Newbie from Texas, with more questions than a 5 year old

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from Texas, with more questions than a 5 year old

Postby J.T. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:37 am

Like most guys I've been lurking in the shadows reading everything I can about building a TD. I just bought a popup and realized it was to heavy for my wifes little Nissan to pull when we go up to Boise for vacation. :o Spotted a teardrop and got curious about them, sure glad I did. I'll probably be driveing you guys mad with questions so please bare with me. I'l try and find the answeres in the foreum before asking though so I won't be a bore. :roll:
J.T.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:10 am

Hey JT
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have another Texan on board.
Ask all the questions you want. That's what the forum is here for.

Be sure to check the South Central region below to see what all is going on and where the gatherings are.

Linda and Charles
Last edited by Coca Cola Teardrop on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby rubyede » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Welcome and ask as much as you want. You will find a lot of information and willingness to help and share on this forum. Ruby
rubyede
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Image to the playground. Questions are allowed, answers are even right sometimes and pictures always help. Take a lot cause you can't go back.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Newbie with more questions than a 5 year old kid.

Postby J.T. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I've been looking for a trailor for a while, even called the local radio station that has a call in show 99.9FM. took mama's truck down the road to get inspected and found one in the bushes near the shop, talked to the guy about it and bought it for $25. I5t needs a coupler( old one is shot) new tires, looooots of sanding and cleaning up. Replaced 3 of the wheel bearings, and seals. It's running 13" aluminum wheels on it so I'll run over to wally world and get some tires for it tomorrow. It's only 4' wide and measuring from the cross member in front of the " box" to the back is almost 8 foot. Still haven't settled on which type of TD to build though. I'm thinking that this one will do for a trip to Boise and back and then maybe I'll put a kitchenette in the back and sell it , and start another. I like the looks of the Benroy so maybe I'll build it at first.
Question: I keep seeing the word filon and I'm wondering what it is. also are there pros and cons about using aluminum skin on the top as to using louan? Is there a special way to build a door or is it better to buy one instead?
Linda and Charles, I go through Lufkin all the time when I go to visit my brother in Overton, if you wouldn't mind I'd like to see your TD and maybe get some ideas for mine? I'd apreciate it if I could. If not? no problem. Thanks again for the welcome, folks
J.T.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Boodro » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi JT , I used to live in Baytown. I used to hunt around Dayton too. Glad to see ya building , ya'll will love campin in it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Where bouts in Dayton do ya live?? Good luck , & never stop sakin questions. these people will be more than happy to help!! :applause: :applause:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

more quetions than a 5 year old

Postby J.T. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:56 pm

I live out in Kenifick, it's a bump in the road behind Dayton. MOved out here about 23 years ago after hurricaines almost blew the old house away in Crosby. Better halfs grand parents bought 100 acres out here , then proceeded to have 3 girls. I married the oldist girls , oldist girl and ended up out here taking care of all the land, cows, fences, water wells, plumbing, tractors,feeding, etc. Retired for the fire dept. to work full time here, go figure.lol. Also do volunteer work at the Henley State Jail during the week. I'm hoping to get this TD done in time to pull it up to Boise so we'll have some place to sleep, hate having to sleep on my sister in laws floor alla time:S :x IF, it's not finished ? guess I could borrow my daughters Nissan Desert runner with a V6 and pull the popup up there. But I'd rather pull the TD though.
J.T.
Teardrop Builder

more quetions than a 5 year old

Postby J.T. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:56 pm

I live out in Kenifick, it's a bump in the road behind Dayton. MOved out here about 23 years ago after hurricaines almost blew the old house away in Crosby. Better halfs grand parents bought 100 acres out here , then proceeded to have 3 girls. I married the oldist girls , oldist girl and ended up out here taking care of all the land, cows, fences, water wells, plumbing, tractors,feeding, etc. Retired for the fire dept. to work full time here, go figure.lol. Also do volunteer work at the Henley State Jail during the week. I'm hoping to get this TD done in time to pull it up to Boise so we'll have some place to sleep, hate having to sleep on my sister in laws floor alla time:S :x IF, it's not finished ? guess I could borrow my daughters Nissan Desert runner with a V6 and pull the popup up there. But I'd rather pull the TD though.
J.T.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dooner » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:11 pm

Welcome. Good to have another Texan. 8)
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Welcome JT,
I go through Dayton whenever we go to the beach. Your trailer sounds like a good start. If you want to get some ideas we are having a small gathering at Lake Somerville on the 22-24th. There will be a few tears there and we always love to answer questions around the campfire.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:34 am

JT
Check your private messages

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby EVAC A SHACK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm

Welcome J.T.

Try to get to a gathering and get ideas and advice from the ones that have built. Good luck and you will enjoy the TD.
EDDIE AND LINDA SMELLEY
LUFKIN, TX
EVAC A SHACK
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves