Hello (I think!)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello (I think!)

Postby Markandjac » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Hello
Not sure if I did this already (I know I introduced myself on 'Teardrop Talk' but forgot my login, maybe not here though), anyway my name is Mark and I started building the chasis for my TD last year, then Christmas got in the way and so I've just picked up again.
Turned 50 this year hence the somewhat vaugue introduction.
I also recently got sidetracked fabricating a tow hitch for my tow vehicle whih is my much beloved '55 T'bird. Anyone done that? I suspect that they weren't designed as tow vehicles!
I'm now into some serious wood butchery which is actually going pretty well. The thing is I'm kind of working things out as I go along which isn't everyone's thing but I just can't work to that big planning system, I just deviate and might as well have not bothered planning at all.
My TD is in the style of the Modernaire design which I think is a beautiful shape. I got some fenders through George at 'Teardrop Parts' but will have to widen them as I should have ordered 11" not 9". Fiberglassing is the next skill on the list! Not George's fault but the shipping cost to the UK was horrendous so I can't just order another pair.
I got my paper profiles from Grant at Lil Bear and will soon need door fittings seals and hinges etc.
I need some advice at the moment if anyone can help. My TD has an external width (excluding wheels and fenders) of 56" so I need a 5' wide sheet for the roof. My UK aluminium supplier can supply the width but the minimum thickness for that size is 1.2mm (0.047") I reckon that's on the heavy side. Has anyone worked with this gauge of aluminum? or is it going to be a problem?
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mark
Markandjac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the forum... Have you been taking pictures of your build? Can you add them to your album?

Anyways, regarding that aluminum, I used .040 on my little Benroy, and it was fine. It was dead soft, so the router didn't work well on it. I ended up cutting it with a jig saw. You can see the pictures in this album somewhere...

http://www.mikenchell.com/4x8_Benroy_Photo_Album/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mini Renegade » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 am

Hi mark welcome to the forum, there is a list of suppliers etc on www.tearjerkers.net you will also find there is a few of us Brits on there as well.
You have found the best site in the world for info and tips on building the `drops, just remember to take loads of pics as you go, you can always delete em later.
rgds, Paul
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 am

Image to the playground Mark and Jac. Would love to see pictures of the T-bird and the TD. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the site and GitRdun. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Hello (I think!)

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Markandjac wrote:Hello
Not sure if I did this already (I know I introduced myself on 'Teardrop Talk' but forgot my login, maybe not here though), anyway my name is Mark and I started building the chasis for my TD last year, then Christmas got in the way and so I've just picked up again.
Turned 50 this year hence the somewhat vaugue introduction.
I also recently got sidetracked fabricating a tow hitch for my tow vehicle whih is my much beloved '55 T'bird. Anyone done that? I suspect that they weren't designed as tow vehicles!
I'm now into some serious wood butchery which is actually going pretty well. The thing is I'm kind of working things out as I go along which isn't everyone's thing but I just can't work to that big planning system, I just deviate and might as well have not bothered planning at all.
My TD is in the style of the Modernaire design which I think is a beautiful shape. I got some fenders through George at 'Teardrop Parts' but will have to widen them as I should have ordered 11" not 9". Fiberglassing is the next skill on the list! Not George's fault but the shipping cost to the UK was horrendous so I can't just order another pair.
I got my paper profiles from Grant at Lil Bear and will soon need door fittings seals and hinges etc.
I need some advice at the moment if anyone can help. My TD has an external width (excluding wheels and fenders) of 56" so I need a 5' wide sheet for the roof. My UK aluminium supplier can supply the width but the minimum thickness for that size is 1.2mm (0.047") I reckon that's on the heavy side. Has anyone worked with this gauge of aluminum? or is it going to be a problem?
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark & Greetings to the Forum from Finland.

Is that your T Bird that I was told about By the folks at Indespension Suspensions in the UK? They told me that not long ago they provided suspensions to a gentleman pulling a T Bird?

Yes please do post some photos of your T Bird..Im especially interested in the type of suspension and type of wheel you used on your tear frame.

Im also aware of the cost of shipping the fenders from the States. Its a lot to say mildly.

The 5 foot or 150cm wide aluminum has been very difficult to find here in Finland as well.

PS In the Indespension Catalog (Parts & Accessories)

Here are some ideas and a few parts Ive used.

Locking Handles - Part # BB052
Rod Locks - BB055 & BB054

The Moulding for outside edges I found at a local Caravan Center again expensive but with no other choice I finally got them.

its named awning profile..

Also if you look for windows (sliding ones) They are available at a few places that sell Horse Trailers.

And also at www.caralu.nl

The also carry the Fan Tastic Fan if you so desire.

Ive done a lot of searching for items over the years throughout Europe and again The Hinges Ive ordered from the States. Grant from Lil Bear is very helpful for parts also and does ship over. :thumbsup:

If I can assist in any way let me know.

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Thanks

Postby Markandjac » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome.
I have ordered my aluminium today (although it won't be needed for several weeks). Thanks for your feedback Mike.
Paul, I will check out the 'Tearjerkers' over the weekend, it's all a bit frantic at the moment.
Mr. Classic Finn, yes, it probably was my T'bird that the guys at Indespension mentioned. There probably aren't that many lunatics trying to pull Teardrop trailers around with T'birds over here! They were very helpful (and patient). I ordered a torsion bar system but when I test fitted the chassis, body, wheels and fenders the body was too high in relation to the road wheels so I asked them to strip the axle and rotate the torsion sets to effectively drop the body lower in relation to the axle centerline. They rebuilt it at no charge and it now stands perfectly.
I'm going to try and put some photos in my 'album' now, tried last night and made a mess of it, then accused my wife of losing the photos on the PC, it could have been nasty, but she's forgiven me now! (I think).

Cheers
Mark
Markandjac
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Thanks

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Markandjac wrote:Thanks, everyone for the warm welcome.
I have ordered my aluminium today (although it won't be needed for several weeks). Thanks for your feedback Mike.
Paul, I will check out the 'Tearjerkers' over the weekend, it's all a bit frantic at the moment.
Mr. Classic Finn, yes, it probably was my T'bird that the guys at Indespension mentioned. There probably aren't that many lunatics trying to pull Teardrop trailers around with T'birds over here! They were very helpful (and patient). I ordered a torsion bar system but when I test fitted the chassis, body, wheels and fenders the body was too high in relation to the road wheels so I asked them to strip the axle and rotate the torsion sets to effectively drop the body lower in relation to the axle centerline. They rebuilt it at no charge and it now stands perfectly.
I'm going to try and put some photos in my 'album' now, tried last night and made a mess of it, then accused my wife of losing the photos on the PC, it could have been nasty, but she's forgiven me now! (I think).

Cheers
Mark

Mark It was Ben Smale who mentioned your T Bird, had to check my email but yes patient they are and very helpful.

Which axle or suspension did you use? (Product number) Also how high or low is your frame with this axle? what bolt pattern do you use with these? And style of wheel?

Small world after all isnt it? :lol: :lol:

Best regards

Heikki (Classic Finn) ;)
Last edited by Classic Finn on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Mark that T Bird is sharp..

Hope you dont mind I posted your pic.. :oops:
:lol:

Yup thats the one they mentioned.. :D :D

What Ben told me it was sort of tough to match the US Type Wheels to the hubs ... thats why Id really like your information..

Ben also joined the Forum here. Just maybe he,ll catch this thread. :)

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Markandjac » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi
Sorry for not getting back to you but Iv'e been busy and haven't had chance to check out the forum.
I'm happy to see the T'bird posted. I had intended to put some build pictures of the Teardrop so far but I haven't quite got the hang of the photo thing yet.
I have to go out now to a birthday party and drink far too much beer (probably). I'll get some answers for you tomorrow if possible.
Mark
Markandjac
Teardrop Inspector

Photo muppetry!

Postby Markandjac » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:04 pm

Mr Classic Finn (what is your name?)
I was trying to figure out the photo thing and deleted the T'bird picture from my album not realising that it would delete the link to your message. I have reinstated it now! along with some 'progress so far' pictures of the TD and T'bird. I'll get back to you with TD the axle detail.

If anyone else who might be taking a look at my new found photo transfer skills would like to comment on my trailer progress so far it would be welcome. I originally bought the Kuffel Creek plans but to be honest I haven't really used them. I got the paper profile from Grant (Lil Bear) and copied (kind of) the Luxotear chassis. The rest I'm just making up as I go along. Don't know if its right or wrong but I got the side panels all square and level and then put in 2 x 20mm thick plywood bulkheads which held everything together pretty well. Don't have any 96° corners yet!

I have ½" WPB ply sides and floor (on a 4" x 1" frame) and 20mm foam board insulation (40mm in the roof). Internal boards are 4mm ply with 20mm x 50mm ply wall framing. I decided that I didn't like the horizontal roof stretchers so I turned them vertically and doubled them up in the middle of the roof. I'm not planning to be doing any jumping on the roof (240 lbs!) but I didn't want it to sag or flex too much.
Anyway that's enough 2 fingered typing and photo editing for one night.
Cheers
Mark
Markandjac
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves