New to the site and mini trailers

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New to the site and mini trailers

Postby coprospector » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 am

Hello all,

I would like to say hello to everyone and fill you on on a new project. First, I live in Colorado and enjoy getting outdoors as much as possible. I have been working on a design for a mini travel trailer for a while now and have finally begun the construction. I have a local guy welding the frame as we speak, which should be complete in a couple weeks. I have been researching sites for parts and have found everything I need except for a reasonable site for entry doors and windows. They all seem to be so stinking expensive! I need a short door, like the ones used for teardrops but I'm not sure if anyone fabricates these. It seems like most people make their own doors and place a store bought window in. Any ideas? I am working with a budget but am open to suggestions. I will be on this site often since it looks like a great resource for information. Hello again and I'm excited to meet everyone!
Scott
coprospector
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SteveH » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Welcome Scott. About the door...if it's not a "standard" sized RV door, you will most likely have to build one, IMHO. Good luck with your build and remember, we like to see the pictures.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Image to the playground. Nice to have so many new faces from Colorado.

We have lots of information stored i key locations. First try is Sdtrippers index above and Riches list. Then I would do a search or go to the "manufacturers" forum and ask.

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=22

I think they provide doors too.

Now be sure to keep the bubble oil level :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum. Like was said above, anything but a standard size door, may be a problem. So you may be back to building one. Whatever you decide, be sure and post pictures, so we can keep up with your progress.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 am

Hi Scott, welcome aboard. If you have an RV bone yard in your area, you might consider picking up a used trailer door that is in good shape. These doors can be cut down to any size you choose, all it takes is a little patience, a sharp hack saw, a metal file and a few basic hand tools. Cutting down the door frame is even easier.

Now if you are considering building out of wood, I could give you a few pointers regarding my experience in hand-crafting a wooden door, complete with an openable wooden window. However, I suggest you stick to aluminum, since it won't turn into cornflakes when it gets wet. Long live the woodies, now where is that sand paper and varnish?

Do take pics, post em, ask questions and attend a gathering if you can. Walk-ins welcome.
Roly ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Thank you for the information

Postby coprospector » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:42 pm

Thank all of you for your time and information. After thinking about it, cutting down an old door from a bone yard might not be a bad way to go. I'll have to look around and see if I can find an old trailer to hack on. Thank you again! Only one more week until I get my frame back!!

Scott :thumbsup:
coprospector
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves