Hi from South Africa

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from South Africa

Postby Cumulus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi from Cape Town, South Africa.
Whilst surfing the net some months ago, I came across these little Teardrops, and decided it would be just the thing to go camping in, rather than my big caravan. A little search and I found some plans (Bought them from Kuffel), and hey, I have now build 9 of the little varmints (called them Squirrels).

I think mine are probably smaller than most, the "box" measuring 6"5 by 3"95. This is the standard size for a 3/4 mattress, so I worked the size of the trailer from the mattress size!

I had to keep them small and light as the tow-cars are often 1300cc cars (you would call them sub compact or micro cars in the USA), like the Fiat Uno or the old Beetle.

We have had great fun building them (my son and I) and are constantly changing the design as we think of improvements.
Cumulus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Interesting little bugger. The profile does kinda remind ya of a squirrels tail.
I believe we have another member here from South Africa, can think of his name off hand tho.
Lets see some more pics.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

More pics

Postby Cumulus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi Rich,
I am loading as we speak, but have to crunch most of my pics as they are too big!

I am also working on an all-terrain Teardrop at the moment, to tow behind my Land-Rover. Should be interesting!
Cumulus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Now that has cute factor written all over it. :thumbsup:

Would love some pictures of the inside and the galley area. :worship: Details on the trailer frame to please :twisted:

Image to the playground and enjoy.

Also you might post in our Manufacturers section if you would like customers over there to find you. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

photo's to follow eventually

Postby Cumulus » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi guys,
I am going to have to ask my wife to shrink the photos of the galley and interior, can't seem to get it right! Wadja expect from a man who drives a 1980s Jaguar and a Land-Rover! lol

More pics at www.squirrelvan.com

This is a most excellent site, still browsing............
Cumulus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike C. » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi Cumulus,

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice looking trailer and the size is just right for your needs, but boy are you addicted. Nine of them, huh? Why nine? One for each day of the week, with two left over? Well as Aunti said, I would really like to see the inside and the galley area. Anyway, glad you joined.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Mary K » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:43 pm

:clapping hands: :clapping hands: :thumbs up1:

Wow!!! Great Little Teardrops you are building.

I do love the profile. That is the perfect size for pulling with small cars. What is the finished weight of the Squirrel?

Great craftsmanship, thank you for sharing.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

More photos

Postby Cumulus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi everybody,
Please go to my Album (Cumulus) to see meore pics and a couple of the interior.
To answer some questions:
Weight is approx 700 lbs
Why have I built 9? Coz it gives me something to do when I am not building boats!

Cheers for now
Cumulus
Cumulus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:30 pm

Welcome to the board, Cumulus. Looks like you have a booming teardrop building business there in So Africa. Got a few questions for you, though. Is there a reason you don't have a door on each side, since the access and bed making is much easier with a second door? Also, do your feet extend all the way to the back of the trailer? I see in all of the pics, only one teardrop shows the existance of a galley under the hatch lid. Do they all have galleys in the rear. And finally, do you see any danger of having a suicide door set up? Very few that I have seen have the door swinging in that direction.

All in all, it sure looks like a very solid trailer, well built and has nice lines. Keep up the good work, and finally, are there any other teardrops down where you are? Good to have a new member from yet another part of the world.
Roly :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:15 am

I gotta add one more question to Roly's....do ya think them there door hinges are big enough??? 8) :lol:
I know everyone else is wanting to ask! :)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

More African answers

Postby Cumulus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:58 am

Hi guys,
First, when I was reading up on building these little caravans, all the discussions / advice / and the original drawings I obtained told me to go to such-and-such hardware for the aluminium mouldings, hinges etc...
Welcome to my world, where you have to make it or adapt something that doesnt really fit.
For example, I saw some Teardrops with beautifull round oening windows, impossible to get. Mouldings, forget it! and just to get the trailers was a real mission!

As for who else makes... no-one! I am the only teardrop manufacturer (in my very small way) in South Africa.

Most people either buy a big caravan or buy off-road camping trailers, very heavy with big wheels, high-ride suspension, and a roof-top tent that opens on top of the trailer. see http://www.bundutrailers.co.za/ for pics of this type.

Questions:
One door? Obvious, means the missus has to climb over you to get out!!! hehehehe
Feet? Yes the mattress goes all the way to the back, feet are under the shelf/ galley. Makes the trailer a whole lot smaller.
Galey?We have built with and without galeys. People tend to cook outide, so rather than have a galley, we have shelves accessible from the inside. This also means the entire roof is one solid piece of aluminum, less likely to spring a leak.
Suicide door? Makes a lot more sense as when the door is open it fits flush against the side of the caravan. If we have it opening the normal way, it acts like a kite when open, and rattles and blows when it's windy.
Hinges? No problem so far, only failure we have had is with somebody not latching the tailgate to the galley properly, it bounced open on a dirt road and almost ripped off.
Cumulus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Cumulus, thanks for the prompt reply. I guess you have all the bases covered. If you are the only manufacturer down there ( I guess it is Down there, right?), you should be able to interest others that want something much lighter and easier to tow. Good luck.
Roly 8)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby bgordon » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:31 am

Hi Cumulus!

Welcome to the teardrop playground. I am the other South African non-lurker on the forum. Now we are two! Hopefully the other South African members will also start participating.

I have seen your teardrop in a caravan mag. I think they could have given you a bit more exposure!

So, how's business? And what is our fellow South African opinion of teardrops?

Good to have you on board! :applause:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves