tom) and I am thinking it is more economical to build my own Tear with exactly what we want rather than buying something with almost everything. I plan on enlisitng the help of my father (a retired pipefitter), my brother (a master carpenter), and my father in law (a master electrician). Although they don't know it yet but i am sure a few cases of beer can provide good persuasion for them to give me a hand when needed. I have been going though a ton of the posts on this site and starting to plan my Tear (using the Generic Benroy plans too good a resource to not use for the first-timer) I probably won't be staring until next spring because my wife is finishing up her teaching degree and all of our income is going to other things like food, morgatge and utilities. But as soon as we can save up some money a Teardrop is one of the first things on our to do list. So I am sure I will have plenty of questions in the future and thanks for everyones posts so far they are truly helpful.
Oh yeah that is my daughter in my picture with me.

Thanks,
Joe
theis655
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:47 pm

If you start now and collect interesting junk you can really cut your cash outlay. I used junk vacuum cleaner cords for my 12 volt wiring the headlight out of a couple of them were put in a couple old lanterns for inside ac lighting. Yardsale windows ,door locks, camping goodies are always a good find. My a/c electrical runs are all wired with 12 guage 3 wire heavy duty extention cords found here and there in the trash or at yard sales. The queen matress in mine was deposited in a farmers burn pile on Monday and Tuesday I retreived it. It was nice ! Go Figure ? Almost any trailer frame can be converted keep your eyes open when driving around you can find them all over. Many haven't moved in years. Stop and ask ~~ all they can say is no it's not for sale. I have had a couple folks tell me if I will take the trash that on it with it I can have it.
I have a very servicable decent looking Tear and I have less than $900.00 invested. It was done $20.00 here and $20.00 there and it never really caused a household money crisis. I guess teardrops are kinda like kids if you wait till you can afford them no one would ever have em !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Joe,

Welcome to the forum. I live over in the York area (Manchester) and you are welcome to come over and have a look at my tear most anytime. There also is a member here that is in your area (hope he pipes in here because I cannot remember his username) and I am sure he would let you see his teardrop also.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:07 pm

I think it's Outlaw who Kerry is referring to.

Welcome aboard, if you're over this way stop by!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Hey Joe-

If you have nothing better to do next weekend:

Friday Feburary 8-9-10, 2008

RB Winter State Park @ Coops Cabin

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... inter.aspx

The Cabin is located just outside the park.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/ ... er%20Fest/

This will be the third year.

It is a Rustic Cabin, no electricty, propane lights, coal heat and an outhouse. (i cheat and bring a porta-potti)

Contact Coop for details & DIRECTIONS. [email protected]

There should be a couple TD's to look at :roll:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kens » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Welcome from anouther Pa person. Look at the Benroy plans at the top of the page ..Ken
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Sam I am » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Welcome to another Keystone Stater! It sounds like you have a great pool of expertise to tap in your family! Good luck on the build!
Collecting materials now is a good idea. Check yard/garage sales and junk piles. They say "one man's trash is another man's treasure". It's true for teardroppers!
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby EVAC A SHACK » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:58 am

Welcome Joe,

I too learned to enjoy camping as a Boy Scout. Teardrops are the ultimate in camping and will bring back memories of your days of Scouting when your were trying to see how you could pack everything you needed in the least space and camp for the longest time possible with the most comfort. Good luck on your build and hope to meet you at a Gathering. :thumbsup:
EDDIE AND LINDA SMELLEY
LUFKIN, TX
EVAC A SHACK
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:18 am

Image To the playground Joe. You have a great pool of helpers. My carpenter brother in law was a great help. He didn't build he just said "It's a box Miriam." It is a box...........Expertise helps make it a fancy box..............but it is still a box.

I built mine $20 to $30 a week when I had it. I also gave up doing anything for a year. No fishing either :cry:

Start now and get your stuff a little at a time. That will give you planning time too.

Oh and tell the carpenter to save you materials. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby theis655 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I plan on getting things here and there and getting things on the cheap as well so hopefully it won't be too big an outlay of funding. Once a gain thanks for the welcome and I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you soon.

Joe
theis655
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike C. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum. Get to making sawdust and you will be camping before you know it.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby jdarkoregon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:49 pm

Hey Joe,

Welcome from the Left Coast. Sounds like you and Teardrop Time will get to know eachother.

We all hope you enjoy your new addiction!

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves