Newbie all over again in Alabama...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie all over again in Alabama...

Postby TinKicker » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 pm

Hello, everybody! I've been visiting here for a couple years, but I think I've reached THE POINT. That's the moment where you mutter to yourself, "I'm doin' it!"
My wife and I have finally gotten things situated to where we can start thinking about the tear we've been wanting for so long, so it's into the serious planning stages now. She's actually excited about this! Sound kind of lame? Well, you just don't know how much she's really wanted one of those hotel-on-wheels RV's (she's a creature-comfort kind of girl--me, I'm ex-military, so the sparser, the more exhilarating!), and for me to finally get her fired up about a little ol' tear, it's--well, it's pretty awesome. Her idea of pure barbarian roughing it is a state park with showers and all the hookups. HA!
Seriously, though, she's my best friend of 18 years last October, and we look forward to reliving our 1st anniversary looking at the beautiful golden yellow mountainsides up in the Smokies some upcoming anniversary from the side door of our new teardrop!
The resources here are amazing--I've never stopped to look very deeply into all the stuff you guys have posted, but I'm very impressed. I just hate that I've missed out on some really good experiences with you all.
I think that's what I've always liked about camping--the camaraderie and family atmosphere and the almost insane desire to show somebody how to do something! I love it!
My retirement dream is to travel the nation with my little teardrop pulled behind one of my old VW Beetles--I've even got a little inspirational model I found in a railroad hobby shop of that very thing! It sits on my dresser, and every time I see it I think, "One day." I'll post a picture sometime soon for a laugh.
It always amazes me how folks want to travel the world but they never take the time to look around their own backyard. This country has some of the most awesome scenery you'll ever see anywhere, and I want to check all of it out. We hope to be able to start with the Grand Canyon for my 15-year-old daughter's high school graduation trip. She actually came up with that idea! I'm so proud!
Speaking of my daughter, I also have a 12-year-old son, which leads me to...my teardrop... We'd like to build a four person capable trailer with every convenience possible, including toilet (to please the sweetie). I've seen a couple on the web, but they didn't look too cool. If anyone can send me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
I'm looking forward to communing with you folks. I hope to see you out there!
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean_A » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Welcome! You'll find a lot of kindred spirits here!
I went with a more spartan style myself, so I can't help much with your specific needs, but you'll find lot's of folks here who can help.
Good luck!
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:22 am

Image to the playground Tinkicker. Check out the ET in the "General forum".

Also you might check out all of Steve Fredericks builds and his CD.

Also, look at the Design Library above.

Truthfully you will find bits and pieces of what you want all over the site.

What you won't find is a build big enough for 4 and a potty/shower that an old VW will pull. :(

Just jokin with you. Enjoy the planing and keep the :pictures: handy. Keeps the bubble oil level.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby TinKicker » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I forgot to tell you! My VW has a Ford V8 in the front with 400 horsepower. Payload is no problem.

Unrefined, yet surprisingly redneck. In a NASCAR sort of way. yee haw. :peace:

By the way, thanks for the welcome.
Kelsey
TinKicker
Teardrop Master

Guess who

Postby Novanut » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 am

Well, well, well... Imagine my suprise finding you here Kelsey. I've been a lurker here too. Have you looked at the Puffin? Or what do you have in mind? How come I haven't seen this Super Beetle yet? Ford??? Didn't I teach you better?
Novanut
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:09 am

TinKicker wrote:I forgot to tell you! My VW has a Ford V8 in the front with 400 horsepower. Payload is no problem.

Unrefined, yet surprisingly redneck. In a NASCAR sort of way. yee haw. :peace:

By the way, thanks for the welcome.

Finally, somebody built a good VW!!! :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves