new to site

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new to site

Postby rtp123 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi all:

Just signed on as a new member; I am in the planning stage to build a teardrop based on the Kuffel Creek 10' Comet with some variations. 8)
rtp123
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. Ask questions if you have any, and remember to take lots of pictures of your build! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Dean_A » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Welcome, and good luck! I also started with the Comet plans, but VERY quickly abandoned them and started "freestyling". Not that the plans aren't good. It's just that there are so many great ideas on this board.
Have fun!
--Dean
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Image to the playground rtp. Sounds like a plan. Make some sawdust and take some :pictures: :pictures: Play on the board, make some sawdust, :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :hammer: :designing:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rtp123 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Thanks, Dean. If you have any ideas to improve on the Comet design, I am open for them.

I have ordered the dexter torflex axle per the plan specs and waiting for its arrival; I have a good friend who is a certified welder with an excellent shop and he is ready to start welding up the frame. I intend to add stabilizer jacks to the rear of the frame and add a 2" hitch receiver for a bicycle rack, etc. Per the axle distributor, he recommends either a 13' or 14' wheel instead of the 15" called for in the Comet plans.
rtp123
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 pm

Welcome. Check out the vintage plans at this link. It's the same one at the top of every page of the forum. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm

I've built a couple of tears on the basic Comet plans. It's a great platform to start with, lots of modifications can be done to it. I'd think about what fenders you want to use on it before you commit to a wheel size. Too small and it might not have the "road" appeal you want, if that's important to you. Just my opinion however. Welcome aboard, and most importantly...have some fun with your build. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:02 pm

rtp, welcome to the board. As you know, this is the place to get helpful info and where you can ask questions. Good luck on your build.

Roly
Last edited by Roly Nelson on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Mike C. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi rtp123,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've already picked up some good advise, so now all you got to do, is build it, Photos are important, cause we like to keep up with your progress.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby rtp123 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks, Doug. Thant's a good idea about the fenders; :applause:

I have looked at halfdome danny's pics and I am very impressed with the trailer; I especially like the tongue box.
rtp123
Teardrop Builder

Postby razorback » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:11 am

Welcome to the world of TD's.. I also used the comet plans for the profile.
Not having the skills like most of the builders on the forum I modified the interior cabinets and galley to have simple shelves. I did make mine a 5 X 10. I did not find the forum until I was almost completed. Would have saved me much grief and anguish to have all the knowledge contained here. Have fun with your build.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dean_A » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:08 pm

rtp123 wrote:I intend to add stabilizer jacks to the rear of the frame and add a 2" hitch receiver for a bicycle rack, etc. Per the axle distributor, he recommends either a 13' or 14' wheel instead of the 15" called for in the Comet plans.

Looks like you're already doing fine without my input! :lol:
Mine's still a work in progress, but I added such things as stabilizer jacks, a bunk for my daughter, a removable tongue, and other things forgotten in the mists of time (been working on mine for 3 years). I also changed the profile to (sort of) match a Kenskill, and I changed the overall dimensions to fit a stock double mattress.
Good luck, and post lots of pics!
--Dean
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves